Johno's 86 Corolla Seca

Johno

Cheers for the motivation guys :y:

I wrote a list of things i have to do to it before i can paint it.

Its got about 20 things on the list. I guess if i knock 1 thing off the list every night after work i will get through it.

Its just little things like prep wash engine bay, mask up rear window, bog up rust hole in left panel.

Its not going to get done unless i do it. Thanks once again.

I had a bender of a night last night and i just woke up now, I guess i better drag my lazy ass off the chair and finish sanding the roof.

Just to motivate me a bit more i am going to say, next picture I post up will be the roof painted.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I havent actually looked thru all the months of the calender...

But I was more refering to a ae82 Seca :y:

Unless there is one and I havent seen it yet... Sorry man!

no need to apologise....

hopefully we can put johnos and webers secas sides-by-sides whens theys dones.

Just to motivate me a bit more i am going to say, next picture I post up will be the roof painted.

Like I said, when its painted then I will post up pics, well here they are.

Finished the prep on the roof then it was time for painting.

I had to mask up my rear quarter window but I ran out of 3M blue tape but that was not going to stop me. I just used cheap white tape, gotta remember to take it off tomorrow.

Blue car cover.. didnt want to see it yesterday :y:

DSC00301.jpg

After finished the prep on roof

DSC00303.jpg

After etch primer is sprayed on

DSC00304.jpg

Fans to get rid of the overspray mist

DSC00305.jpg

Finished for now

DSC00306.jpg

Edited by Johno

Like I said, when its painted then I will post up pics, well here they are.

Finished the prep on the roof then it was time for painting.

I had to mask up my rear quarter window but I ran out of 3M blue tape but that was not going to stop me. I just used cheap white tape, gotta remember to take it off tomorrow.

That is the way a little bit at a time and you will soon be painting the final coat,

Got me some pics over the last few days. Going slow with progress but progress none the less :(

Bonnet

DSC00320.jpg

DSC00327.jpg

Red pannel before paint

DSC00323.jpg

2k Undercoat

DSC00322.jpg

DSC00321.jpg

Rust!!

DSC00314.jpg

Up Close and personal

DSC00315.jpg

Wet panels to see any slight dents, all good :D

DSC00317.jpg

DSC00318.jpg

don't know if you can see it, Macro focus on phone is not too good.

The spray is a bit rough, I guess thats what you get when it's stinking hot and you don't use a spray booth :P

DSC00325.jpg

Corolla is looking at the first sprayed panel, she thinks it all looks good and gave me the go a head to do the rest of her doors, lol.

DSC00324.jpg

Edited by Johno

don't know if you can see it, Macro focus on phone is not too good.

The spray is a bit rough, I guess thats what you get when it's stinking hot and you don't use a spray booth :P

Are you talking about the dimpling in the paint? Like a golf ball?

You do know what "guide-coat" is and how it works yeah?

Looking good. So that's all undercoated?? Or is that the end colour??

Sad to hear about your rust. Hope that's the worst of it. Just be happy you don't have a KE55.

Yeah, thats just the first coat of undercoat. Going to paint another 2 coats of undercoat. That one is just a filler one. Next will be just the normal undercoat then last one will be coloured undercoat for Metallic later. Thats about the biggest rust hole in the car. I have seen some pretty bad rust on some cars on rollaclub and i'm just glad i don't have anything like them. I treated it and bogged it up. The bumper will go over it so i wont see it.

looking good , you are making excellent progress. what color are you going to paint the car?

Sort of a light mushroom/sandstone metallic colour. Its usually seen on Nissan Xtrails. Or a Mazda 626 colour. Just have to get the paint codes. I think the mazda 626 is 4a. What a co-incidence!!?

Are you talking about the dimpling in the paint? Like a golf ball?

You do know what "guide-coat" is and how it works yeah?

The "Golf Balls" you talk of, Is that where its orange peel spray? The rough paint surface is because the spray mist landed on the paint while it was wet. A mate from work gave me that undercoat. Its a few years old so it was really thick. I had to turn the pressure up to 90psi on the compressor and open the air on the gun almost full because it was not spraying properly. I used about 20% Debeer 2k thinners. It was still too thick but yeah.

I know what a guide coat is but not too sure how it works. I thought you spray on one colour, which i have done, then spray on another undercoat then sand off the second undercoat until you just see the first undercoat colour about to come through. Is that right? I'm all new to this car painting thing and yesterday was the first time i ever used 2 pack. :P

Hey Johno!

Was that rust on the passenger side?

If so, mine did the exactly the same thing and it all comes thru from the petrol cap!!!

Ill have a gander at mine and see what we did to overcome it (was long ago and can't remember lol)

Keep up the awesome work man!

Cheers, Moe

EDIT: had a better look at your photos and it is the passenger side :P

Edited by RollaBus_4agze