Ke70, True 1982 Timewarp. Check It Out!

Ben-89

Hi my name is Ben and I'm new to the forum and have been involved in Corollas quite a long time. I currently own two Corollas which are a ke70 and an ae94.

The ke70 gets taken out every month or so just to get things moving, It used to belong to my granpa before he passed away two years ago and left it to me.

More details and pictures to come, hope to know a lot of you enthusiasts soon.

PS sorry for leaving the cruise last sunday early

Edited by Ben-89

Members dont see this ad

Thanks for the fast replies, the ke70 is nearly 100% original, with the exception of a car stereo upgrade in the mid 80s, and an external electric antenna. Every car that grandpa had always had a windshield on the door, so three years ago when I was at pick a part I spotted a ke70 that had one, so I bought it.

After I bought it, I gave it a good clean and I went over to visit and I put it on the car. Then later on when grandpa came out he saw it and was absolutely stoked! A few months later he became unwell, but could drive if he had to, unfortunatley after that he was diagnosed with cancer and was too weak to survive it.

That was when his legacy was passed on to me. Like grandpa, I like things kept original too, when he was alive I remember asking him If could put some decals on the car, along with some dress rims. And if it wasn't the thing that was specifically original for the car he would say no. But when I would show him the ke70 options brocure he would quickly say yes.

After the go ahead, I did the searching around the wreckers and eventually came across a set of dress rings which I polished up, then after that I started looking for a sign writer to make up my decals. With the decals, I got the colour matched to the existing navy blue pin stripes, and the style of the writing matched to the Corolla badge thats on the boot. These were put on the car shortly after, and grandpa loved it.

My daily driver is an ae82 hatchback that is a fantastic little car with some go, This like the ke70 is a manual but a 5 speed and a 1.6 litre ohc engine. Today the ae82 clocked on 332,000 km and still goes. Mind you, the car spent 19 years of its life up in the country before being sold to pick a part in campbellfield, then coming to us. For a car with that many kilometers, it is still quite tight.

Even has the wind deflector.

Those things are extremely annoying on an E7 especially when your window winder is a real pain to move too. When I first got my second AE71 I made the mistake of going up to a toll booth in it, I could barely get my arm out of the window with that stupid wind deflector.

First mod to that car was to get rid of it :D

Nice KE70 though :)

The wind deflectior is a acquired taste, you either like it dislike it. Glad you liked the car anyway. The objective with this car is to give it the original looking appreance. As mentioned in the previous post, a ke70 options brocure gave me the ideas to add these accessories.

When I got the car it already had some genuine options/accessories on it, Starting with toyota embossed mudflaps up front with embossed corolla at rear and remote boot release. Later on I added a genuine early model ke70 LH mirror, chrome wheel trims, charcoal/dark blue seat covers, rear venetian and headlight covers.

Later on with a white paint marker I outlined the outer circle of the tyre wall, for all the tyres to give it an old school flavour that wasn't too strong, as I wouldn't call them whitewalls.

wow man! thats a overrated and i mean overrated KE70. The AE82 is a good little daily they do go for ever tho like most Toyota's. So you keepint is stock in continuation from your grandpa's work or doin some of your own mods to it? either what thats an amazing little car.

To be honest i don't mind the wind deflector haha.

Cheers Karl

Thanks Karl, some of grandpa's influence rubbed off on to me in regards to maintaing the originality of cars. Especially this one!! As far as mods go, this car is much too original or good to me to modify in any way. All I do is garage it with a cover on it and take it out on the occasional drive. It's clocked on 129,8XX, close to 130,000 km. I basically want to keep the km's low.

Going by the photos, you would assume it's the cs model, as it has the pinstripes and chrome trims on the wheels. But infact it's the se model, that had the plainest body with no dressings. So the car in the past has been optioned up a bit with genuine accessories. This one also has the blue vinyl inerior that is unmarked, not cloth or veleuor that are more common to see.

Glad you like the car.

Went out today and bought spark plug leads, condensor and points for the ke70. Recently I put in new spark plugs, rotor button and distributor cap. So they wont be getting replaced, as the car in the past 12 months has only travelled just under 2000 kms.

My ae82 the daily, will be getting new spark plugs soon when I service it next as the current ones are getting worn, as the kilometers have built up over 2.5 years.

Did some exterior/cosmetic work on the ae82 a few weeks ago. As the top pinstripes were peeling and breaking in places I decided it was time to freshen it up and replace them. So carefully with the razor blade I removed both top pin stripes, cleaned the surface and then applied the new tri-stripe or tripple pin stripe. These stripes were the closest I could come across that were actually black.

But looking at these stripes, they blend in and complement the lower decals and stripes as they appear bolder. Theres nothing like 80s style pinstriping that can make a Corolla look a little more unique. The lower Hatch decals were a genuine dealer option, over the four years of having this car, I have only seen another four or five hatches with the same decals.

I also replaced the normal Toyota badge on the grille with a series 2 Corolla badge with the "C" logo, then cut down, filed and smoothed and fitted the badge to the grille before it was treated to some paint to outline the C and the three over head stars as they were stone chipped.

More photos and updates soon.