Fuel Economy

Mr Hardware

Hi All

I have a 1980 KE55 Sedan with a stocko 4K-C in front of a stocko 5 speed.

She drinks too much for my liking. 400km will be 48L or so, and it doesn't really change much whether I have a bad case of lead-foot-itis, or i granny drive her. Thats city driving though. She comes down to about 40L for 400km of highway.

I have changed oil, oil filter, air filter and spark plugs. I use normal Unleaded and FlashLube fuel treatment.

She's got plenty of power. I don't need any more power.

What are some ways I can make her drink less without losing power, and without costing the earth?

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, i don't feel like killing her to save a few bucks.

I know the fuel economy ain't too bad, but after driving Nana's new Toyota Echo Automatic, and having 300km cost me $18 in her, i just wanted one.

The only other place you get that kind of saving is LPG.

How do you tune a 4K-C? What numbers do i need?

Vaccuum Guage Install - Cheap

Get the Carby rebuilt and rejetted if necessary - Cheap

These should get you well on your way to fuel savings

My grandad has a Vacuum guage in his VH Dunnydore. Does it tell you fuel economy?

How much is cheap?

And how much is cheap for a carby rebuild?

No mods whatsoever.

I am a computer technician. I have no real Idea about cars.

I know how to change oil, oil filter, spark plugs, spark plug leads, battery, air filter, coolant but thats about it.

I would not be game to rip off my carby.

If i could get 450km from 40L I would be over the moon.

I don't even get that on the highway.

Well, my Camry (3SFE, 2L) does just under 600km of mostly highway driving, on a tank of approx 55L. It does about 500-550ish km of city driving on the same tank. Towing a trailer, I got less than 300km on the same tank. Mostly because I had to rev each gear out a fair bit, and even doing 90km on the highway I had to sit in 4th gear, unless I was going downhill. On the steeper hills it was back to 3rd...

My Corolla (4AGE), I have no idea because I've never run the tank much below 1/4...

Edited by demuire

I get 400-450km out of a tank of petrol in my KE70, most of my driving is highway driving, though I'm never easy on the throttle, always giving it lots of stick. I recon I could still get about another 50-100kms out of the tank if I was game enough to run the car from the empty mark down..

i'd check the exhaust just to make sure you haven't got a blocked muffler, i know adding electronic ignition helps, they start easier and are i little more fuel friendly.

i had a camry at use to do 550km to a tank around twon and almost 650 on the hi way, trying to remenber why i sold it.

Anyone interested in doing a coil pack conversion on a K motor :dance: Ive got some CA18 parts that would work beeautifully. Ive seen the CA18 CAS (crank angle sensor) grafted onto a datsun distrubutor before...but I can't find the pics of it anymore :D