Drift Project

tj011

no offense, but in my opinion, 25 grand on a corolla is a waste of money

i think you'd be better to buy something that's actually fast to begin with, has a decent factory suspension and lots of aftermarket parts available. you'd get so much more value for your money, and a way better car for your intended purpose at the end of it

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't waste a perfectly good AE86 with an SR... just go grab yourself a 180SX or S13 silvia for the same price (probably cheaper actually) and bolt your Isuzu straight in, if you can't find one that already has one fitted. Much easier to keep legal too, as it literally is a bolt in modification...

Diff setup from an R33 can then be bolted up to handle any extra power, as well as having a stack of LSD centres that came from the factory, there are an even wider selection of aftermarket stuff that can be had for reasonable prices.

A guy i know recently got (for 11 thou) a S13 with a 350bhp CA18DET in it. Fully redesigned suspension, and some serious rubber at all four corners.

What the guys have been saying about getting something that's already been built is so true... it's the best way to set up any race car... find someone that's been racing, and buy their 50 thou car for 15... it's a known fact that you never ever get back what you put into a fully worked car. not even these top show cars are actually worth what the builders have paid for them...

Just please don't hack up another classic toyota...

Actually, if you like the shape, find a Nissan Gazelle... they are a splitting image of each other...

Don't let these people turn you off if you really want to do up a KE. The problem with buying someones already complete work, is you don't learn anything, most people gain most there car knowledge whilst building cars. $25,000 well spent on a KE will produce an extremely competitive car, probably one that would leave any Silvia for dead. They are right though, cheapest thing is an SR20 half cut to get some go in a KE, as much as I hate mixing and matching engine and shell manufacturers.

Edited by beerhead

Don't me wrong, a very well set-up KE70, AE71 or AE86 would be great (especially with 25g thrown at it haha) but at the end of the day a S13, S14, or S15 is going to be better in the long run.

Personally if I was you and wanted to drift with a Corolla, I'd spend 10g building a Ke70 or Ae71, it will be a great drift car for your money, be good to learn in, and save the rest of your money for maintenance and repairs, parts are fair cheap too.

Cheers, Ben.