Going For Drivers Test

flat out

hey guys and girls, time has finally come for me to do my drivers test.

i have had my L plates for nearly 11 months and logged my 50 hours, with probably the same amount unrecorded.

i learnt to drive when i was 7? in a 4x4 off road, and have adapted to driving forklifts, trucks and can even reverse a semi trailer with easy and precison.

my big problem is my drivers test, i just feel as if I'm going to stuff up, my licence is very important to me as it will be a good thing when looking for my aprentaship (bosses love a young one that can drive and do stuff)

the only few things I'm not so great at is sticking nicly in the lane and not going over the lines,

not sure about the reving thing as i havn't driven a manual in months,

and reverse parking, but you get a few try's I'm told,

so if any one can give me pointers it would be great :yak:

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when i went for my drivers test i was shitting my dacks

i was so nervous i was shaking

but once your driving its actually really easy, its exactly the same as when your going out with the instructor

i totally screwed up the parralel park and did a few other little things but it was all good

just keep your cool, don't cut anyone off and check your mirrors

good luck :yak:

Don't second guess yourself. If there is a gap that you don't think you will fit in, don't worry. Wait until there is a good gap. The moderator will see it as being safe. And you get to waste your time. If there is a double laned road and theres cars parked in the lane, slow down to 50 because you are negotiating traffic... little things like this got me thru my 25 mins really easily.

The main this is to be safe. Thats what they look for.

Edited by smeetsy1

Practise!

If you're not so great at reversing, find a quiet road with a straight white line and try to reverse with your passenger's side wheel. My driving instructor did this with me. It's really good for practice.

Make sure you go under the speed limit by around 5km/h so if the assessor has a skewed view it still looks as though you're under.

As everyone has said, err on the side of caution.

I got marked down on my test for not pulling up exactly parallel to the trailer that I had to do a reverse parallel behind, and apparently for not being in total control when I was doing my 3 point turn (I've always been really haphazard with my hands flying everywhere when I do quick turning manouvres[?], but I feel I'm always in control of the car.)

Just relax and drive as you normally would and you will be fine!

I was due to go for my Ps just before the new laws regarding restrictions came in to effect in NSW, they were failing 90% of young males going for their licences.

The first time I went, the bloke failed me for having to lock up to avoid a dickhead that had just ran out infront of my car (about 10metres infront of me!) in the main street doing 50kays an hour, If I hadnt realised, and he hadnt been running, he would have been on my bonnet...

He cited that and the fact I was too cautious when turning right at a traffic light intersection (turning across traffic, speed limit of the cars coming towards me dropped just before the lights, and hey! I was nervous as hell! haha)

so that was money to the govt...

booked again one week before the new laws.....

want to know what he failed me on??

TOO CONFIDENT

the asshole stood there and told me I was too confident with my driving and all the manouvres and I needed to fail a few times to bring me down to earth to stop me being an overconfident driver.... told me my driving was excellent, didnt do anything wrong, it was just his discretion.......

I swiftly told him to stick his test up his arse and walked off, my old man then proceeded to abuse the prick about the fact he had failed me because of the new laws and rah rah rah.

next test was booked after the laws came in (had to wait a week before going for them again) passed with flying colours, the younger bird doing the test said I was one of the best drivers she had tested in the 5 years she had been doing it... and even admitted they were failing everyone in the leadup to the laws.... lovely hey!

Yeah, some driving assessors are pricks. But some are way way way too lenient.

I knew this bloke once who told me he passed his p-plate test after reversing into a car on his reverse parallel.

WTF?

:yak:

i totally screwed up on my parrelel park and the instuctor just told me that 'it's not like screwing up a parallel park will kill anyone'

where failing to give way or speeding can kill someone

Just relax :y:

Its not all stress, just like a driving lesson. Remember to check your mirrors before and after you indicate and i was told by my driving instructor to stay 5km/h under the speed limit on your test so you don't accidentally go over.

They only want to see how you drive, if you show them you can drive safely then they are happy.

Good luck! :yak: