Ke70 5K Build

anastasios

Hey guys I was driving home from uni last night in my ke70 with 4k and I noticed my oil light was on and my oil pressure was at zero, as my revs rose I could hear a loud tapping/rattling noise from my engine, and a strong smell, I went to the servo and bought some oil, when I opened my bonnet i could see white smoke puffing out of the breather, and also when i opened the cap there was white smoke coming out, i filled it with oil although it was dripping out from somewhere on the inlet side,

ive taken a look and think it might be the head gasket, what else could it be? the coolant looks darkish like a black colour, if it was a head gasket would it be making that loud tapping noise?

any help appreciated

Edited by anastasios

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, sounds like a head gasket.

What colour is the oil on the dipstick. Does it look like a maccas chocolate thickshake? If water is mixed with the oil it thickens it up and makes it harder for the oilpump to push it around the motor giving you that rattling noise.

I would say its more than a headgasket... more like a bearing has gone or a ring broken...

Time for a full strip if the noise didn't vanish when you added oil, as there is some mechanical piece with far too much clearnace now.

An expensive lesson but a valuable one, always keep your car full of oil!

How is it today??

and I noticed my oil light was on and my oil pressure was at zero,

The oil went somewhere... but it was gone!

and a strong smell

Burnt oil smell?? So not enough oil to carry the heat away that the oil was picking up & the remaining oil was burning.

You're right, if the head gasket was leaking compression into the water it would blow the water out until the bubbles could escape easily. That might only mean losing a third of the water tho'

Sounds like the oil escaped and a bearing has been stripped from lack of lubrication. You will soon find out if you lift the engine and take the sump off, then pull out the bearings. If you're lucky you can leave the pistons in place and just do the bearings.

when you pulled the head off, did the headgasket show signs of blowing?

driving it with the oil light on is a sure fire way of spinning a bearing, and doing much other damage.

if the oil pressure light comes on, or your gauge shows very little pressure, kill it, then work out whats going on

ok guys i have a new dilemma, i took off the sump of the engine i want to put in, and i cleaned up the sump a bit and found this piece of metal in the bottom of the sump, I'm not too sure where it comes from, any ideas?

02082009430.jpg

02082009431.jpg

02082009432.jpg

Edited by anastasios