January 16, 201016 yr comment_405841 We picked her up for a paltry price, the previous owner had to sell her due to geographic reasons, mainly that he wasn't remaining in our geographic location. He'd kindly removed all the rust and straightened the bumpers. Almost ready for paint... She came with the original 3K, 4 speed combo, and a 7MGE auto... the original owner was smitten with a certain 1hp per kg car featured on this site and wanted something similar. Now, however the tide has turned... She's going to be something a little more sensible. only a little. Over the next few months, we'll be approaching a range of technical aspects of building the "perfect" rolla... body prep, blocking, sanding, modding, spoilering, painting and detailing. Engine building, combining parts from different models, supercharging theory and practice, turbo carb tuning, custom fabrication. Suspension tuning and modification, spring selection. Interior styling, design and construction. It's a lot to go over, so pay attention children... We'll be taking the original 3K engine and freshening her up. complete strip down and rebuild, only we won't be using the original head... We'll have a fresh ported and polished 4K head, and we may or may not tackle o-ringing... undecided so far. We'll be fitting an adaptor plate to take the blow thru turbo Weber carburettor from a 2L Maserati and fabricating a inlet tract including intercooler to run from the SC12 Supercharger. We'll be aiming to build her to handle 20 psi or so. A large part of this will be re-jetting and tuning the carburettor, so we'll go into as much detail on this as possible. Next, we'll get a custom made clutch to put the power through a 5 speed box and bolt it all in. I hear rumour of a group who'll be experimenting with LSD centers for K series diffs so we'll be having a bit of fun seeing what the deal is with them. Body wise, she'll have the last few bits of straightening that she needs before being very carefully prepped for paint. Also, we'll be doing a number of body mods such as customizing the grill and fitting a duck-tail spoiler. We'll also be building a complete custom interior. Re-trimmed seats, custom dash and stereo install as well as a near complete re-wire. To get the sweet little thing sitting just right, the suspension will be converted to KE55 struts and diff as well as increased camber. Fortunately the steering is superb, so won't need rebuilding, although we will be putting new suspension and steering rubbers in. Rims will be touched up and polished and a set of new semi performance tires fitted. Perhaps I have too many rims to choose from, so we'll have to see what works best before deciding. To finish off the whole package I'll be adding some airbrushed decals and originally placed crome striping. Report
January 17, 201016 yr comment_405890 This is gonna be GOOOOOOD. can't wait to see the finished product :dance: Report
January 17, 201016 yr Author comment_405968 After an extensive search through the toyota colour charts, the final colour has been decided on. Dorado Gold Pearl from the toyota 4Runner... We'll be painting all the headlight and tail light surrounds silver and I've got a airbrush design that'll be silver and charcoal running down the sides. I want to end up with something exceptionally stylish and very clean, and certainly powerful. We'll be stripping apart the engine/s on tuesday, so expect more pics and technical posts as we discover what we have to work with engine wise... Report
January 17, 201016 yr comment_406093 should be good once its all done BUT i think your wasting your time with the sc/12 use the sc14 and you might have a hope of making 20psi :dance: Report
January 17, 201016 yr Author comment_406148 SC12 running on a 1.25 pulley ratio is good for roughly 21psi. Until the supercharger breaks... I'll be creating some form of pulley change system to enable "quick" change of the pulleys. I won't be running 20 psi and 150hp at the fly all day every day... more like just shy of 100hp on 10psi. I'll be able to change the pulley over at the same time as i swap the tires over to get traction down the strip. We are even talking about using a shot of giggle gas to get the power up even higher just for those special occasions. I'd love an end result of 200hp at the fly. that'd be dynamite... Report
January 18, 201016 yr Author comment_406295 Aww, I was hoping to score that sc12 for my 20 :dance: Mwahaha! considering I wanted to score your 20, i think it's all fair. funny thing is, i paid the same as you did for yours... I'm out to the steaming hot shed to get another shell out the way... it's 42 degrees in the shade today, and I'm under a hot tin roof... joy! Report
January 20, 201016 yr comment_407100 SC12 running on a 1.25 pulley ratio is good for roughly 21psi. Until the supercharger breaks... I'll be creating some form of pulley change system to enable "quick" change of the pulleys. I won't be running 20 psi and 150hp at the fly all day every day... more like just shy of 100hp on 10psi. I'll be able to change the pulley over at the same time as i swap the tires over to get traction down the strip. We are even talking about using a shot of giggle gas to get the power up even higher just for those special occasions. I'd love an end result of 200hp at the fly. that'd be dynamite... yea wont be able to run 20psi though a sc12, i run 16 psi though mine and it melted the sc rotors in one 5min drive then it went in the bin, anything other 10psi is just blowing hot air, i got a massive front moutn and still get hot air on 10psi. my car was fast running 10psi over the 16psi too go a sc14 run 12psi and be done with it Report
January 20, 201016 yr Author comment_407110 Yeah, i kinda wanted to know the limits of the SC12, but i'll still put it on in place of an SC14 as I have something much different in mind to upgrade to when (not if, but WHEN) she goes bang... But it's a secret... Anyways, didn't get the engine work started as I had to sort a couple of things out, such as re-shuffling the yard and clearing the tow truck. Considering though that I am not after stupid power (remembering that it's the wife's car) I may just settle for 8-10psi and does her on gas for the 400m sprint... We'll see though. Report
February 27, 201016 yr comment_417436 Don't take this the wrong way, but I would sure like to meet the wife that wants to drive a car like this! She must be quite a girl!! Can't imagine my wife wanting a car like this, although her second car (in 1986) was a KE20. Report
March 3, 201016 yr comment_418561 Don't take this the wrong way, but I would sure like to meet the wife that wants to drive a car like this! She must be quite a girl!! Can't imagine my wife wanting a car like this, although her second car (in 1986) was a KE20. hahah thats what i was thinking.... i think we are definately going to need more pics of this project. its good to see some body work has been done. damn i have to get me a ke20 one of these days. you guys had better not buy them all before i get a chance to buy one... Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now