Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Advice Needed On Transporting My Car

Featured Replies

Hey Guys,

 

I need a few opinions on what's the best way to move my KE10 project to a new place that I have just moved into.

 

I was thinking of renting a car trailer, but the KE10 currently has all of the brakes disconnected, including the handbrake.

 

Was looking at getting some of those hardcore ratchet ties that they use on car transport trucks etc, but I am not sure if they would support the car and stop it from moving under braking by themselves.

 

I know some car trailers have winches which would stop the car from rolling backwards, but I need to also stop it from rolling forwards under braking.

 

So, here are my options

 

1: Rent a car trailer and somehow secure the car so it doesn't move at all.

2: Get a tilt tray truck and transport it that way.

 

And, here are my questions:

 

1: If I get a trailer, can anyone suggest a good way to secure it. I'm thinking ratchet straps, chains etc

2: Can anyone recommend a good place to rent a trailer from in S/E Brisbane?

3: Can anyone recommend a good towing/tilt tray service in S/E Brisbane?

 

Any help greatly appreciated. I'm looking to move the car this sunday 21st Feb.

 

Thanks

 

Davros

I used a trailer and shitty cheap thin ratchet straps to transport my van so I'm sure a trailer and chunky ratchets will do the job on a little rolla!

 

And most servo's hire out the trailers for a reasonably price.

 

If you use a trailer some of them have pins at the pointy end you need to pull out to tilt the tray to get it on, I've seen dudes winching their cars on without pulling them out and wondering why the car is bottoming out!

Towed for years using a ratchet tiedown - the ones used to hold down loads on trucks - at the front and a one of those looped over the diff and attatched to the back of the trailer. Process was to drive car up onto trailer, loop tiedown over diff, roll car forward, fit front tiedown. Tension up front tiedown and the car never moved. Leaving in gear isn't a bad idea either.

 

NEVER trust any winch, especially on a hire trailer.

yeh, I'd never ever trust anything but a rope (truckies hitch, look it up, variation on a sheep shank) or a ratchet strap. The winch is there to winch the car on as far as I'm concerned, not to hold it there!

  • Author

Thanks for the ideas guys. Being such a light car it seems a good solid truckers hitch and a few ratchet straps would do the trick.

The custom tailshaft isn't in yet so leaving it in gear wouldn't make much difference!

 

However, after a few phone calls I think my solution is at hand... Have been quoted $84 for a tilt tray, compared to $107 for a half day trailer hire.

 

Admittedly, trailer hire was from Kennards. I am sure the local servo probably would be cheaper. However I don't think I can go past the tilt tray.

 

Thanks again for the help. JIP - Ill give those places a call and get some quotes. Ill let yall know what was the cheapest.

 

Cheers

 

Davros

Good work on finding a cheap tray truck tow :hmm:

 

I have found a guy who does my tows for $80 every time, as long as I work in with him. If I added the cost of a trailer, petrol and the associated hassle of using a trailer the $80 is so so sweet.

 

:y:

The second last time I moved a car.

 

Was told early in the week I couldn't book a car trailer at local servo, as we don't do bookings. If you get here early, you'll be right. Get there very early, hitch up trailer, go inside to pay. Sorry you can't have it, has been booked. Find another trailer at another servo in frantic drive around. Pick up car. Nearly destroy my tow car as the trailer weighs about 2 tons, and of course the trailer lights don't work. Terrified I will take out every passing car, pedestrian or tree as trailer is hella wide. Clutch will never be the same. Ended up costing about $120. Then had to take trailer back. Get home to be abused by wife who had to be somewhere.

 

Last time I moved a car.

 

Rang Towie recommended by fellow member. He arrived exactly on time, winched car onto tilt tray. 25 mins later it is sitting exactly where I asked. $80.

 

 

I wonder which method i will use next time......

I've got the same problem except mine is from sydney to newcastle. Anyone know of any reputable tilt tray towies that could help?

not aloud to have only the winch holding the car.

 

as a truck driver myself.

hire a truck its easyer and cheaper and all you have to do is pay the man.

 

but if you wanted to get a trailer check your berings on the trailer after 20kms

 

and use four straps if you can.

 

and don't worry about the hand brake.

 

despite my car that wasnt running. engine to the front of the trailer

 

check load after 20kms.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.