More Camber On Ke20

B-Rad

Hey I just lifted my Ke20 rally car for more clearance but now I have lost all of my negative camber.

Is there a way of changing my lower control arm to something longer? Does anyone sell adjustable ones? Have they been done before? Do I need to modify my steering rack?

I don't want to put adjustable top plates in they are to expensive and you only get a small amount out of them. All of my front suspension is standard except for springs.

Thanks in advance

B-Rad

Members dont see this ad

1) mx62 lower control arms are a fair bit longer and line up at all the correct places,

balljoint interface may need some solution though...

2) cut and shut, and reinforce two ke20 lower control arms for a longer one,

if its just for offroad, reason being its illegal onroad to do so.

3) make adjustable rosejoint lower control arms and dial them out to camber desired, also offroad only.

4) redrill crossmember mounts for lower control arms, not sure on legalities

5) use offset negative camber roll centre adjusters

6) bend strut stub axle ( i don't seem to like this but its an option, about 1/2 to 1 deg max possible)

7) camber plates, but as you said with std diameter springs theres hardly any room

in the tower to move inwards, unless converted to coilovers which is pricey.

Edited by styler

1) mx62 lower control arms are a fair bit longer and line up at all the correct places,

balljoint interface may need some solution though...

Direct bolt into KE2#???? so bolts to crossmeber and castor rods and sway bar bolt up no mods???

What ball joint do MX62 use?? KE70/AE86 one BJ145?

Can you buy camber tops to suit the ke20 strut off the shelf?

Dave at A.J.P.S is a distributor for cusco who make #E2# camber tops: http://www.ajps.com.au/news/cusco_distributor.asp

redrilled my 20's crossmember. Can move the mounting hole close to 25mm each size.

Hmm, interested in doing that myself but the downsides to it are legalities (is it or isn't ok) and once its done its.

Just thinking about it and the later model corollas use a cam bolt on the rear end

post-1432-1268916927_thumb.jpg

Basically its a washer with an off centre bolt running through it with a "fence" on either side of the washer to force it to rotate in a circle pushing the control out or pulling it in.

Possibility ?

That sounds functional, but getting one thats the right diameter and width is going to be interesting.

If someone can get me some measurements of the standard inner lower control arm bush, I can flick through the Nolathane catalogue at work and see what I can find :)

I am currently building some coilovers and using the cusco camber tops. I haven't finished them yet but I would have thought with the slimmer strut (as a result of coilover conversion) you will be able to crank more camber out of the camber tops and not affect the track so much as you are not modifying the lower control arm.

I have heard if you use the camber tops with the standard strut it is not so useful as the strut does not have enough room to move within the tower, being too wide.

I was thinking someone could potentially make something like that in a lathe and use the stock bolt, however the original crossmember would have to have a slot in it and a shouldered section welded on.

Also everyone should avoid negative roll center adjusters unless they have a very specific reason for not doing so.

Edited by Sam_Q

Maybe look at caster aswell.

Caster gives you camber when your wheels are turned, on the outside wheel.

It also has alot of benifits especially in a rally car when your usually sideways.

And tends to give an almost auto correct, and nice when counter steering. Also nice feel through the steering.

I know its not camber but might be something to look into

I was thinking someone could potentially make something like that in a lathe and use the stock bolt, however the original crossmember would have to have a slot in it and a shouldered section welded on.

Thats about how its done on the fwd corollas with irs

Also everyone should avoid negative roll center adjusters unless they have a very specific reason for not doing so.

I've heard of the rca's but negative rca's ? From what i'm figuring is that they push the bottom of the strut off centre from where it'd normally sit on the steering arm, correct ? If thats the case i can understand why cause it'd upset the steering axis

Maybe look at caster aswell.

Caster gives you camber when your wheels are turned, on the outside wheel.

It also has alot of benifits especially in a rally car when your usually sideways.

And tends to give an almost auto correct, and nice when counter steering. Also nice feel through the steering.

I know its not camber but might be something to look into

Whiteline at one stage had a pretty good write-up on caster. But here's another one

http://www.eioba.com/a5370/suspension_alig...djusting_caster