Twin Turbo?

iwontarolla

i was just sitting around going though a fastfours mag and was wonder has any one everytryed twin turbos on a 4k or 4AGE engine? see all the bigger motors twin turbo but never little ones. would twin garrett GT1241 work? please no it would but its would be easier to just go single. i wont to know about twin turbos

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most twin turbos cars run sequential turbos - meaning one will spool quicker than the other, and hence the other will give better top end. Its was basically for a bit of a compromise to try and get good power and torque throughout the rev range.

Most twin turbz cars just get converted to singles for better top end with a loss in low-mid response being the expected compromise.

I would like to do a twin turbo 7k one day with twin CT12's off a 1ggtte, but it would only really be for wank factor. Again you'd probably be better off with one well suited turbo like the TD04-L I used to have.

I believe the main reason that smaller engines don't usually have twin turbos is that they don't have the displacement of larger engines - meaning there is less air to be pressurised, so you don't need as many air pumps. One turbo is generally smoother, cheaper and simpler for the manufacturers, and if it's a small engine in the first place, then it's perfectly suited. :wink:

yea all good point just be some thing really diffrent. might bejust a fun thing to do for a daily or so thing yes?

Its been done recently and in Brisbane.

It was done by sam from razorback (formerly).

The car was for sale a while back. It may have been sc and turbo but I can't remember. His username was "fox" or something. You could probably find it by searching the members and then his topics. From all accounts it went awesome.

Most twin turbos cars run sequential turbos - meaning one will spool quicker than the other, and hence the other will give better top end. Its was basically for a bit of a compromise to try and get good power and torque throughout the rev range.

That stands true for inline engines, but V6/V8s etc tend to run two small parallel turbos, one feeding off each exhaust bank to make piping easier.

So if you wonted good power down low and up top you would have to run a smaller turbo and when that is spolled the bigger one kicks in and takes over? Is it as simple as just making a twin turbo manifold and outing one small one bigger turbo on or do you have to set it up in a diffrent way?