4age Ecu, Adm Vs Jdm

Johno

first off, its good to see someone useing some real measuring equipment!!! and not just talking from the butt dyno.

65kw or ~87hp, thats a pretty good number for a bigport yeah? your engine in pretty good nic?

interesting that the different ecu didnt make much difference, and its pretty definate result being back to back dyno.

you have a few more torques there? but not much i guess.

to bad your not in brisbane, would be cool to put my jap 86 ecu on your engine/car, and also run my car up on the same dyno (with both ADM and 86 jap ecu) just to get some proper comparisons. though mine is RWD, yours FWD, but still would have been good to see.

maybe you should try and chase down a jap ae86 ecu? even if its just for testing? be very intersting to see what number it pulled. I'm sure some nice 86 owner would let you borrow it in the name of science.

also what gear where you in? ie what RPM were the peak torques and kw?

Members dont see this ad

Look at where the jdm ecu is above the curve. Its got more power where its convienient to have it in a street car.

Not great but its a bit of a difference.

I'd also like to see the ae86 ecu thrown into the mix. Ive always managed to find that the rumoured superiority that ae86 parts posses is usually hype. Id have to say id think it would be about the same power. Send him yours for a week Dave. You guys could mail swap ecus in the name of science, he has 2 of them so why not have him send you the adm one to get it going then theres no downtime?

Anyhow, let the science continue. :jamie:

• 2 months later...

I'm getting an autronics ecu installed in my 4age 20v with wiring and tuning it cost $3500, anyway i need a variable cam sensor mine is stuffed my mechanic can't chase one down anywhere and he couldnt match one up does anyone know where i can find one?

• 2 years later...

Old thread revival:

OK so I've been doing a bit of reading around, a few threads here on RC, a few threads elsewhere.

A lot of conflicting information about whether the bigport JDM AE86 ECU can produce more power than an ADM AE82 ECU.

Now, I have the opportunity to get a JDM ECU. I'm not really too fussed on whether or not it actually does produce more power or if its a JDM fanboy placebo at the moment, just curious about pinouts.

Diagram A:

ecu pinouts.png

There seem to be a few inconsistencies here. A lot of what I've read has been 'plug and play' but the pinouts seem different.

Any inside info from anyone on this?

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

Without going back over the thread, my understanding was that the injectors are fired differently from the AE82 ADM to the JDM AE86.

I know if I put a ADM ECU in my factory loomed AE86, it won't fire.

Worth noting the 4AGE's were also fitted into Celica's and Corona's over there, so worth checking the part number to ensure you actually get an AE86 GT ECU. Off the top of my head there were 2 or possibly 3 versions that were AE86 specific.

If you look here at the diagnostics manual, the pinouts and various systems are well set out

If you are talking about this one:

AE86 Corolla 4AGE - (Largeport / TVIS / MAP / Yellow Plugs)

Toyota Part Number: 89661-14061

That part number is definitely wrong. I checked on a certain unnamed part website and can tell you that ECU was for the Carina/Celica/Corona.

I am positive (and have checked) that there were 2 factory JDM AE86 4AGE ECU's

89661-12051 9/83 - 4/85

89661-12150 5/85 - 3/87

I have one of each

Of course there were also USDM and Euro versions.

• Upvote 2

You can pick them up really cheap on yahoo, and there are usually 2 pages of them. And as they don't weigh much, post is cheap.

There are always a few modified Jap tuning house ECU's there too. Problem is no instruction manual and a few extra inexplicable plugs.

http://www.importmonster.com.au/yahoo?cat=2084008431&term=ae86#2084008431

• Upvote 1