4k-c Turbo Build!

Jaydnisevil

Have not really had much to talk about, but been working on little bits and pieces.

I installed the larger return line (10mm copper line) running in roughly parallel to the old one; So that's all running (Still need to mount the rear pump)

Other updates, my step-dad bought me a 32/36 weber (Not sure why as I nearly had the old one set) But it's a better carbie, ill be able to use the secondaries and will be easier to tune :)

Had to order a kit for it though, was pretty blocked up and aged.

Until the kit arrives I cleaned her up, and hooked up to the engine; runs well.

photo1-1.jpg

Iv'e also got my thermofan fitted and running today :)

photo2-1.jpg

Hard to make it neat, but I tried.

Now given the 32/36 is different I will need to change the carby hat -_-

So I'm looking at something like: http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-N-85-8921-Universal-Plenum-/330745696167?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item4d01facfa7&vxp=mtr#ht_2360wt_1159

They ain't cheap, so ill buy one after I get back from the Mt bulla when I have some spare cash.

• 4 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad

Have made a throttle cable bracket, secured some wiring, new carbie fitted and running with a kit through it.

As of today I have my new carbie hat all fitted up, will be modifying the clamp bracket tomorrow to remove the speed clip and tack a nut on the bottom instead.

Will be interesting to see what the mixture's are like, and I will make the throttle linkage this weekend hopefully.

As for driving I will need to secure my fuel pump and or install a serge tank. After that though, I can't think of much more to do.

I need to swap my exhaust to a side-pipe still :)

As for this picture, this weekend I'm going to cut one of the IC pipes shorter to make it come across the motor at 90 degrees.

That and clean off the old paint from the pipes.

IMG_2389.jpg

Edited by Jaydnisevil

Haha, one is never "Done" playing with cars :P

Nahh I get ya, getting close now.

Mixture will DEFINITELY need tinkering with!

The standard jets were 140:140, and any rpm or moderately fast opening would just lean out and backfire respectively

Above 3000 the mixtures were around >15:1 on the primaries with no load. Open the second and it would either die or backfire.

I threw in a 170:175/180ish and its stacks better in neutral, but need to road test (For which I will need another permit)

Required to drive any reasonable distance:

Minuscule radiator leak

Give fuel pump permanent fixture

New carby gasket (Minor leakage of fuel bubbles under boost)

Mixtures!

Vacuum distribution block (Should arrive this week)

looks like its come a long way man.

becoming a very solid build should chuck a t25 on her and really get her going

i know simon comes across as a know it all man but when it comes to turbo k motors his up there with the godfathers of turbo k goodness

and his not out to knock ur build or take over his just giving u pointers on how to get urs sorted and running right

but anyway loving the build stuff the sr keep it k bro keep it k

• Upvote 1

P6200374.jpg

Has come quite a way lol.

Haha I've spent enough money on her as it is, the CT9 is doing it's job; and well I might add =)

I just cannot justify the larger turbo, when I have such a limited room to improve.. I'm still stuck with 1.3L of non cross flow, pushrod, carbie glory :P

If I were doing a built K, absolutely! I'd get low comp pistons, proper turbo cams, custom turbo manifold, copper head-gasket and a nice fat turbo etc.

From memory I'm currently capable of half boost by 2500 and full by 3000ish gives me a nice drivable range; so long as I am making and maintaining my desired boost level at top RPM, I'm happy =)

But that was using one ventrui, might be a tad better now I have two.. MIGHT..

Well I partialy agree, the SR seems like a lot of work and I still wont be happy..i'm actually leaning towards a 1UZ now, as I have the opportunity to buy one rather cheap.

I love the idea of an old beat up looking corolla burbling at the lights =P

Well that's a good point, and not to mention tone is very hard to convey over digital media.

DAMMIT PHOTOBUCKET, RESIZE ALREADY!

Ohh Mr H! Let's see here, you have a 4k with a turbo and just fixed your radiator leak.. Well it says here you have a head-gasket....

3pk9ba.jpg

Lol :)

I suspected a while back the HG was gone, but never blew any smoke.. Untill I decided to patch the pinhole leak in my radiator and smoke the street out :P

So today I spent the morning pulling my head off, heaps easier than I thought! Already was cleaning the block face in just over an hour.

Anywho, some pictures are in order.

Carby off again:

IMG_2468-1.jpg

Rocker cover off:

IMG_2473.jpg

Pushrod's and bolts ordered:

IMG_2475.jpg

Plugs that are normally not necessary to remove, but I'm having the head hot-tanked:

IMG_2476.jpg

Rocker gear removed and head bolts loose, some of them were NOT tight, so I suspect that is partly my problem:

IMG_2477.jpg

Quite a bit of water wept in overnight :P

IMG_2478.jpg

Culprit:

IMG_2480.jpg

Openings all closed off:

IMG_2481.jpg

Deck cleaning stone and required lube:

IMG_2483.jpg

Manifold is off getting a clean up and a black paint:

IMG_2484.jpg

Can you say detonation? :P

IMG_2485.jpg

If you look at the photo of the water in the block, you can see piston 1 is rather clean! Well they all are, that was just the one I had wiped over.

Given that I suspect it may have been rebuilt a while back (Score!) I reckon the loose headbolts were because they were never checked after the rebuild.

Anywho thats the update.. Ohh and before I fixed the raditator, I sorted my fuel mixtures :)

Edited by Jaydnisevil

My VRS (Vale re-seat) kit arrived today, so will be putting some new stem seals in while the head's off.

Anywho I've got some photos of the head, rocker cover and rockers all cleaned up; came up spectacularly!

Rocker cover still needs a coat of paint, not sure I like the silver.

If you look at the above photos for comparison, huge difference.

IMG_2499.jpg

IMG_2497-1.jpg

IMG_2498.jpg

IMG_2500.jpg

IMG_2501.jpg

Now my dad happens to have access to a milling machine, and has ground out the combustion chamber to drop the compression a little :D

On top of that, he's putting a 45degree edge on the chamber face.. Apparently with the early VL turbo's that edge would be a cause of detonation at higher boost and well.. can't hurt to get rid of it :P

photo2-2.jpg

Edited by Jaydnisevil

Dude, all you needed to do with the draw through setup was run a line from the intake to the crankcase with a checkvalve from a brake master cylinder line. On boost, crankcase is ~atmospheric. Let off the throttle, mega vacuum in intake + turbo, mega vacuum in crankcase, no oil gets sucked out :)

Also, I've got lost in your thread... are you running a rising rate fuel pressure regulator to the blow through carb? You need to keep the fuel pressure going into the carb a few psi higher under all conditions or you'll get no fuel or wayy too much :)

Edited by CanadianKE17

Dude, all you needed to do with the draw through setup was run a line from the intake to the crankcase with a checkvalve from a brake master cylinder line. On boost, crankcase is ~atmospheric. Let off the throttle, mega vacuum in intake + turbo, mega vacuum in crankcase, no oil gets sucked out :)

Also, I've got lost in your thread... are you running a rising rate fuel pressure regulator to the blow through carb? You need to keep the fuel pressure going into the carb a few psi higher under all conditions or you'll get no fuel or wayy too much :)

I tried that idea just before I converted it, but It was getting too much air through the crankcase (I think from the spark plug cups) I also thought about (as you may have read) applying a vacuum via a pump ... but in the end I decided it was a patch on the real issue (That may have been a comment from somebody, and he was right if that's the case) I weighed up the advantages/costs and decided to bite the bullet :)

Yes i'm running a rising rate regulator :)

get her back together yet???

Nahh will spend this weekend doing that, all the part's are back though.

Dad's thrown the new valve stem seals in, he's also ground the valve seats, cleaned the valves and rounded the chamber edges as I previously mentioned.

IMG_2505.jpg

IMG_2504.jpg

IMG_2509.jpg

Manifold is painted, but Id like one more layer of paint before curing.. But ill wait until tomorrow to see what it looks like when 100% dry before I decide.

IMG_2507-1.jpg