Loud Tapping Noise From The Rear Left Hand Side

sam-

hey all i have a ke70 and all of a sudden there is a loud thumping/tapping noise coming from what seems to be the back left hand side but i can't find anything wrong with anything? any ideas as to what this could be?

thanks sam.

Members dont see this ad
hey all i have a ke70 and all of a sudden there is a loud thumping/tapping noise coming from what seems to be the back left hand side but i can't find anything wrong with anything? any ideas as to what this could be?

thanks sam.

For christs sake mate, could you give us any less information. Does it tap faster as you increase speed? Is it on bumps? Is it random.

Faster as you speed up = something attached to a rotating assembly such as tailshaft or wheels/brakes.

Only on bumps would mean there is something wrong with the suspension.

Random tapping might mean there is something loose and flapping in the wind.

thanks sam.

Is the seat belt hanging out the door, Happened to me the other week.

Is the seat belt hanging out the door, Happened to me the other week.

I noticed my jack handle would swing around in the boot and hit the side panels sometimes on hard right handers...

Just another possibility.

This may be one of those occasions where someone posts a random question then never comes back...

Thumping and tapping seem to be pretty opposite ways to describe the sound.

Checked for any foreign objects in the tires? Stones/screws/thumbtacks? That would cause a 'tap' which would get louder and more frequent with speed.

Loose numberplate? Or a flapping P plate etc? Rear bumper?

Have you done a thorough inspection of all suspension components at the rear to make sure nothing is loose/abnormal looking? Make sure to check that the upper shock mounting points inside the boot have not come loose causing the shock to be 'sloopy' whist the car is moving etc. Also I would take what LittleRedSpirit said about the jack handle as a good possibility. I know that mine does bang against the side of the car sometimes. Also, check the boot side cavities like where the jack is. Something could be in those thumping around, or even the jack come loose in it holder.

Edited by bLinded_

If its over 80kph you could have a tyre delaminating or collapsing in the belts.

At low speed its OK but at high speed centrifugal force makes it oval shaped and it hammers up and down.

Otherwise the tyre looks OK.

have had this happen in the past, only problem the tyre actually let go and the car ended up on its roof ;) (thank god for one less ford on the road :laff:).

That hooker in the boot isn't properly dead... She'll keep banging until she runs out of air or escapes.

:wink:

That one caught me out a few times.

Not anymore......I love nail studded baseball bats!

so that was the banging noise, i could hear on the last pizza night i was wondering what it was ;)