Cash For Clunkers In Australia.

Felix

Looks like if Labour wins the next election we could see a Cash for Clunkers scheme in Australia. Say good bye bye to a lot of older Corollas out there.

$2000 to trade back your old car and buy a newer more efficient car. Not very generous, think the yanks were offering US$4500 per car.

Julia Gillard unveils a cash for clunkers policy to get dirtier old cars off the road

Why cash-for-clunkers didn't hit the road until now

Edited by Felix

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not a bad idea i guess,

older cars in the general public are not very well maintained. there are exceptions of course, but in general if you see an older car its usually pumping out smoke. and then there is all the emissions you can't see i guess..

funnily enough i see alot of mid 90's cars (especially excels) pumping out smoke....mmm quality.

though it would take alot more than $2k for me to give up the ke70.

$4500USD though, now that is a bit more tempting

$2k isnt that much when you start talking about newer cars, cheapest new car is what...a hyundai getz? at like $14k? so thats about 14% of the cost.

This is an inevitability. I just hope they put in a good system to allow dedicated restorers/enthusiasts to get hold of these cars before they go to the crushers.

And by dedicated enthusiasts, I don't mean 18 year olds with funny hats and a box full of falcon springs and rattlecans of flat black in their shed.

typical uninformed government crap trying to win over votes & trying to keep the car manufacturing unions etc happy.

i used to work for BHP & i can tell you that very few people have any idea on the amount of pollution produced to manufacture steel, let alone all the plastics, paints & electronics used in new cars!!

they carry on about a new car producing "X" less pollution out of it's exhaust - a 20 year old corolla with a not very healthy cat, run for the next 20 years will produce less than 1/2 the pollution that you'd get from producing ONE new car (that has ~1/2 the exhaust emissions of the corolla, therefore keeping the gay pink wales happy)

total misinformation.

maybe they should look at the exponential pollution in india & china from heavy industry & realize that on a global scale we are a drop in a bucket (but that does not win votes does it!)

US "cash for clunkers" worked on a MPG system - you know some idiot dumped his rx8 on a new car!! but it did help to remove a lot of v8 POS's off their roads

of course our system would not be so generous (don't want to waste too much money on voters now do we!! just enough to make it back into power & then the scheme will run out of cash & be buried), nor does it consider the long-term issues it will help create - the population is being pushed towards smaller, highly efficient cars (none which are built in australia, bar the hybrid camry which is basically a locally assembled jap kit) all the imports will certainly not help our balance of trade deficit, or our local car manufacturers - however hybrid cars create their own batch of problems!!

got any idea on the pollution caused making the trick batteries that the hybrids run on? never mind the fact that every 7-10 years you need to replace the battery pack (huge expense & recycling issues) odd are in 10-15 years the hybrid cars will be uneconomical lemons.

Cash for clunkers has already been in affect in Australia but got canned, Jip got it when he traded in the corolla.

I didn't realise the government already had run the scheme. I have seen in the past car dealerships offering $2000 minimum trade-ins.

I didn't realise the government already had run the scheme. I have seen in the past car dealerships offering $2000 minimum trade-ins.

Jon got 3k for it which the car ended up at the auctions and into the hands of another member.

got any idea on the pollution caused making the trick batteries that the hybrids run on? never mind the fact that every 7-10 years you need to replace the battery pack (huge expense & recycling issues) odd are in 10-15 years the hybrid cars will be uneconomical lemons.

my understanding is that a lifecylce analysis on a prius reveals that the energy saving of the prius will never out weigh the extra embodied energy associated with building the car.

so overall the prius uses more energy (and thus carbon yada yada) over its lifetime, but the media will never look at that...

funny thing is the prius only gets ~6L/100 or so, small diesels kill that....and arent some of you blokes with 4k ke70s getting close to 6L/100?

i was listening to great debate the other night, and both sides of politics were just talking utter bullcrap on almost all topics. they are just trying to win votes. complete misinformation on almost all topics.

damn i hate the way politicians go on, all talk no action, and in general the talk is utter garbage.

why arent there any knowledgeable people running the country? say scientists that understand what they are talking about? not just being fed information through filtered sources, and had it worded in such a way as to be pleasing to the ears of the ignorant voters?

hmmm....

This is an inevitability. I just hope they put in a good system to allow dedicated restorers/enthusiasts to get hold of these cars before they go to the crushers.

And by dedicated enthusiasts, I don't mean 18 year olds with funny hats and a box full of falcon springs and rattlecans of flat black in their shed.

Yes well. I think we all know the answer to that.

If anyone one was going to get it right it would have been the UK government. Classic car movement is pretty strong over there. And they got a crap scheme.

Why they can't just make the cars non repairable write offs, then channel them through wrecking yards where they will eventually end up scrapped is beyond me.

KE70dave- dead right!!

never believe a politician, if their lips are moving they are lying!

The only people who can afford to take up this offer will be old folks like me who can trade in a granny-spec Corolla on a $15000 Hyundai. The 6person family of aussie battlers driving a VN commonwhore won't have $30grand plus to get a new big car, so the $2000 will make no difference at all!

..and you can put wind-power with your Prius. If you walked in the bush with a shovel and made yourself a windmill, you would not get the energy back that you put into making it. Both wind and solar still cost energy to make overall, they need to move up a magnitude of at least 4 before they will pay.

Oh- and your hybrids only help in traffic when you are idling a lot. I piss myself when I see a hybrid Camry in the country, knowing they'll never use the electric engine anyway!

Edited by altezzaclub

Try just under 4L/100.

as bad as wiki is as a source, but its all i can find atm,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius#Fuel_consumption

mentions numbers from about 4.7-5.7. so yeah i guess its closer to 4L than 6L.

and in aus there is alot of highway driving, so i can only assume the milage would get a bit worse? i dunno.

all i know is that i like that new ford fiesta econetic diesel, gets something rediculous like 3.6L/100km, and thats just a normal diesel engine, no stupid batteries or fancy electric engines. light weight is the key to fuel economy. but hey thats just my oppinion.

to bad the econetic is rediculosuly expensive, like 23k or something? oh and it would be BLOODY SLOW. but hey you can't go fast and not use any fuel!

Yes well. I think we all know the answer to that.

If anyone one was going to get it right it would have been the UK government. Classic car movement is pretty strong over there. And they got a crap scheme.

Why they can't just make the cars non repairable write offs, then channel them through wrecking yards where they will eventually end up scrapped is beyond me.

The problem with that is that supply would very quickly overwhelm demand - since a lot of people would be getting rid of the cars that the wreckers normally supply parts to, suddenly there will be a glut of shells in the yard just gathering rust which will never get touched, and eventually the wrecker will just scrap them anyway without ever selling a piece, thus the wrecker will lose out because you've added unnecessary steps which cost money.

Imagine it this way (numbers are completely out of my arse, but you'll get the point) - there are 10,000 old KEs left in Australia, 9,000 on the road and 1,000 more in wrecker yards. Obviously there will be more on the road than in the yard, because not every car breaks down and needs parts, not every car that needs parts will source them from a wrecker, and not every car sold gets taken to the wreckers (a lot just get stripped and crushed straight away). Suddenly, a cash-for-clunkers scheme comes in and about half those KE owners decide to sell-up - if all those CfC cars go to wreckers you'll have 5,000 KEs on the road and 5,000 KEs in wreckers yards (that's like having a dedicated parts car for EVERY remaining KE owner in the country), a nightmare for those running the yards as they'll quickly run out of room for models which still have a strong demand for parts (newer model Falcons/Commodores etc). All those extra KEs being sent to the wreckers offer no real financial gain to the wrecker, so all the yard becomes is a holding yard before they get crushed, except now the car goes through extra handling steps for the same end result.

Not good for the speedway blokes, Our KE30 bits and shells will be harder to get and hence more expensive, Also less KE30 on the road less aftermarket stuff, This will effect open wheel classes like minisprint that run 1200 to 1600 Toyota / Datsun engines ?, Could even impact formula ford ?, But guess at the end of the day just anothor rule change, we will end up racing newer front wheel drives and the like, Will this match a field of KE30's and Sunny's ?? don't think so.

But hey what happens to the price of my daily driver (KE30) once the fund stops ? cause I'm not selling