Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Gjm85'S Ke20 Build

Featured Replies

Didn't you guesstimate the pushrods to be about 30mm too long?, If thats the case take like 20mm or so off them then see how that goes, not by actually starting and running the motor, by only hand turning the motor over with the rocker cover off that should give you a rough idea on how long or short they need to be :blinks: i hope that helps

  • Replies 604
  • Views 509k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • HIGH ROLLER
    HIGH ROLLER

    Mr GJM, I gotta admit, when I first saw this thread a while back, I thought "oh yeah, ke20, k-motor...ghey"....being from the everything-must-be-turbo camp myself. I just read through this whole thr

  • no paint on the wheels man, just polish polish polish..... then stop for beer..... then polish polish

  • how much your clutch end up settin ya back, and i loooove the progress and colour on it and your attention to detail is brilliant   watchin high quality builds motivates me to get my celica done too

Posted Images

  • Author

Once I get the cam back I can drop in the followers, sit the head on top with the rocker gear assembley set at centre adjustment. From there I should be able to get a perty close pushrod length by using the shorter pushrod and measuring the excess distance. It shouldn't matter if I'm a f@$kteenth out because the rocker gear is adjustabl.e :blinks:

 

Got the sump off the 4k today. Wire wheeled it back and painted it. I still have a few coats to go. I also dropped the pistons in and tensioned up the big ends only to fond about a mm worth of play with new bearings... uh oh! The crank bigend measures in at 41.42mm. It's obviously had a crank grind, so we measured the crank out of the donor 4k. It stands at 42.42mm. The result is.... where swapping the cranks... should save me buying a set of oversized bearings :jamie:

Edited by GJM85

make sure you balance everything on the bottom end for a smooth engine all the way to redline

The problem with that is man, is the 4k's stroke length and shit the same as the 5k cause you will run into drama's with it if it's not close man, i realise it shouldn't matter with the 5k pistons and rods it'll keep it close but will it be the same?

5ks use 4k cranks anywitch way (I'm pretty sure) so aslong your using 5k rods/pistons, it wont mess with the stroke.

any updates on this one yet? how far off is the rust removal and paint?

 

Looking forward to seeing the end result mate

Love the 20 mate! Bad luck about the blower, will be watching this one.

  • Author

Picked up the cam today and started pulling apart the spare 4k for the crankshaft. Sunday being father's day and being a father the ball and chain should at least allow mme to spend some time getting the engine back together. I've been looking around for some induction all week. People just aren't satisfied with making a buck these days. They all want to make two.

It looks like i'm going to set up a pair of twin 40mm solex's that have been sitting around in dad's garage for a few years to begin with. Until, the SC12, I can work out what to do with it and where to do get it done. f@$king ebay conmen. :hmm:

Spoke to MSR yesterday. They've completed the left side of the weather channnel and just need to finish the around the B pillar. Completely remade the weather channels. So they say it'll probably be another 2 weeks before they finish the right side then another week or two on the front end.... I know these things take time but f@$k.... I'm paying a premium....

Rust is never an easy thing to kill gav, it takes a fair bit of work to undo what has happened :lolcry: , but by the sounds of what your old boy was saying tonight it seems like there doing a great job, i can't wait to see the car painted and running bud, it should scoot better than it did when you picked it up aye :lolcry:

  • Author

Much progress on the motor today. Thanks to my Dad for much useful engine buildings tips.I picked up the cam from Tighe's on Friday. Hot of the mill. Literally. I don't think he was impressed with how impatient I am. Tough titties.

A few changes. Using the 4k fuel pump because its larger volume. 4k alternator and water pump. The water pump I pulled of the spare 4k was clean as on the inside so we decided it won't hurt to use it as with the fuel pump.

Went to Dad's today and pulled the 5k back out. We got the spare 4k crank in, pistons, cam and twin timing gear. Then we did the rear main seal, electric dizzy, timing cover, shimmed oil pump, 4k sump and 5k harmonic balancer. We then moved on to the gearbox mounts, oil regulator, 4k fuel pump, 4k water pump and finally the 4k alternator mounts.... :lolcry:

 

The head is sitting on and we were ready to do execute the exact math to determine the pushrod length when I realised I left the new lifters at home. That in turn put an end to my ever productive day. HOORAY!

....and the pics.

 

PS: I don't think i'll be using the 3kb manifold I just had milled out (viewable in last image) so I am considering putting it up for sale. Also say "hello" to Rozza. He's the hairy VB drinking dude who sat there the whole day watching us work.

post-8643-1283677802_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1283677848_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1283677872_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1283677887_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1283677924_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1283677952_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1283678014_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1283678030_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1283678056_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1283678109_thumb.jpg

post-8643-1283678517_thumb.jpg

Edited by GJM85

That dude looks familiar, Did he use to live up the road back in the school days ?

  • Author
That dude looks familiar, Did he use to live up the road back in the school days ?

 

Certainly did. Zoe's older brother.

Certainly did. Zoe's older brother.

Thought so.

dude you are smashing this out, can't wait to see the end result :lolcry:

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.