Setup Your Car For Drifting

SLW42

IMO you should start with some stiffer than standard springs and shocks, put them in then, get yourself some lower control atms longer than standard. I.e xt130's s13 lca's will be fine and while you incresing track increase lock to keep up with it, AJPS make lock spacers cheap enough :fuzz: .

REMEMBER to do one thing at a time to see if it gets better

engine mods for a 3tc :? - webber, extractors, full exhaust, if you wanted to spend the money a cam can go into that list.

In my experiance i reckon it is easier to learn in an under powered car than learn in a massively overpowered car, but thats just me

seein as how i will soon enter this crazy but awsome world of driftin and i have been in the car with justin so i can vouch that from what he has done and i have watched it really comes to what he says is quite accurate and the sentence i highlighted is probably the best advice

just my opinion of coarse

• Upvote 1

Members dont see this ad

i took my ke70 pano out drifting at archy on wednesday and had a blast and i still have a 4k with open centre diff. not many big slides but by end of the night i got a couple goin. putting my locked diff centre in on sunday and some new tyres on front on monday to aid in grip (kept understeering hardcore on my ancient front tyres) and will give it another go next week. Justin and chris you should both come out to to rep the rollas as the only other one there was an 86.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

yes sir you are, do you mind if i ask what car your using??

The thing with 86 lca's is i don't know if there any longer then (guessing here) ke70, if you want some longer than stock lower control arms for your 70, go get a set of ke3/5x lca's mate there longer than keto ones :)

I don't know everything about drifting so if there is someone else out there that knows more than me please feel free to throw your opinion down aswell

Any other questions

at the moment I'm running cut rears in the front and cut stockos in the rear with gtr skyline seats and deep dish steering wheel

want to buy some 86 struts and lca's ... am i heading in the right direction???

what car do you currently own ? for a ke i would go HSD coilovers for the ae86 since they fit . and sort the rear out with a t-series diff+ 2way lsd. oh and some good tyres. it can be done in a 4k/4ac but you need lots of speed and big balls .. heheh .

that should be enough to get you going sideways .. once you improve look into lock,camber and castor.

judging by his (ljmk2468) topic's on his profile he has a ke70.

ae86 LCA=ke70 lca, same length.

forget about getting longer LCAs to get hektic cambers, waste of time if you don't have other mods as well.

i dunno what the prices on HSD's are, but i would just make your own coilovers (or buy someone has alreay made) out of ae86 struts.

ljmk2468:

option 1 if you have no money.

get some decent tyres on the front, sign up at your local racetrack, get it sideways and have fun, and then ask people who are watching what they think you could do better to improve.

option 2, if you have money and want to improve the overall handling of your car (not specificllay for drift, but it will definately help)

get some 86 struts, get some decent short stroke shocks, some stiffer springs, some new bushes, an adjustable panhard rod, some decent tyres (on the front at least), a small steering wheel, and most importantly an LSD, get out onto a track and throw it sideways and have a ball.

also, i bet those GTR seats are AWESOME in a ke70. nice work on that one.

Edited by ke70dave

Best for starting are old dirt rally tyres on the rear!! They slide in a beautifully predictable manner, last quite a while and can be picked up dirt-cheap from rally guys who want sharp edges on their tyres.

Used 'em on fun racing days just to look spectacular in the days before 'drifting' was invented....

good to see a drift section. I'm building my ke70 at the moment for drift. ive got ajps ae86 coilovers 8kg springs xt130 lca up front. 6kg springs in rear. I'm in the prosess of putting in a ca18det

i have never drifted b4 on a track but have many hours of fun on dirt hah.

still to come is sway bar and panhard bar and complete conversion

srry about the late reply this is the first time in a while i have had the chance to get onl;ine but yes, my car is an 82 ke70 5spd 4k the skyline seats are great! would definitely recomend them as an easy mod. as for wheels and tyres I'm a little confused I'm not sure this setup is ideal but I'm running 15x8 +- 0 offset? superlights with 185/45/15's on the front and on the rear i have 15x7 superlights with 185/50/15's. understeer seems all to common in the wet I'm wondering if the stretched tyres on the front are causing this or maybe i should dial in some camber:rolls: .???

definitely keen to atleast come and have a looksie at archy or qr on a practice day, will have to organise to meet a couple other rolla lovers there:laff: .

Edited by ljmk2468
  • Upvote 1

why tyres are they though?

crap tyres will always understeer in the wet. (and prolly in the dry too...)

i just got some Federal 595's, understeer is now a thing of the past. even in the wet they just dig in. (to a degree)

stretched tyres wont help your cause either, but 185 isnt to much of a strech anyway on an 8". but the 45 ratio will make the sidewall pretty stiff, so it may not be ideal. especially if the tyres are crap to start with.

if the only other mods are cut standard springs, then i have no doubt thats why it handles like poo. the main problem will be the springs being highly underdamped. and the shocks will be stuffed anyway if they are just old standard ones.

federals usually are a REALLY grippy tire,

To get abit of practise sliding, if ya in qld go out to the drift nights on fridays every now and again bud go onto the skid pan,

Get ya control down pat and then try for bigger things :) it's how I do it, when I had my ef falcon on the skid pan at QR, I just started with drift doughnuts, then tried figure eights, and then tried to link drift doughnuts into figure eights :D

I'm not tryin to say i'm the best out there but it's alot of fun when you can say you can do that stuff