Teds Project Ke70 ~ The Blue Car

Teddy

Members dont see this ad

So, on the first of many lists :

Suspension, Brakes & Steering is a pretty good place to start. 

Not looking to turn this thing into a drift, race or rally car - so for the time being, i'll just restore the factory setup with a few small changes. I'll cover the small changes in future updates.

This week's new parts hunt :

Lower Control Arm Bushes

Ball Joints Bushes

45mm Front Strut Inserts ~ pedders

Pedders front shocks - Comfort Gas

Reconditioned Steering Rack, Fit new Rack ends, New Tie Rod Ends, New boots

Front Caster bar bushes

Front Swar bar bushes

Front Break Lines

Front Break pads - Bendix 

Suit Ke70, All Nolithane Bushes

As far as engine and insides are concerned - originally i was looking to install an Injected 5K with a few things, but...  for good reasons, that never came to be. More about that later on in years to come. 

I've always had a thing for Black leather insides with red trimmings, so we'll see where that ends up.

Not too sure about rubber vs Nolithane bushes - more research required. 

This list should keep me broke for a little while haha..

Talked to some mechanics today about nolithane bushes, compaired to genuine rubber ones.

- Nolithan bushes are cheaper, last longer, stronger, harder ride, more suited to large / 4wd vehicles. Perish easily can become noisy. 

- Rubber original type / genuine are more expensive, may not last as long, nicer ride, suited more to road vehicles, better quality.

At this point, looking to find parts to suit it will end up being the winner vs trying to find NOS parts. The most likely result will be a combination of both sorts. 

As long as the suspension doesn't squeak like an old Camry... i'll be pretty happy. 

Cheers Miller !

Re-trims are worth approximately $150. These are a horizontal bar type and (let's be honest) a bit of a b%*# to install. 

I was thinking a lighter shade, but i'm still sold on the Lexus IS200 all black style insides.. they just look really sleek, clean and modern.

It'll eventually get A/C, so not too fussed about the colour / heat side of things.   

Talked to some mechanics today about nolithane bushes, compaired to genuine rubber ones.

- Nolithan bushes = Cheaper, last longer, stronger, harder ride, more suited to large / 4wd vehicles.

- Rubber origional type / genuine - More Costly, don't last as long, nicer ride, suited more to the large / medium / small range of vehicles, better quality.

well do you want a nice smooth quiet ride with sloppy suspension? or a taughter more precise harder ride?

most cars were designed for the average motorist to go get the groceries, or whatever (minimum NVH... noise, vibration, harshness). not for maximum handling performance. everything is a tradeoff. you take your pick.

think about what you want. areas where you definitely should use urethane are for swaybar D bushes and link pins. also rear trailing arms if you want to put power through them.

i have been bitten by the factory rubber bushes with an old EH i had many years ago. i put new factory rubber bushes through the leaf springs on the back. they only lasted 12 months. the problem i worked out was they were probably made when the car was, and had been sitting on the shelves in spare parts for 30 odd years. they had degraded, even though they were NOS (new old stock). think about when the genuine toyota bushes for your ke70 would have been made before you spend your money.

awesome photo bog there.......

please keep this updated with regular pics and progress as it gives us some sorta inspiration lol

how do you go about removing the sound deadening?? as it's like bitumen tar stuff and a b'stard to get off!!!

Dry ice and hit it with a hammer till it shatters, or a heat gun and a scraper. (Followed by prepwash and a rag to clean any mess left over).

Go the nolathane busches matt, trust me :)