Anybody Work With Cardboard?

altezzaclub

OK, I'm working on making a scoop for the cold air intake on the KE70, as I noticed it runs rich or lean on a long trip depending on the wind direction! This is becasue the headlight shields the cold air intake tube beside the radiator.

So I have a model made up out of cardboard, and thought.. why go to all the trouble of making it up in sheet steel when I can cover the cardboard with something and harden it enough to keep its shape and be weatherpoof!

Any ideas? Anyone done something like this?

Fibreglass epoxy resin?

Clear urethane floor 'varnish'??

5 coats of enamel?? :hmm:

post-7544-059040200 1288858094_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Lol Shades! good find-

KENut I'd use metal over plastic, just because I have it and its OK to work with. To make it out of fibreglass I'd need a mold, and the obvious one would be to use the cardboard model for the shape and just spray resin & glass over it. Actually the real way would be to cover it with PVA first as a mold release agent so I could get the cardboard out afterwards. Hmmm... the boatbuilder in Orange has just gone broke..

I figure if I soak the cardboard in resin it will basically be the same as fibreglass, maybe not as strong but hey its only an air intake tucked behind the grille...

you could just cover it in fibreglass matting and resin? then grind it back to make it flat, then give it a few coats of paint.

you would have to be careful as the resin would make the cardboard REALLY floppy untill it dried.

you could make the same thing out of some thin wood, and then cover that in fibreglass matt and resin? that way it wont go floppy with the wet resin.

if you have a router that would be a quick job, just trace out your cardboard shape onto the wood, run around it with a router and your done!

what is it? looks like an airbox of some kind.

Dave, its an air scoop to sit behind the grille, tucked up against the passenger's headlight, and takes air to the cold air tube beside the radiator.

Its just going to pull air from the more the middle of the grille as the cold air tube is occluded by the headlight, especially when the wind blows from the passenger's side.

Car design is so full of tiny subtletiess!! :laff:

I think I'll get an aerosol can of clear urethane and spray a few coats on, and see how strong it turns up.

Also sanding down the 'lean' SU needles as the 'rich' pair are running at 10L/100km around town. I need a needle profile between the two.

G`day mate, i`m just wondering wether you might be able to use a modified version of an ef/el falcon cold air intake, rather than going to the trouble of making your own. They tuck in nicely between the bonnet and the radiator support panel, are made of plastic, and shouldn`t be hard to maybe turn sideways to suit your needs. Just a thought. Cheers.

post-7820-031194100 1288997777_thumb.jpg

post-7820-007235700 1288997807_thumb.jpg

yeah but ef/el designs are specifically for that car, and they sit under the bonnet and draw air from under the edge of the bonnet, if he/she's got an ae71 which i'm thinking he/she does, the ef/el design wont work :( , you'd really need to make something up that will direct air from the grill into the pipe.

mate you are a f@$king idoit, ffs your car isnt going to run rich/lean according to the wind direction. Its people like you who f@$k up decent cars!

fair crack of the whip mate, no need to come onto it like a bull at a red rag.

i think its great what he's done, and he did kinda prove that the wind direction was effecting the leanness/richness of the running of the carbies by using two oxygen sensors and an o2 meter.

good work altezza