4agze Vs Ca18det

Clown

re: spinning bearings, one of those Trust "baffled" sumps may have helped?

In my expreience, any engine code beginning with CA* is a bearing spinner!

Trust don't make baffled sumps for the CA18, neither do Tomei. Infact its hard to find bigger/baffled sumps for the CA18 :sad:

I just think the 4A-GZE/GTE is just so over-rated. CA18 isnt much better :hug:

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mate has a 20v 4AGTE in his Ae82 hatch. It's runnig some sort of GT30 turbo which is wasyyyyyy too big for the little engine, but it's pumping out 175 front wheel kilowatts on 16psi and will do about 220 on 18psi.

But he wants smaller turbo first cos this thign comes on boost at 4500rpm or thereabouts.

I'd choose a 4AGTE over CA or SR engine anyday.

He bought the car like it. He's planning on something smaller. :hug:

But man, that thing breaks traction like no tomorrow haha. It's kinda hair-raising feeling the front end step around under boost.

Edited by AE35

GReddy T88-34D on an SR20

Comes on boost....no traction. Apparently its not so bad to drive off boost...(Big duration cams). Theres also a big dip in power as the turbo starts building boost (apparently common).

but yes... GT30 is a bit big for a 4A. Even a GT2871R would be kinda laggy with a standard .86 exhaust housing. You can request it with a .64 exhaust housing, not sure how that would go (you might lose power up top). Maybe try a straight GT28R.

I would put good money on the fact that you will make MORE power with a slightly smaller turbo at the same amount of boost.

dyno520.jpg

Personally, as much as I like the big kick in the back from big boosted cars, I don't really like driving them. I personally prefer a car that builds power consistantly through the rev range... A lot more predictable, a lot easier to drive, a lot more forgiving.

• 7 months later...