Toyota Tercel Driveline In Ae82 Seca

3lud13

Members dont see this ad

I'd say your best bet would be getting both cars (AE82 and AE95) up on a hoist and start snapping away with photos, measurements and notes.

post-1432-0-90206800-1308657090_thumb.jpg

The differences between the nissans. Wheelbase and track (front and rear) are the same between the models.

I think there was someone on the old Toymods forum who was planning on doing it to his ae92 or it might have been the ae82

The old AE95R into AE92 has been bandied around many times over the years...

That's slightly more do-able, but the fundamental problem there is the Corolla AWD systems weren't really designed for performance. Especially the Tercel driveline, which is made of glass, balsawood and fail. Think of them more as traction aids, for people who live somewhere it snows. This is why pretty much every car sold in Japan has an AWD variant.

So when you add the AWD, you add weight. To compensate, you need more power. Add more power, you start breaking shit.

Much better off just buying a Celica GT4 or Caldina GT-T :P

Few years ago in Brisbane there was a KB Ford Laser that had been bolted onto a Suzuki Sierra/Jimny chassis.

It was mod plated and legal. Personally I thought it looked great. (my taste stinks!).

Do the same with an AE80/82. A bonus is the Suzuki chassis and drivetrain can accept a 4AGE or bigger.

Presto - AE AWD (I know not the WRX wannabe but it is do-able verson of AWD/4x4).

Edited by clubby2084

the problem with all this talk is that unless you do an absolutely brilliant job, spend a fortune, you wont end up with a car that drives as good as what you started with.

a GT4 celica will always be better in everyway than a gt4/ke10 hybryd.

sure have a crack at it as an academic exercise, but don't expect it to be better than what you started with unless you poor an extremely large amount of cash at it.

making an ae82 awd is one thing on my list of 'future mods' for Rolla Bus...

...but not for a little while yet...

i have been doing some serious research and know this is going to be a massive undertaking... but this does not worry me!

my idea is adapting a s13 rear subframe and most of the floor being cutup/modded!

good luck with your ideas, will be very interesting to see how you go!

if not, wait a little while and see how i go with mine haha

This is why pretty much every car sold in Japan has an AWD variant.

Take a holiday in NZ... You will see everything in 4WD sooner or later, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, Toyota.

95% of these are Nissan Pulsar wagons, but the other 5% are Wingroad 4WDs. Same front layout, but an IRS at the rear instead of a beam axle, and a silicon center diff. Some 1800cc Nissan Q engine, it was a great work wagon. I'm sure you'll find 4WD Corollas over there too.

post-7544-0-94084900-1309156039_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

hey all, now, I'm no expert, far from it. But i currently have a 1989 ae-92 corolla seca, and my mate has an ae-95r 4x4 wagon, we've looked at both, and from what we can tell, if you drill out the spot welds for the plate the 4 control arms bolt to and remove it, possibly swap the fuel tanks over and get a custom exhaust, his 4x4 driveline should fit in my fwd car. they are both corolla/sprinter e9 chassis after all. Can't think at the moment if the floor in the front seat area on his car has a lump in it for clearance for something but i have a big hammer lol :happy: only other thing could be that i was told once that earlier 4a-ge's need a bit machined out of them for the transfer case or some such thing, but the later 20v 4a-ge's come with this cast into them as the later sprinter carib wagons came with the 20v engine, mind you jdm ae95r sprinter caribs had 4a-ge's in some of them too.... :hmm: any idea's on this info? just going on measurements from a toyota manual, a bit of a visual check, pics on the net an word of mouth so if anyone can set me straight please do BEFORE i go buy myself an ae-95 an start making a mess lol

It was easy, actually, even if it was difficult, it would have been done by now.

I think you're on a hiding to nowhere with this one.

But don't let that stop you. However I would like a picture of the car taken at the exact moment you realise it's not going to work.

You'd be better off with the 95 wagon and 4AG-ing that. Much less heart ache.

hmmm, one thing i have just looked at is the fact that the wagon has a 4 or 5 link rear suspension whereas mine has strut type suspension, however surely this can be overcome? maybe? Didn't an American president say once "not because it is easy, but because it is hard"? lol i just like being different. And some e9 corolla sedans had 4x4

Hi mate,

I believe that the cut out only is on the series 4afe engines the where made for the 95, I can tell you that a 20v does not have the relief in the block for the transfer case! However you can grind it back if you want. ( I have done this ) the lump in the floor you speak of is for the cat / muffler on the exhuast . Did /have you measured the tunnel demensions as I thought they were different?

The rear you could use a strut type spring/damper combination, over the 5 link solid axle set up, still would be a lot of work though! , what state are you in? Can this be engineered?

This of course assumes there is enough clearance for everything?

Good luck if you proceed. I have a shell and diff ect...... If you want it.

Thanks for that info yrreda25 :happy: Yeah it was just what someone told me once that they had the section for the transfer, but i saw something last night that said early 20v's don't have it but late ones do, i have no idea lol haven't as yet got the tape measure out, only had a quick look over a few beers the other night, and had a top gear "how hard can it be" moment lol so i started doing research. Didn't think the tunnel would be much if any different, as all the bits inside are interchangeable. Yeah i was hoping to use my existing rear struts with some custom work to mount them, or use the whole section of the 4x4 floor ( both wheel wells an the bit in between) but that could be a lot harder. Yeah I spoke to a transport engineer today actually an he said it should be no problems if done to a decent standard. I'm in Hobart Tasmania. Would be interested in those bits, but I'm guessing shipping could be an issue :fuzz: