I'Ve Got This Crazy Idea For A Daily

benhachi

I'm sick of forking out heaps for fuel rego roadworthy's etc...

I've been looking into assisted push bikes and from what I've read, no registration needed, allowed up to 29cc with out registration as long as it's power assisted. And up to 80 k's an hour..

My idea is to get say a 40cc Honda or something with heaps of grunt for what it is.. How are they going to know if I remove the labels. And get one of those low rider pushies with the fat tyres.. Feels a bit safer. An just cruise around the suburbs. Power to weight would be alright seeing as it's just a push bike. Put a little basket on the back for shopping etc and wear a motorbike helmet. I reckon it could cruise at 70-80 maybe more with a good engine. Imagine the savings :)

Members dont see this ad

At my mates place we were looking at fitting a huffy slider with a chainsaw motor. Because it'd mount under the bar and fit perfectly, we're still thinking how to finish it though as we'll need a one piece rear axle with a cog on it and a few guides but maybe one day :P

I'm pretty sure anything powered by a petrol motor has to be registered.

And if so you'd need lights, indicators etc.

I may be wrong, but that was the rule in NZ.

May as well do a mad electric one (golf cart motor?), more torque, even cheaper, legal and you could hook up a stereo.

Edited by blzbub666

Honda will actually sell you an entire motorcycle with a capacity of up to 1800cc. Motorbikes are cheaper to register and use bugger all fuel anyhow, I don't quite understand how a modified pushy will cut it at 80klm/hr, quite frankly you'd be a menace with not enough brakes to stop quickly. If you took it on the push bike paths the cyclists wouldn't have you, trust me I know I rode my CRF on a bike path and got some shocking looks and waved fists.

I love rollaclub people and how they think.

Sentence one you state whats legal, sentence two you describe how you will break the law. lolz.

I'm pretty sure anything powered by a petrol motor has to be registered.

And if so you'd need lights, indicators etc.

I may be wrong, but that was the rule in NZ.

May as well do a mad electric one (golf cart motor?), more torque, even cheaper, legal and you could hook up a stereo.

This is true for Queensland, petrol engine powered bikes needs to be registered, but you also need a compliance plate to register anything in QLD. Although I still see a fair few petrol engined push bikes getting around Brisbane. Electric motor powered bikes/scooters are okay up until a certain power output or speed capability or something. NSW allows petrol engine powered bikes up to 49cc without being registered as far as I know, might be the same for other states.

But seriously, get a postie bike, they are basically a push bike with an engine and they are too freaking cool. I see the most gansterest posties getting around; lowered, hard-tailed, black ones with the shiniest chrome parts. Even see some with 140cc pitbike engines, so bawsss!.

Edited by rianwest

As someone that has built a three wheeler from scratch using both pedals and a little Honda weedeater motor, you will easily pull 60km/h, with the right gearing probably more. An older one would pull 80km/h with a bigger engine.

We run a 73 tooth chain ring on the pedal (normal road bike is around 40ish) down to a 10 or 11 tooth gear at the wheel, so it is geared up, but it only has a 20" rear tyre. With a 35cc motor it was doing 53km/h - measure by radar - half way down the main straight and still accelerating. This year a 50cc Honda is being bolted on for a bit more go :evil: Sucks the the track is limited to 60km/h....

All this is for a 24hour race where we are given 3 litres of fuel to use. You run out, you are either pedaling or stopped. Came first in our class last year and covered 795km. Still had a litre of fuel left too :notimp:

As for electric, check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKAMus3oSdw&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Glad we weren't racing that one................

Hi,

Just read this so ill add my 3cents.

As a push bike rider (road and dirt) I know I can do 60km/hr (60.2 is record on speedo for flats) for a set period. And my bike not a cheap one but its brakes are more than adequate for pulling me up. And mtb you can get 4 piston hydraulic calipers with 180mm or bigger rotors and calipers run ceramic pistons to withstand heat so brakes on a bike no problem. Look at what pocket rockets have.

In saying that in QLD I know there is a law for Kw in electric bikes. can't be over 200W or 0.2Kw. I looked into this as for very very cheap you can buy 2Kw in hub electric motors STACKS of torque good Lipo battery pack and zoom around for hours up to speeds exceeding 60km/h.

Also I got busted for pocket bike on the road it was 49cc so mmm not sure for petrol but wont be allowed much I don't think.

Cheers

Cameron

80klm is possible. there was a dude in tassie that lost his license years ago from drink driving or something. he perfected the tiny donk on his mountain bike thing to get him to and from work. the cops clocked him doing 80 through a 60 zone so he got deeper in the poo.

this is what you need thou......street cred. http://motorbicycling.com/f15/my-victa-167cc-turbo-bmx-3556.html#post36891

copy and paste if it don't work

Edited by razza

You can get a kit that coverts your bike to run a 40cc honda motor or you can also get a kit to run a 49cc engine

i got a 32cc whipper snipper motor and welded up a frame when i was younger and rode that to primary school

got the motor for free, metal for free, brought some rods made up a throttle cable of a rubbish bike and rode that to school at 40-50 kph easy

21 cents to fill, lasted me till the weekend

i used a bike peg so i could use a friction drive system ie pedal to start brake and it cuts out simple affective and easy

Just my 2 cents ;)

exactly what we do. Motor is mounted to a fram that is able to tilt. Motor has a shaft attatched to the crank on end and a pillow block bearing the other. On this shaft is a skate board wheel that contacts the tyre.

Hit a lever, drop the motor down, away you go