The Rwd 2Az-Fe Thread.

LittleRedSpirit

Started getting things organised to tidy her up a bit, especially when it comes to interior. Had a couple of leaks in the rain from the quarter windows the other day so i have purchased a new set of 1/4 window clips as the price is down at the moment. '

I also decided to re-install some sound and heat insulation (mainly so mine and wifeys feet don't get bbqed and to improve enjoyment in hot weather conditions). I have purchased some dynamat extreme butyl self adhesive sheeting to install on the floor, roof and firewall. I have already got some closed cell metal backed 1/2 inch thick foam cut to the exact proportions of the original firewall sound deadening here plus a complete and original firewall sound deadening foam and tar sheet that's in miraculous condition.

Not stopping there I ordered plush Pile knox carpet in charcoal colour.

I am sick of accidentally flicking the high beam on when sawing at the wheel so I've got an inch longer 100mm SAAS bosskit coming, $50 brand new NOS. Bargain.

Since I've found the rear end a little less compliant and harsh compared to the front I have bought a second hand set of KYB Super Special dirt RA Rally shocks and some matched springs from eBay to try. Tried to research the shocks but all the info is in Japanese so I will just have to see how they go. I'm hoping they add a suppleness and grip to the rear end that's currently lacking. I suppose Rally shocks are fast down slow up from what I've heard, compared to tarmac which is slow down fast up, but it remains to be seen. If so they will let the car rock back at the drags a bit better too which should give better launches.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

Members dont see this ad

My plan is a bespoke fibreglass box split across the middle on a bolted or wing-nutted flange. I will continue to form the foam which was 30mm thick insulation foam from bunnings. Its not generally what people would recommend for this purpose as it will melt with most solvents. I'm just going to make the piece, mummify it in mould release tape and then slice it in half, fix it to a smooth melamine board and radius the edges as it meets the board with mould wax, then vac bag it down tight with some of the special paper which allows excess resin to flow out and be removed. I don't really know what I'm doing but I might also call up the trd brothers and see if they can clue me up a bit wiser before I get started.

The cool part comes next as I will dissolve out the medium density Styrofoam layers with petrol or thinners and then I will be able to hopefully just peel out the tape, prep and paint it, drill it and install the thing.

I've tried to maximise the volume and headroom for the longest trumpets I can fit.

I saw some article online where a guy on another forum with a golf did a similar thing in a tighter space and it came out ok, then I watched a how to make high end pre preg cf mould video and got a bunch of tips from that too. I'm just going to have a go at it and see what I can do. I'm also in the shorter term going to make some hot air diversion and removal ventilation to stop inlet temps getting so high. I've experienced inlet temps as high as 65 degrees centigrade with two fans running so much heat into the engine bay in traffic.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now fitted the mudflaps to the rear and the little cover that protects the fuel filler.

I also fitted my adjustable panhard rod. That was tricky, I needed to make some bushings for both ends. The rose joints didn't come with the spacers I required. I made one end work by using some genuine toyota shank nuts, drilling them out to 12mm and then cutting them to the right (40mm total width) length. The shanks fitted perfect into the rose joint and it all worked perfect. The diff end was harder as I had to hunt around for three thick washers I could drill out to make up 10mm of spacing required over the 20mm post. All perfect now. Should be a lot stiffer than the stock one and adjustable.

I'm going to have to organise a welder and weld up a couple of things in the floor then I can strip the interior out, remove the last traces of the old insulation and paint the floor, lay the new matting and install the carpet over the top. Ill also install the firewall sound deadening.

While its apart Ill paint my trim and source a couple missing bits. Ill also fit the headlining and have a harness bar made. That should finish the inside leaving just the outside needing some freshening up.

Matt dropped by today to let me take this for a test drive. I must say I am more than impressed with the motor and its capabilities!

Makes me miss the induction sound of my dellortos :(

You have done yourself proud Matt, It was no easy feat of engineering but you made it all happen.

Thanks Justin but as always I couldn't have done it without you and your skills.

It means a lot that you liked it. I just won this set of 15x7 ssr fins in excellent condition off a guy in Sydney. I should get those next week. 15x7 zero and 15x7 +13. Wanting to run lighter wheels and bigger tyres in the search for some extra grip. Ill probably end up selling my southern ways.

post-2885-0-18577400-1453893345_thumb.jpg

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

just a little note, probably wont benefit you since you are running full ITBs it seems, but if you wanted a quick and easy Intake manifold solution, the 2ZZGE and 1ZZFE intake manifold should bolt to the 2AZFE, it would place the inlet and throttle body in the front of the engine, rather than facing back into the firewall

just a little note, probably wont benefit you since you are running full ITBs it seems, but if you wanted a quick and easy Intake manifold solution, the 2ZZGE and 1ZZFE intake manifold should bolt to the 2AZFE, it would place the inlet and throttle body in the front of the engine, rather than facing back into the firewall

Should is not a thing with cars. Have you tried it?

pretty cool build. different is best. Our 2010 camry with its 2azfe motors along quite nicely can only imagine what it goes like in a much smaller and lighter frame.

Cheers mate. They blew it with the Camry in a sense, they came up with a good motor that is as compact and lightweight as a 4age and then lumped it in a camry that was somehow heavier than the previous one. OEMS!