The Off-Topic Thread

rian

Members dont see this ad

The best bit about the Australia Day flags been flown from car windows is that they tend to be the same people who put the stupid reindeer horns in the same spot, so they had to get rid of them to fit the flags....

Now all we need is something to make them replace the flags.....

Hey guys, I was entering traffic down an on ramp onto the highway and I saw a motorcycle cop with a handheld radar gun about halfway down.

He seemed to be checking the cars moving away from him on the highway.

I always thought the radar had to measure the car approaching them?

I understand how radars work, it shouldnt matter which way the car is travelling but I have NEVER seen a cop reading cars like that.

If they can get you from behind they can be completely hidden.

From what i can understand there's a selectable switch on the unit so it can used on traffic traveling away or towards.

I'm always weary of the on-ramps cause of it.

On the Bruce highway there's a bridge over a creek near the Brisbane side of the Steve Erwin Dr (aka the old bruce highway). On the north bound side after the bridge is a prefect spot where the cops would sit. Would only see them if you looked as you placed the spot or in the mirror after you past them.

From what i can understand there's a selectable switch on the unit so it can used on traffic traveling away or towards.

Not even that, it just works. Its just a hopped up laser range finder which does differential calculations on the range over time. It probably doesn't even care if the numbers positive or negative, just ignores the sign bit or maybe feeds it to a "To/From" display if its fancy.

The old Falcon radars that worked on doppler shift didn't care either. Quite happily worked in either direction without any configuration change.

thats a bit sneaky.

now everyone will be going slow on on ramps, attempting to merge at 60km/h into traffic going at 100km/h. that will make the roads safer and the traffic merge smoothly.

wait...

60kph?

don't you mean stop altogether and wait for a 1km long gap. Then merge gently gaining a top speed of 80kph?

The Ettamogah Pub merge, I've sat there behind some people for ages, occasionally having to go arouund them.