The Off-Topic Thread

rian

Members dont see this ad

Why would stretch any tyre period?!?!

I remember hearing somewhere that originated in european country where they did there legal "wheel size" by the size of the tyre. Thus it was a loop hole for people to bigger wheels.

And eh I reckon it can look cool. Though I don't run stretch.

Edited by It's_AUDM_Yo

regardless of where it started, all the fanboys use the "makes the sidewall stiffer and improves handling" bullshit to justify it.

A tyre like those on the startlet are made with a stiff non-flex sidewall to begin with, so that excuse goes out the window.

I had some 175/65/14s on some 14x7s on the front of the ute for a while (they were laying around, didnt have the cash for new tyres at that stage)

Made it ride/steer like shit (although it did make it lower...)

a 205 is a correctly fitting tyre for a 7 inch rim....

195 was square on my 6.5's

Depends on what you want your car for.. my ke10 feels much nicer to drive with a fat wheel and a thin-ish tyre. Because it wasnt designed for a 205 tyre and it feels kinda wack..

Plus, if I run a tyre that wide, it won't fit under my guards, it'll hit my struts and it'll hit my foot well..

There's a reason I'm running thinner tyres.. mostly to fit my wheels because the offset is a little big for stock guards, and its better to drive..

OrangeLJ is right, 205 is the correct size for a 7".

Note: this isn't aimed at anyone, it's just my opinion: Stretching tyres is a silly trend, the only argument for it is that is looks good. Some people say the only way they can fit really wide wheels is to stretch the tyres on, but then you have to wonder: why would anyone try to fit wheels to a car that just don't physically fit? And the answer is that they think wide wheels look good. It's all about looks, I don't see why people try and argue otherwise, just admit it. I can agree that sometimes it does look good, but I hate seeing what Orange LJ was talking about when people say "it creates a stiffer sidewall" etc

Edited by rian

Well for me, its a 44 year old car.. I'd rather run a stretched tyre than have my guards flared and ruin the car.. which flaring them would probably dimple the guards.. it's not a race car so I'm not getting all nerdy about grip.. running a skinny tyre is better than ruining my car IMO