Genuine Te37 Levin

headhoncho

Hi all,

Thought you might be interested in my "new" TE37 Levin.

I found it on the yahoo.jp auction site, and with the help of import monster (http://www.importmonster.com.au) purchased it.

It arrived in my garage in Melbourne, Australia on May 4 2012.

The good: It's super straight - very little rust, original shell, dash all there (re-covered binnacle) everything is clean and tight.

The "bad": not really bad... just different... The head has been changed (to an EFI "big valve") but still with original carbies, suspension has been lowered, missing the air con compressor and evaporator, no carpet.

The ugly: well not really ugly... just parts that are hard to get! Missing the headlining, A pillar trim and C pillar trim.

I'll keep you posted as I dismantle and rebuild this rare classic to its former glory.

Regards,

Michael Ward

Photos:

In it's new home:

P5040937.jpg

Original dash!

P5040946.jpg

The Levin badge

P5040945.jpg

Rear end (next to my rally KE55 rally car)

P5040943.jpg

• Upvote 2

Members dont see this ad

Hey Michael

Thats is a great score :D can't u get parts through import monster??? I'm pretty sure they will have something

That rally car of urs would be this one would it??? post-10684-0-47105400-1336461765_thumb.jpg

Sounded like it wasnt running right at the rally???

Hope everything goes well mate

See ya

Jimi

Edited by jimi91

Hi all,

Thought you might be interested in my "new" TE37 Levin.

The ugly: well not really ugly... just parts that are hard to get! Missing the headlining, A pillar trim and C pillar trim.

Yes, we are all very interested in your Levin!!!!!!!

On the hoodlining, pillar trims and carpet. I'd look at the KE coupes. Just need the hoops for the hood lining and a picture of an original and get a trimmer to make the hoodlining and pillar covers. Carpet should be identical to ke35/55

Why the resto? It looks pretty sweet in the photos.

Stu.

Hey Michael

Thats is a great score :D can't u get parts through import monster??? I'm pretty sure they will have something

That rally car of urs would be this one would it??? post-10684-0-47105400-1336461765_thumb.jpg

Sounded like it wasnt running right at the rally???

Hope everything goes well mate

See ya

Jimi

I'm keeping my eye out for parts... getting a headlining in good condition is going to be difficult. They were a one piece unit, and the vinyl used to come away from its backing. The trim shouldn't be so difficult - plenty of aftermarket carpet, and there are enough old KE35/55 coupes out there that I should be able to find the A/C pillar trim.

And yes, that was my rally car... and no, it was going fine in that event.... depending on which stage you saw me on, I might have been trying to plug my intercom in. (long story).

It doesn't sound as throaty as other 2T-Gs as I have an original air cleaner on it.

P5080005.jpg

More photos of the TE37 coming shortly.

Here's some more photos - was a great day in Melbourne today!

Front 3/4

file-45.jpg

Another View:

file-24.jpg

Grill with Levin Badge

file-23.jpg

Dash with 200kph speedo and tacho

file-29.jpg

Oil pressure/Oil temperature(!)/Ammeter - Original Japanese AM/FM radio (hope it'll pick up Aussie stations)

file-30.jpg

Pristine driver's footwell (with standard footrest)

file-28.jpg

Passenger Footwell (with rust in front left corner) - about the only bit of (major) rust in it.

file-32.jpg

Crappy driver's seat - to be replaced!!

file-31.jpg

Pristine Passenger seat and rear seat

file-33.jpg

file-34.jpg

No rust (well surface only) in the spare wheel well!

file-35.jpg

Original jack and toolkit (haven't opened the toolkit yet, so it might be empty!)

file-36.jpg

Engine / intake /exhaust

file-39.jpg

file-40.jpg

file-41.jpg

The driver's seatbelt.... I might have to change this.

file-41.jpg

The important bit - matching chassis number with the build plate - although you can't see it too well... chassis number matches the one on the plate that has the all important 2T-G stamped as the standard engine!

file-38.jpg

(a close up of the plate)

file-46.jpg

That should satisfy you for now!

This thing is Awesome !!! Loving pretty much everything about this car. :y:

nice.

hope to see it at the toyotafest in june. (no excuses...)

+1. Must see this at Toyotafest. I'll be there in my Panelvan. :)

All the best with this mad TE37.

Josh :cool:

nice.

hope to see it at the toyotafest in june. (no excuses...)

If you're talking about the All Toyota Winterfest on June 24 - unfortunately, it won't be there. I'd already booked to be away for that week.

Awesome +3! Will also be looking for this at Toyotafest.

How did the import go logistically? Often see assorted halfcuts at Aaron's, curious to know how a full car for certifiction goes.

Import went very smoothly! I hardly had to do anything.

This is how it went....

I found the car on the import monster site (which translates all the yahoo.jp auctions)

I found extra photos at the original yahoo site, which gave me enough information to make an offer.

The guys at import monster did some negotiating for me (and got it at a lower than the 'starting' price).

The rest was easy... the car was shipped to their warehouse in Japan. I applied for a vehicle import approval... which was easy as the car is pre 1989 with basically no mods. Once this was done, I just had to wait for it to be put on a ship. Clearing customs and quarantine took 2 days [very quick apparently], and the car was delivered to my door on the back of a tow truck. All I had to do was pay the bills. It took around 3 months from start to finish... and most of that was waiting for paperwork to be done.