Ae92, Supercharged Khanacross Car.

Boosted

Cheers, it should be good.

Another quick update, since I'm home slacking today.

Got pretty damn warm at the last Khanacross and was originally thinking of Mitsubishi EVO style rear window vents, just for the fun of it, but had one of those cheapy roof vents kicking around, so figured I'd cut a hole in the roof instead.

IMG_2442.jpg

They say measure twice, cut once. I measured many more times than that to be sure with this one.

Taped a box inside to catch the swaf as I wasn't about to pull seats and crap our of the way

IMG_2444.jpg

Turned out pretty well. Except for a whole bunch of cutoff wheel dust over the car.

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

I left the masking tape down while I sika-flexed the vent onto the car, then gave it a few minutes to set before removing the masking tape. Avoids messy cleanup of glue around the opening, worked well. Should have thought of this before I did the bonnet scoop.

Edited by Boosted

Members dont see this ad

And just to really blow the thread out on pics.

Made this tyre grooving stand to make it easier for grooving tyres. The long acre ones are nice, but pricey and they've gone to this single wheel per corner style now. After using this one, think it would be better to get the long rollers from a material handling joint and just use the two of them. Was going to go that way, but the castors cost me about $25 from Bunnings and meant I didn't have to take time of work in the middle of the day to grab them.

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

Pattern on the tyres was just to try and give them more sweeping ability when sliding sideways, but still retain a fair amount of contact patch when driving straight. Really a compromise until I get another pair of rally tyres. Will see how it goes at the September Khanacross.

• 1 month later...

F*&k, I feel for you! Still, shouldn't be too hard to find a cheap shell, just will be a lot of work. It seemed like it tipped pretty easy though, did anything else break before hand?

That seemed like a pretty open and fast khana course too, the straights are supposed to be less than 100m?

Good luck with it all, hope you're back out sooner rather than later!

Yeah, he's been fighting the rear, it's still really skaty. It's ended up turning him into that corner a bit sooner than he wanted and it's still sliding in the rear as he's run over one of the tyres used as course markers, that's helped lift it up, the corner was fairly dug up all ready, so it's dug in and over she goes.

car-roll-a.jpg

roll3.jpg

Still looks good from this end

IMG_2480.jpg

IMG_2484.jpg

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2488.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg

So, my mate owes me a shell (we're already checking options) and I've already contacted some people on here about some other bits to fix it up. Few weekends work and everything will swap over, so not so bad really. Fortunately this was the last hurrah for the season, so bit of a wait till the next event. The real bugger is, I missed out on my last run of the day and I think I might have been up for decent placing, even with a couple of mid-corner spins earlier in the day. Oh well ..... shit happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Hadn't read this thread for a while. What a shame. At least its still a very common car and easy to replace. We've just done an event where the track is lined with tyres - all there just to help you on your way if you slide a bit too wide -_- I really don't see the need for them.

Hey Swampgarage, agree with you on the tyres. Without them it would have rocked, but doubt it would have gone over.

I am planning on painting it, mostly because I've got to panel beat a door and the roof is showing signs of surface rust. Was hoping to find a nice silver as it would go fairly close to the 'Ice Green' colour of the new shell.Unfortunately all the silvers are metallic (as is this current green colour apparently ?) and I don't want to be paying those $$. But at the moment, haven't found a light grey colour that goes close, have to check out the auto stores tonight. The previous shell was Rio Red and I panel beated and paint one door about ~1.5-2yrs ago (this projects been on the go for a while) and it was $100/L at that stage. Even if i just do a dodgy colour change, there's gotta be 4L or more of tint in painting the entire car then add sandpaper, bog and primer coats, it start's getting exxy. But if I can't find a suitable grey, might be what it comes down to, at least I could then use the rear hatch from the old one complete (wasn't going to bother swapping the spoiler to this one).

Paint was never that flash on the old girl, but it's worse on this one and I'm not going to take an ugly car out to play. It's gotta look half decent.... in the beginning.

4 Litres? 2 would cover the whole car in about 3/4 layers if you spray it all at once.

Cost me $50 a litre for enamel or acrylic to be mixed to whatever i want. Even custom mixes.. So not quite as bad as you'd think!

Also you can ask for it without the metallic flakes etc when you have it mixed

Edited by Jono.C