Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

4Age Black Stuff From Exhaust

Featured Replies

Ola

 

So I just got my car running as some may know. 4age 16v in KE70

The thing is its spitting out this black stuff (photo below). There is no smoke

The engine has sat for 6+ months before I started it. I have no idea on the condition of the exhaust.

I have a sneaking suspicion I put a but much oil in it.

 

Yes I searched but I couldn't find anything that specific.

2012-10-31_09-55-21_718.jpg

 

So should I be worrying? What can I do to solve this?

 

Cheers

Edited by It's_AUDM_Yo

Well have you checked your oil level? Seems a bit premature to mention that when its easy to check. If its an old exhaust, you may just have some carbon deposits coming out, it may be really rich and putting out some soot, I dunno. Have a look at it, whats it smell and feel like?

  • Author

Yeah I did yesterday, It was around full maybe a touch over.

Couldn't really smell it, it was a tad oily when touched. It hosed of easily so it mustn't be to oily.

I've heard of people pouring oil inside exhausts to keep them from rusting out while they're being stored. My dad actually bought a second hand exhaust that had had this done to it, there was so much smoke and shit coming out when he first drove it lol.

^ :S how's your fuel economy?

^Order an O2 sensor already! holla at me if you want a new one, can get the weld-on bung as well.

O2 sensor on these is only relevant at idle or cruise. Euro versions of 16 valves didn't even have an O2 sensor, instead they had a variable resistor which adjusted mixture at idle.

 

Your fuel economy is more related to your foot.

 

 

Edit: the black shit is the standard black soot you see in your exhaust pipe thanks to abolition of lead in petrol. Back in the old days, your exhaust pipe was grey. In those times, black suggested super rich or oil burning.

 

When the engine is cold, condensation left over in combustion runs out the blackened exhaust pipe and leaves black shit on the drive. Once hot, it evaporates and you don't see it.

Edited by parrot

Part of the combustion process, is water vapour. this condenses on the cool exhaust metal. In the mean time, because your car is also running rich (not up to temperature/etc) on start-up, it produces carbon as part of the unburnt fuel. This mixes to form your black liquid. happens to most cars - especially carbied ones...

Edited by Bowler

  • Author

A little bit of its 3ish weeks with some additive but most of its a day old 95 octane.

 

Would a bit of revving help clear it out?

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.