Ideas For Engine Bay Paint

springersrolla

Members dont see this ad

whatever you pick make sure its good paint and it is done well.

we painted an engine bay with cheap paint once, and did an ordinary job. looked great UNTIL we started working on the engine. All the paint started chipping off in places and it began looking very tacky....

yeh i like what your saying altezza, ive been reading about racecars with white or silver to see spills,leaks and other issues easily. white bay with a bit of colour on the block and some chrome could look good, even body colour coded rockercover and the likes. ive gotta get it clean to start with and then organise my compressor and ill let you all know how i go

I'm just gonna rattle off a few...

Spray chrome & clear coat (not the tacky silver paint, you can actually get spray on chrome)

Get a few decks of playing cards and go nuts with contact adhesive, then clear it. Worked well on the front quarter of my Charade except I forgot the clear coat and they perished in the sun :(

yl61.jpg

Wrinkle finish the whole bay (be aware that this requires baking, but once it sets it's very durable)

Hammertone

Paint the bay white, then stick a fire cracker in a plastic bag of paint and shut the bonnet. Do a few passes with different colours (red, blue, yellow etc.)

Make sure you remove/close off everything in the bay, then set a fire in there to burn off all the paint

This last one is a bit of a process. Strip all the paint and remove the galv with either a grinder or ascorbic acid (neutralize with baking soda afterwards or it corrodes everything downwind of it), then rub beer & salt into the bare metal to make it rust. Once it gets brown enough, wash the shit off and spray it with this stuff:

1556.jpg

Let it seep in for a few days, then whack a few coats of clear over it. The fish oil stays tacky basically forever but you can still clear over it. If the steel is galvanized you can do the same process and let it rust through a bit. Looks like this on my Charade:

1p16.jpg