Ke55-S Xx Coupe

Mechanical Sympathy

Thanks Dave - they are indeed Performance Superlites in the seemingly less common / less popular 10 spoke configuration in 15x6 +24 with 205/55/15 tyres.

205 is plenty of tyre and looks wide tucked underneath the rear. But to be fair I'm taking some strategic photos - I think they're a little too positive in offset.

I would like them better if they sat out more on the rear, and they sit quite close to the strut. My 13" staggered Jovites would be a much better fit. But the Performance wheels do look cleaner. I just might use both sets!

post-18751-0-44492500-1456437245_thumb.jpeg

post-18751-0-69118400-1456437337_thumb.jpeg

post-18751-0-01032700-1456437401_thumb.jpeg

Starting to get dusty while I procrastinate. Paint has been on a couple months now so I should have a go at buffing it soon.

Members dont see this ad

Those wheels were the original performance superlites before they changed moulds to look more like minilites.

I too know the horrendous pain of not knowing whether wheels would fit with struts. Pic on last page of my tread. Although you don't need nuch space if the tyres stay well inflated :-D

Have ypu cut the original guards out from behind the flares?

• Upvote 1

I should experiment with spacers once I get it registered - 27mm! haha

Ah I was wondering why there was a difference. I bought them off eBay from a local guy who had them on his 240Z for the princely sum of $241 including useful tyres.

The guards remain standard underneath. I won't be setting any stance records! I might black out the guard behind the flare to make it less obvious.

The thing I liked about my KE35 in 1989 was that with 225/60/13 tyres and standard height I could run around the dirt tracks out behind Berrimah NT without getting bogged. While I won't be doing that with this car, I like comfort and ground clearance. My mates reckon I'm a boring old fart, drop it on its guts etc.

A few comments and interest from my Rollaclub contemporaries beats dirty Facebook likes. Thanks guys.

Edited by Mechanical Sympathy
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I spent a day with a few rattle cans of vinyl black on the door cards and roof lining, as well as fitting some new carpet and seat covers.

By the time I got this far it was time to knock off for the afternoon and sit in the back with an icy Coopers.

I have a set of nicely shaped KE50 seats for the front but the runners need a slight massage to accommodate them.

post-18751-0-78787800-1459202237_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Essentially I'm at lock-up stage, with the exterior complete (actually just remembered I'm waiting for a locking strip tool for the windshield).

Doors aligned, glass in.

Having stripped my Solex carbs for cleaning and found one of the grub screw threads in the body snapped out and filled with Silastic, I've decided to stump the cash for some new 40mm DCOE carbs and linkage in the hope they work out if the box and/or I can have them tuned.

I do have some concerns with my engine and gearbox mounts (made/ordered a couple of years ago). I have a full fist (admittedly a small fist) of space between the head and firewall, and the tailshaft does not go fully into the back of the gearbox. I'll have to take some photos and flick them through to Jordan but I almost feel I could slot the holes 15-25mm and shift the whole lot back. I'll take some snaps later this evening to gauge opinions.

post-18751-0-69332600-1460344874_thumb.jpeg

Haha really? I do remember looking at it at the time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I ran back and forward between cross members comparing them it didn't look very different. I was looking for obvious signs of welding.

Coupled with a set of butchered TA22 mounts that were on the long motor, I assumed they'd done the usual crooked/twisted install on a KE crossmember.

At that point I approached KE Conversions to make 2T mounts even though nobody was asking for them (cause the Internet declared Celica mounts work bro). He didn't take any convincing though as it was already on his list. I should clarify - I'm very happy with how the motor sits in the bay, just the tailshaft concerned me.

One remaining niggle though is the exhaust was made to suit the shorter tailshaft arrangement, and so therefore is straining to sit an inch further forward on its mounts. I might fit some longer mounting rubbers, or when I'm up and running get a flange fitted to the exhaust to make it slightly longer.

So I need new uni's!

New brake hoses arrived. You only need to burst one, to never trust old ones again!

• 3 weeks later...

If you could that would be great. The xx being the only corolla with a factory wheel option essentially dictates what anybody with a ke3x/5x can run width wise.

Edit - delayed reply. Still would like to see some xx specific info.

Edited by Taz_Rx