Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Enthusiast Insurance

Featured Replies

Been quoted $630 to insure a modified AE86 at $8000 agreed value plus salvage rights by a well known insurer of such things. This with my stating it will be on a 45 day club reg permit.

 

That works out at $14 per trip, with every likelihood it will do less than 45 days a year.

 

Is it just me, or is that a little pricey? Interested to know what others are paying for similar situations.

 

Note, I'm a rating 1, no finance, locked in a garage and close to 50 years old.......

Sounds about the same as mine but I'll have to check. I'll see if I can find my policy tonight.

Mine is insured for $520 per year as a second car, which they define as driven approx 2 days a week.

 

Club rego doesnt help that price really as my brothers car is on club, and has the same approx 2 days per week on it.

 

Agreed value does not seem to change the premium either we have found.

 

Lock up garage? good nieghbourhood? they are the other 2 factors i guess.

I was quoted $1342 full comprehensive with salvage with an agreed value of $6000. I have a clean driving record with zero at fault claims. Fully locked up garage and as a car not driven daily (2-5 trips weekly), no finance also.

 

Although I'm very young (and still building rating), I'm responsible as hell on the roads which I understand doesn't change a thing.

I'm going to pay my cars worth in insurance in a short few years.

 

Your quote is still too high in opinion, mine is just absolutely ridiculous.

Edited by B-Lugg

My 11 is insured for 10k and cost $580 last year.

That's salvage no questions asked, glass cover and my choice of repairer. Oh yeah I'm rating 1 for life too.

Man that does seem excessive. Maybe the AE86 is a high theft risk ( as in desirable ).

Peechs only cost me $300 a year full comp, agreed value of $13000. And used as a daily driver.

I do have four cars insured with the same company though.

I pay $110.00 per month for 2 cars. Covered for $7500ea, one limited(no) use, the other as a daily. Both locked up in a garage. I'm over 30, and have no at fault crashes.

Shannons is generally a pretty expensive insurer. I had NRMA tell me my work truck had dropped 2500 in value that they would pay out, and they still wanted to increase my premium to $1100 a year from $890 and the only reason they could give for wanting more money for less insurance is that the model of car is repaired or payed out on frequently. I dropped em like a hot rock, and moved everythng to suncorp, and insured the Celica and the Truck for under $1000 with full comp and agreed values of $12000 and $4600 respectively.

 

Shop around! Try a broker even, sometimes they can forge you a policy from thin air.

Yep it's worth shopping around. My missus R34 skyrine got quoted at $1200 through Shannon, it has a list of bolt on mods but has no mod plates required. Went through suncorp for under half that price. The problem comes when you have mod plates, I attempted to insure the Pajero through suncorp, it has engine trans mod plate, they wouldn't touch it. It's through Shannons.

I'm paying $690 for two cars, a ke 30 sr20 agreed value 2 5k and 1968 crown agreed value 10k. This falls under extreme limited use. There is definition with Shannon what extreme limited use is. As mentioned earlier I dare say theft risk would play a huge part.

  • Author

Yes through Shannon's. I only got salvage rights due to having owned the car so long (early 90's).

 

It would be fair to say I live in one of Melbourne's "blue ribbon" suburbs, so the postcode shouldn't really be contributing I wouldn't think.

 

They are due to call me soon so perhaps I can query the extreme limited use thing.

 

I also got them to quote me for laid up cover on the KE15 plus routine insurance on my daily which was additional cost (quite reasonable)

 

years back I had a good relationship with Torque Insurance on the AE86. I might try them, if they still exist.

That works out at $14 per trip

 

That's the correct way to look at it! Yes, its hellish expensive, but I don't know the answer.

 

The Altezza is about $600 at Shannons and the two KE70s aren't insured, only 3rd Party property.

  • Author

They called today. Got the spiel, and told I get 365 days per year theft cover whilst it is sitting in the shed, which I think I knew.

 

Seriously though, the premiums are out of all proportion for what will be a rarely driven car. I don't expect it to be free, but also I don't expect it to be that much. Our other current model daily driver cars are worth 5 - 6 times the value of the AE86, driven daily and the premium is roughly the same.

 

I see Torque are part of Lumley's now, along with Swann etc. so will see what they have to say

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.