Whats A Ta22 Rear End Worth?

Members dont see this ad

For that price I would be shortening a r31 8 3/4" can get drum or disc rear. Mini spools are about $100 on ebay. Easily get the diff/shortened/spool for 600. Also early hilux rn41??? Are close to corolla width I'm pretty sure. I wouldnt bother with ta22 youd still have to weld leaf perches and play around with it. Prety sure some older vans fit and are an upgrade also

Great, thanks for the tip. Something like this?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=121533559515

My only concern is keeping the stud pattern and 13inch wheels I have. Can my hubs be welded onto the skyline shafts? Sorry if that's a stupid question but I haven't done a rear end swap before.

R31 is 4x114.3 same as corolla. Keep same studpattern. Can upgrade to discs or get lucky and find one as is. Much more useable diff gears to find for cheap. I still think 300 for that diff is up there. See if u can find someone wrecking a pintara/skyline locally. If you rip your diff out just copy the leaf perches whencits shortened. Id just run with stock diff. I sourced a ke38 auto diff and didnt seem to be as loud/whinging as my original and 4.3 gears.same goes. Maybe find a cheap auto diff and keep it as a spare. I think there reasonably strong treated right. I give mine abuse and hasnt had dramas

I would think $100 would be closer to what it's worth.

Yep- bought a T-series from the local wreecker for exactly that much. Came out of an RA60.

Maybe I should just weld my diff? Or would that be a disaster on the road?

Rian is right... disaster waiting to happen.

R31 is 4x114.3 same as corolla. Keep same stud pattern

Yep, but wheel stud thread pitch is different so the Toyota wheel nuts won't fit. Studs can be swapped over.

Your hardest thing is finding a low enough diff ratio. Bigger cars (1.6L and over) use 3.7 and 3.9 and ratios like that. A 4K needs 4.1 or 4.3 to feel like it is going somewhere. I've tried 3.9, 4.1 and 4.3 in the KE70s, and then played with tyre sizes to get what I want... low 4.3 around town, higher 3.9 or 4.0 for trips. Find a 4.1 T-series in a Celica and run 175/60series 13" tyres at one ned, 175/70s at the other. Swap front to rear for trips or around town.

We have just ponied up $1500 for a OS Giken LSD to go into the KE70 rally car, in the same T-series housing we had on the Celica. There is no dodging the high price of LSDs.

Which one am I after? is one better than the other? I think its the earlier small axle one I want, but not sure?

T-series. Axels and housings interchange but you wont find lsd for a D series

Ta 22 diff will save you cost and hazzle of shortening so worth a bit more than the others mentioned

in my opinion. Youll also need rear part of driveshaft to suit whatever diff youre getting