T50 Gearboxes

85wrx

Is there any differences between a 4A T50 and a T50 that suits a 2TGEU.

I know the bell housing would be different. Will the 4A bolt up to the other version?

Are there any other difference is should be aware of?

I am in need of fixing the gearbox in my AE71. Has issues selecting 2nd gear when downshifting from 3rd gear? Bought the car like this 4 months ago. I have replaced all the synchros. It is better but still annoying.

Members dont see this ad

Out put shaft is different ,you can change the front yoke (same uni)

The problem is that the bell housing will bolt up but leak oil ,a lot of oil .

There was a write up on toyomods about it years ago.

The shifter position is also different position about 17 -20mm foward.

It all gets messy .

I would try to ae71 or ae86 box save your self some grief or maybe a lot of sh#t.

The box you proberly have is a ta22 box.

rob

Edited by corollaart

Out put shaft is different ,you can change the front yoke (same uni)

The problem is that the bell housing will bolt up but leak oil ,a lot of oil .

There was a write up on toyomods about it years ago.

The shifter position is also different position about 17 -20mm foward.

It all gets messy .

I would try to ae71 or ae86 box save your self some grief or maybe a lot of sh#t.

The box you proberly have is a ta22 box.

rob

above is your affordable option.... :drinks:

if you got the cash... LEEN in Ireland offers a complete kit, and or bolt in transmission swap to run a J160 6 speed from an Altezza/IS200. It isn't cheap, but it is once, and done

5qiv7.jpg

Is there any differences between a 4A T50 and a T50 that suits a 2TGEU.

I know the bell housing would be different. Will the 4A bolt up to the other version?

Are there any other difference is should be aware of?

I am in need of fixing the gearbox in my AE71. Has issues selecting 2nd gear when downshifting from 3rd gear? Bought the car like this 4 months ago. I have replaced all the synchros. It is better but still annoying.

Depends what year 2tgeu it came from. They came from 78 to 85? so wont be from a ta22 originally but still could be 20 or 22 spline (smal/large input bearing)

what oil are you using?

Edited by tojo2

The oil I am using is Castrol EPX 80w-90. I was going to see if there is an additive that I could you that maybe able to help.

The problem with some of the T50 from either an AE71 or AE86, unsure if they have been thrashed drifted or raced and may have the same issue I currently have.

The other option would be too expensive as the car is a daily driver. No intention of racing this car.

Do the synchros take time to wearin? They have only been fitted for 300ks.

Edited by 85wrx

You say you have issues going from 3rd to 2nd, does it crunch or is it tight to go in ? & is it worse the quicker you try it & have you tried it with the car stationery going from 3rd to 2nd engine on & engne off too & if so is it good then ??

Edited by lexsmaz

I might have to try a different oil then. The one I am using was recommended on the Castrol site.

Before I changed the synchros it wouldn't go into 2nd at all no matter how hard you changed. The only way to downshift was to slightly notch first gear then it would go into 2nd.

Since i changed the synchros when it is cold it won't go into 2nd. When the gearbox warms up it will select 2nd 90% of the times. When it does work it doesn't feel smooth as any of the other gear changes.

Stationary it seems to select the gears fine.

Edited by 85wrx

If you prefere castrol Id use this one. Let us know how you go. Good luck :

product description

About: Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90 Fully Synthetic MTF (Replaces SMX S 75w-85)

Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90 Fully Synthetic MTF (Replaces SMX S 75w-85)

Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90 Fully Synthetic MTF (replaces Castrol SMX S 75w-85) is recommended for most manual transmissions where API GL-4 lubricants are required. It has been used successfully as a problem solver in the manual transmissions of a number of manufacturers.

Theres GL4 and GL5 gear type oils.

GL4 is the older version that is yellow metal friendly and doesnt contain the extreme pressure additive.

GL5 is the newer version that contains an extreme pressure additive and is not yellow metal friendly.

Current GL5 now claims to be compatible with yellow metals but some people just prefer to rely on GL4,

thats what I seemed to make of it all anyway...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...