Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Seat And Harness Mounting

Featured Replies

Hi all,

I'm looking to fit a race seat and harness in my ke30 for a few sprints and hill climbs (not for road use), my question is about how to do it properly.

I have read all the CAMS regs etc and from what I understand for club level sprints as long as its all installed as per CAMS regs it will be OK. Do you have to have an inspection done by a CAMS official and get them signed off? or are the Scrutineers at events licenced or CAMS approved to OK things on the day? I'm a bit unsure.

Am I correct in thinking that mod plates are only required when the car is being used on the public roads?

Also rear mounting points for a harness in the KE30 on the parcel shelf using 50x75x3mm plates, will this be ok or would a further reinforcing plate be needed?

Any advise would be appreciated.

You could assume that by the time you pull a 50x75 plate through the parcel shelf the G-forces would have killed you... Seeing you're pulling paralell to the parcel shelf plane the leverage the parcel shelf has is immense.

 

But if you want extra safety you could just bolt a 100x150x3mm plate on the harness bolt under the parcel shelf with an extra nut. That way if the 50x75 pulls through the shelf the 100x150 will then jam against the underside of the shelf. At least it keeps the corpse in the car! I'm a great believer in spreading the load, so letting something fail and give a little before the next thing kicks in.

 

The other point that always amuses me is the strength of seat mounts. If the seat mount fails the harness holds you and the seat in place. If the harness fails you exit via the window and the seat doesn't help at all.

 

I haven't looked at how CAMS logs track/hillclimb stuff. We have had the rally rego passed this last year so the whole car gets a rego inspection by a "super-scrutineer" once, then checks at each event. That was the first attempt to get all scrutineering the same, as some guys would allow something and others wouldn't.

 

Phone the scrutineer for the event you want to enter from last year's supplementary regs and ask him just to make sure.

  • Author

Cheers!

The maximum allowed angle from shoulder to floor is 45deg but less than 10deg is the recommended, so you don't compress your spine in a crash.

The plates under the parcel shelf will be easy enough to do but I was just unsure if the parcel shelf would be of acceptable strength? the more I look and think about it I sure it will be.

The proper way to do it, by the time you need a real harness is to mount it to the harness bar in your cage.

Rear parcel shelf could easily move in a crash and tighten / loosen your harness. Mounting to the rear seat

belt bolts is almost a perfect solution but they could change position in a crash and the bad angle will roll your

shoulders very badly under tension. My theroy is If you need a harness then you need a cage to mount it to.

The harness bar can be in the main hoop or between the rear stays in a full cage. Half cage is only a ROPS.

Check with the relevant regulations first for your application.

don't forget about a collapsible steering column also

  • Author

don't forget about a collapsible steering column also

 

What do mean?

 

 

What do mean?

 

If in the event of a crash you may move forward, you don't want the steering shaft to impale you, hence why they have collapsible columns that crush and prevent this, you do need to check the regs and the event you wish to attend for harness locations, steering and cages, get a hyundai excel, cheaper to race

  • Author

If in the event of a crash you may move forward, you don't want the steering shaft to impale you, hence why they have collapsible columns that crush and prevent this, you do need to check the regs and the event you wish to attend for harness locations, steering and cages, get a hyundai excel, cheaper to race

 

oh OK I thought there was something in the CAMS regs I had missed.

Cheers

In my KE70 I've used the old seat belt holes for the harness and have been passed for khanacross. Hill climbs and sprints may be a little more stringent, I'm not sure. Definitely check the angle if you do it that way. The parcel shelf always struck me as a bit flimsy in old Corolla's, but maybe I'm being paranoid.

 

Steering column shouldn't be an issue if you've mounted your belt properly unless you happen to concertina your car enough to move the seat towards the wheel. I made my own seat mounts out of metal bar welded to the old seat mount feet. I think I used 5mm or something ridiculous. They definitely need to be re done :)

 

Do the hill climbs and sprints have come and try days? Often they will let road reg cars run with factory seats and belts. It would be a good way to try it out and also talk to people in the know about your options for putting in good gear. But maybe hold off driving 10 10ths until you have the gear :)

get a hyundai excel, cheaper to race

 

...and understeer around this corner, and ooops, understeer around this corner, and gosh, understeer around THIS corner, and running really wide here...

 

until the tail steps out and you're a passenger!

 

Excel is probably faster tho'....

Used the top seat belt mount to mount one side my harness when I was running my ke20. Figured it was engineered for seat belt loads and already had a captive nut. Scrutineers still made me remove the captive nut and run a load spreading plate anyway......

 

Already had plated the mount for the other harness strap.

Well you could read this .http://docs.cams.com.au/Manual/GeneralRequirements/GQ10-Schedule-I-2015-1.pdf .

http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?45186-FIA-Approved-Seat-Mounting-Options-(CARS)

Maybe an over kill for what you doing but hay you might as well do it right.

 

Kieth you might be suprised how well you can get these excels to handle on the dirt (with Murrays help)

 

and yes they are faster ,i will now go and wash my mouth out with soap.

 

Rob

Edited by corollaart

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.