Maxi

TOMsGPTurbo

Tell me about it Teddy, I'm still living in 2006 :P Last time I saw you was at Nick's place when he had a crack at changing the pads on my Rolla. Hope your doing well.

I purchased two of these today, so I have four of them. A bit over-kill as Maxi only weighs 900kg's but better to be safe than sorry!

post-5-0-98174100-1317711836_thumb.jpg

**EDIT** If you want to pick up some of these, now is the time! there on special for $35 - check your junk mail, their Super! :wink:

Edited by TOMsGPTurbo

Members dont see this ad

I posted this tonight in the Technical section, however I'll repost it here too unless you missed it over there.

Hey guys

Background:

My Rolla II GP Turbo had a 4EFTE (Starlet GT) engine slotted in by some dodgy mechanics around 7years ago, not even a month later the car was undriveable due to numerous issues which I couldn't address at the time, so it was put into storage. Recently a fellow rollaclub member gave me a car like mine with the same engine transplant for me to use as a parts car so I could get my car going again.

Main Issue:

During the engine swap 7 years ago the #&*@ stupid &@$!% mechanic didn't change the ECU over, so my 4EFTE (1.3ltr, 16v DOHC Turbo) was running an ECU designed for a 3ETE (1.5ltr, 12v SOHC Turbo engine).

The Situation,

Thinking the problem was just a simple(?) engine loom swap, I pulled the loom out of the parts car and I was going to plug it upto my engine, connect the ECU and job done.

However! my engine has a lot more stuff connected then the parts car did, and when I was sitting in my engine bay tonight, it didn't feel right pulling the loom out.

After closer inspection of the loom that's in the GP, it looks like the #&*@ stupid &@$!% mechanic did splice it, but I have no idea what he did, however I do have a 4EFTE and 3ETE loom diagram so I could work it out.

Would you:

a), Attempt to splice the current loom yourself to accommodate the 4EFTE ECU, or

b), Unplug the current spliced 3ETE loom and replug the 4EFTE loom.

Thank you,

Tom.

P.S: I know what I'm leaning towards, but I rather see what you say as my experience on working on cars is next to nothing.

To see the engine loom pics with blue electrical tape where it appears it was spliced, check out - Technical Thread

Random pics from tonight working on the car,

Ever wonder whats behind the dash of a EL31 Toyota Corsa??? (not even once?) Well just in case you do:

post-5-0-60739100-1317820965_thumb.jpg

I'm planning to strip everything out, and put it aside.

Wiring sucks sad.gif

post-5-0-52953800-1317821006_thumb.jpg

Edited by TOMsGPTurbo

I pulled the 3ETE loom out, plugs look like they are the same as the parts car loom, if there not then I'll have to change that part over. I must say it feels great working on my own car and doing stuff myself, also makes it special that it's my first car, I can't wait to hear it start up for the first time in years...

On another note, I found my old overalls the other day, I washed them during the week and tonight I chucked them on to work on the car, and its fantastic! I didn't think once about dirtying my cloths and my mind was completely on the job, therefore, overalls get a :y:

One 3ETE engine loom:

post-5-0-66071100-1318080982_thumb.jpg

I must say it feels great working on my own car and doing stuff myself, also makes it special that it's my first car, I can't wait to hear it start up for the first time in years...

On another note, I found my old overalls the other day, I washed them during the week and tonight I chucked them on to work on the car, and its fantastic! I didn't think once about dirtying my cloths and my mind was completely on the job, therefore, overalls get a :y:

:y:

Hell yeah!

Overalls for the win! They also have heaps of handy pockets to stash sockets etc that usually roll away to exactly 2 inches out reach or you have to crawl out from under the car because you forgot the 14mm... :yes: :laff:

Difficult to get the loom out?

:y:

Hell yeah!

Overalls for the win! They also have heaps of handy pockets to stash sockets etc that usually roll away to exactly 2 inches out reach or you have to crawl out from under the car because you forgot the 14mm... :yes: :laff:

Difficult to get the loom out?

I love my overalls, even tho they are bright red, with white, and have Ralliart patches and Bridgestone with 'Sutherland Mitsubishi' written on the back, I look like a Mitsubishi team mechanic sabotaging a Toyota! :fuzz:

Check them out:

post-5-0-49144500-1318148075_thumb.jpg

As for the loom, not really, just un-pluging and taking the care not to break anything, had to take the strut bar off to get in behind the motor, and also cut one huge arse copper wire behind the engine, not sure if that's important :hmm:

**EDIT** - Update: I just put both looms next to each other:

Here are some wiring issues :blinks:

First 3 - accidential pulled out the sensor, whats' a good fix?

post-5-0-47360700-1318151790_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-73290900-1318151785_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-81914100-1318151779_thumb.jpg

I had to cut this thick wire, any clues on rejoining something like this via male/female connecter?

post-5-0-73129400-1318151794_thumb.jpg

Also, checked the looms out, seems to be a few different plugs and some completely missing.. :(

Edited by TOMsGPTurbo

I attempted to fit the parts car loom tonight, no joy, to many unknown plugs, injectors are different, my motor has the 3ETE injectors (red), still in place, I'm thinking I'll convert them to the 4EFTE ones.

I can tell you tell you working on a car with no head room, hitting my head on beams, and I can't even stand upright, is really getting a bit annoying. I envey you people with garages.

Anyhow, I'm going to splice the original loom to have the 4EFTE plugs, I've come to the conclusion that it will be the easiest thing to do. After a bit of this----> :sob:

I thought I'll chuck that worn out Nardi steering wheel on, looks alright, crapy condition but a lot lighter then the original, which I'm planning to restore and keep around.

This cheered me up a little:

post-5-0-18418000-1318161689_thumb.jpg

Matt, lol I'm sitting here looking at 1 x 3ETE loom, 1 x hacked 4E/3E loom, 1 x 4EFTE loom.... 3 x 4EFTE ecu's and 1 x 3ETE ecu, .... Shudder is the word considering my wiring experience extends to plugging up desktop PC parts lol

The good news is that I've just found a pin-out diagram for the 3ETE ecu, and I have one for the 4EFTE ECU, things have finally turned for the better!!

(Every time things go pear-shaped with the looms I walk over to the comp and nearly PM Justin lol, but then remember I have to have a crack at it myself!)

Current situation (with my assistant sleeping on the job):

post-5-0-51508000-1318427780_thumb.jpg

Edited by TOMsGPTurbo

I'm doing the wiring now, though just came accross an issue,

Would VS VS1 on the 3ETE ecu be the same thing as VS V1 on the 4EFTE ?

EDIT .. it is... I did a typo on my ECU plans

Should be VS V1 .. confirmed via ECU circuit board.

post-5-0-46627200-1318667058_thumb.jpg

Edited by TOMsGPTurbo

I'm stuck, on my 4EFTE diagram I have a couple of ECU pin out's I can't match on my 3ETE wiring diagram:

The following is on the 89661-10040 4EFTE ECU that don't know what to connect to:

VF - ???

ELS - Electrial load signal system tail light relay

DISC - Aux. Control Valve / idle system vaccum switching valve

AC1 - A/C Switch signal system (12v to aircon computer)?

AC2 - 12v to aircon computer

ACT - A/C cut control system

The following is on my 3ETE ECU I don't know what to connect to:

VCC - ???

A/C - Aircon

I'm thinking, I'll connect AC1 and AC2 together and plug them into the A/C wire?

I've stuffed up, I'm checking out a starlet wiring diagram and it has VCC mentioned, but looks like I've plugged something else up to it..

:bash:

**EDIT** woops VCC & FF are on both ECU's, I stuffed up (again) have to re-wire them again.

Still no DISC or ELS tho... ? any ideas anyone?

Edited by TOMsGPTurbo

Finished for tonight, only have aircon to worry about now,

I have one wire outstanding on my 3ETE loom which is for VSV2, I'm thinking this could be: DISC - Aux. Control Valve / idle system vaccum switching valve

VSV1 which is on both ECU's is: Air control vacum switching valve.

They sorta sound like the same thing? .... anyone?

Anyhow, here is the 3ETE ecu loom with 4EFTE, my first go at auto-electrics, including soldering lol

post-5-0-25980100-1318860218_thumb.jpg

Close up of ECU wires, may not be pretty, but lets hope it works:

post-5-0-82629600-1318860316_thumb.jpg

I'm stuck, on my 4EFTE diagram I have a couple of ECU pin out's I can't match on my 3ETE wiring diagram:

The following is on the 89661-10040 4EFTE ECU that don't know what to connect to:

VF -

The following is on my 3ETE ECU I don't know what to connect to:

VCC - ???

VF = check connector.

VCC = sensor power supply (5 volts), should be for the TPS.