Speedo Correction

Banjo

Hi Guys,

I've had some 14" Delta mags on my KE30 2 door for a while now, and the speedo obviously reads bit slow.

The KE30 started out life as a 2 speed auto, with a 3K engine & a 4.3 ratio JAP diff. Over the years I've fitted a 4KU, and a KE70 5 speed gear box. I've also done up a BW rear end diff from my olde KE550 coupe, which went to Toyota heaven, due to cancer. That diff has a 4.11 ratio.

I've just had the 4 x Delta 14" mags all straightened up by FMR down at Ashmore on the Gold Coast. By tomorrow night, I'll have a new set of Pirelli Cinturato P1s on it, and figured I should then get the speedo corrected.

What have others done on here to achieve a corrected speedo reading ? I notice on ebay there are mechanical corrector boxes. There are also pulse generators that fit to the gearbox, instead of the cable, but that will require replacing the speedo itself with an electronic one.

Any one done either type of conversion, with success ?

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Members dont see this ad

Hi Guys,

I've had some 14" Delta mags on my KE30 2 door for a while now, and the speedo obviously reads bit slow.

The KE30 started out life as a 2 speed auto, with a 3K engine & a 4.3 ratio JAP diff. Over the years I've fitted a 4KU, and a KE70 5 speed gear box. I've also done up a BW rear end diff from my olde KE550 coupe, which went to Toyota heaven, due to cancer. That diff has a 4.11 ratio.

I've just had the 4 x Delta 14" mags all straightened up by FMR down at Ashmore on the Gold Coast. By tomorrow night, I'll have a new set of Pirelli Cinturato P1s on it, and figured I should then get the speedo corrected.

What have others done on here to achieve a corrected speedo reading ? I notice on ebay there are mechanical corrector boxes. There are also pulse generators that fit to the gearbox, instead of the cable, but that will require replacing the speedo itself with an electronic one.

Any one done either type of conversion, with success ?

Cheers Banjo

This is something that I'm also interested in knowing.

I replaced a 3.6 diff for a 4.3 from a KE36 Corolla Van and replaced the 145/80 R13 wheels for 185/60 R14 ones.

At 120kmh in my speedo, the GPS is reading 96kmh.

I noticed on the Toymods website, when researching this tonight, that the T & W series gearboxes had different ratios of the gear drive for the speedo cable.

http://www.toymods.o...the-factory-way

This is a very good read, for anyone wanting numbers.

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/phil.bradshaw/transmission.htm#Speedo%20Drives

Was wondering whether anyone has checked this out on the auto, & 4 & 5 speed KE gearboxes ? Is it possible that the cable drive gears on the T & W series gearboxes may also fit the K series gearboxes ?

I've got a 2 speed auto transmission, in the shed, along with a 4spd & 5 speed boxes, so will compare them tomorrow. Too cooooold to head out there at 10:15 pm on a cold Winter Queensland night !

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

....cold Winter Queensland night !

Ha. Put another blouse on lol.

I can tell you that when I put my k-t in the original cable slotted straight into the Speedo drive. Haven't got my w50 any more but pretty sure that was just the same too though. You'd need a matching set of gears though and the output shaft on the w box would no doubt be bigger so the gear would be loose on a k shaft.

I can confirm what taz said is right ,my k box speedo went straight in to the t series box.

I think Goldberg on toymods was selling speedo gearing.

The other way some thing like this that may or may not suit your car.

http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/heads-up-display

rob

Edited by corollaart

Yes Rob,

I was planning on using the GPS unit to calibrate the speedo & get a true reference speed. Saw the guys on Mighty Car Mods using the Jaycar unit to do this on an electronic speedo.

If it all gets too hard, I might just build a pulse pick up sensor, running off the diff input flange, with a little rare earth magnet & a Hall Effect sensor. Feed that into the Jaycar unit, then just find an electronic circular speedo, the exact same diameter as the KE30s, so it can slot in, & look original. Might even be able to swap the speedo dial face, so it looks totally original.

Anyone know of a electronic speedo, from any modern car, that is the same diameter, (94mm) as the KE's ?

Cheers Banjo

Quick look in the garage before heading to work, I removed the speedo drive from 2 off 5 speed gearboxes, & found they were different.

The first one was out of a 5 speed box that was fitted to a KE55 coupe. It had 20 teeth on the speedo drive output shaft, & peering in the hole to the ring gear on the GB output shaft it appeared to have 5 grooves.

The second one was out of a KE70 5 speed box. It had 22 teeth on the speedo drive shaft, & 5 grooves on the ring gear on the GB output shaft. I am assuming the speedo ring gear on the output shaft are identical, as when I swap the speedo output drive shafts between boxes, they slip in OK, & turn OK.

So one gives a ratio of x 4 of the tail shaft rotation whilst the other provides a ratio of 4.4.

Haven't located the one out a 4 speed box, or the the one out of the 2 speed auto transmission. However, looking down the hole into the 2 speed transmission, it appears to have a 5 groove drive ring gear also.

I'll do the calcs & see if they are of any assistance in getting the speedo reading closer to true speed.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Isn't it easier to change the face of the dial?

Fit a plastic sheet on it with the figures in the correct place?? Repaint the stock speedo face?

We use to stick a round disc on the outside of the Datsun speedo with speeds marked on it for closed-odo rallies, where accurate speed was crucial.

Thanks Rob,

That adaption of the AE101 electronic speed sensor is a work of art. I will get hold of an AE101 and maybe have a go at it. Maybe the AE101 speedo will even fit inside the KE30 dash ?

P.S. Actually, I brother in law has an AE101, and is overseas for 6 weeks at present, so might drop in tonight & check it all out, seeing he isn't using it.

Good bye speedo cable.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Thanks Rob,

That adaption of the AE101 electronic speed sensor is a work of art. I will get hold of an AE101 and maybe have a go at it. Maybe the AE101 speedo will even fit inside the KE30 dash ?

P.S. Actually, I brother in law has an AE101, and is overseas for 6 weeks at present, so might drop in tonight & check it all out, seeing he isn't using it.

Good bye speedo cable.

Cheers Banjo

I have a spare AE102 cluster and speed sensor...

AE10x speedos are pretty big though, from memory much bigger than the KE30/55

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Just picked up a brand new aftermarket AE101 SVS speed sensor, from HK, with free postage for $ 10.00 !

post-270-0-72915900-1467606108_thumb.jpg

Cheap way of getting hold of the sensor bits, so I can adapt to the K series GB speedo drive, as Rob described above.

I'll give it a try, & let you know how I get on.

Cheers Banjo