Ke70/ae71/te72/ae86 Similarities & Differences

gearbox x-members in TE71 and ae86 are different see pic http://www.toycrazy.net/tech/pics/te-ae-xmembers.jpg

ke70 gearbox xmember sim to te71 shape but is wider and mounts further forwards

ae86 and te71 hydraulic pedal boxes are not the same. ae86 has a separate clutch pedal box. te71 is all one part.

ke3 has narrower track so diff is not as wide as ke70 etc

ae86 and e7 (except wagon) diffs are similar in many ways. can bolt an ae86/te71 T series 6.7" in a ke70 for instance for upgrade. tho bigger diff head needs shorter driveshaft etc

T series drum/leaf diff into ke70 wagon... look for late 70's corona wagon.

te7/ae8 diff is 1400mm disk-to-disk

so far have tried tt132 wagon T diff in ke70, 1415mm wide... leaf mounts are a little wider apart and have fatter locating pins but otherwise shocks/handbrake/driveshaft bolts in. using custom lowering blocks to compensate for mount differences. random info for ya heh.

I hope this is on topic as I feel it is. I have a 83 AE71 4A-C with an auto transmission that I'm currently looking to swap with a manual. I found someone offering an AE86 SR5 manual setup for sale. Previous research has lead me to believe:

The bellhousing will match since it is a 4A motor

The clutch and brake pedal can be installed with minor modification.

The master, slave, soft and hard lines should fit with possible minor modification.

My unanswered questions are:

Will the AE86 transmission crossmember fit in my AE71 or can I use the original AE71 auto cross member? If not, can either one be modified to fit? (The pic above leads me to believe so)

Will the AE86 driveshaft fit with my original AE71 SR5 auto diff? Length, bolt pattern, etc?

Is there anything else that I need to find that is not available between the two assemblies? AE71 manual transmission mounts for example?

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Front Springs

KE70/AE71 - 70212 (Lowered)

TE72 - Not listed

AE86 - 71713 (Lowered)

KING SPRINGS

Front Springs

KE70/AE71 - KTFS-29 (Standard Height)

KE70/AE71 - KFRL-16 (Lowered) - Progressive Rate Design

KE70/AE71 - KTFS-33 (Standard Height) - Use if inside diameter of original lower coil mount is reduced

KE70/AE71 - KTFL-33 (Lowered) - Use if inside diameter of original lower coil mount is reduced

TE72 (79-7/81) - KTFS-16 (Standard Height)

TE72 (79-7/81) - KTFL-16 (Lowered)

TE72 (8/81-83) - KTFS-16A (Standard Height)

TE72 (8/81-83) - KTFL-16A (Lowered)

AE86 - KTFS-33 (Standard Height)

AE86 - KTFL-33 (Lowered)

so will ae86 front springs fit a ke70

the part numbers are different but does anyone kno if they will fit?

thanks matt

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I'm looking at picking up a TE71 with a 2T it looks just like a AE71 but has a 2T and bigger diff. I've got some concerns as I was putting a 4AGE into my KE70 but going to throw it into the TE71 if I can.

If I pull out all the TE71 front end can I put in my AE71 Crossmember, KE70 Steering rack, AE86 struts and brakes with xt130 lcas, ke70 swaybar?

Also will my ae86 t series tailshaft go from my T50 to the standard TE71 diff?

Hi there, I have a 1982 KE70 Sedan.

I'm looking to upgrade the suspension setup, now I am going to convert into AE86.

So all I should need is Front AE86 Coilovers, AE86 hubs & brakes, then T3 camber tops, xt130 lca's.

Is that all I need? Should I be doing anything else, I already have a strut brace that runs from the towers and bolts to the shell in the middle.

DO I NEED ANYTHING ELSE FOR THE FRONT?

Now, the rear, since coilovers don't fit in the ke70 sedan, do I just run like a pedders strut or something of the likes with a new spring in place of the old one?

hey dude

you will also need the ae86 steering arms to complete your front end.

pending how low you go a pair of RCAs are suggested.

if you intend on lowering the rear, best to get some short stroke shocks.

have a bit of a google around, my pick for cheap short stroke shocks is KYB part number 343113, they suit a lowered commondore, but fit into ke70. bit of a stiffer shock so work well with shorter/stiffer rear springs.

dotn go about 4kg/mm in the rear though, those shocks can't handle much more than that. pedders springs will be fine.

Ah, forgot the steering arms & RCAs!

I think I am wanting to run like 8kgs all round, so would this mean I have to weld the extra mounting points for the coilovers in the rear, then buy a AE86 GTS rear end?

I'm just having doubts that the rear wont be stiff enough with those short stroke shocks, as well as low enough because they aren't height adjustable.

Well I got told by a mate who runs all 8kg/mm that it's what I should run.

At the moment, its a daily but it's being built for a street/track car.

I need your opinions, I just want it to be around the same height and stiff.

Will the 4kg/mm still be stiff enough to slide for fun?

Please note, that I don't really care about comfort.

It's bumpy as now and I kinda love it.

Edited by Riddle

yeah i guess its very subjective spring rates.

if your going for an all out drift car, then yeah 8kg front, 6kg rear seems to be the go.

i had 8kg in the front for a while (recomendations from mates/forums...), probably good for sideways action, but had limited grip on the road due to it just being so bouncy, the tyres didnt have a chance to grip to the road.

remeber that it isnt the stiffness of the spring that determins the height. it is the lenght, and what length it will be with weight on the car.

a fun fact, the 8kg/mm refers to how much load it takes to compress the springs, ke70 = ~900kg, assume 1/4 of that at the front wheel, ~200kg, so when the car is dropped, the spring will compress (200/8) ~25mm. s if you put in a 4kg/mm spring, it will compress the spring ~50mm. etc etc.

the shocks have nothing to do with ride height either, you jsut have to make sure the shocks are within working range at the ride height selected.

in my ke70 i had 6kg front, with cut standard springs in the rear (i reckon about 4kg/mm)

although i wasnt into drifting at all, i could fell that it was quite loose even with those rates.

it must be noted that comfort generally comes from your shock absorbers. the initial impact you get from bumps is governed by how harsh the shocks are. some shocks give a very comfortable ride even with 10kg/mm, some give a bloody horrible ride with standard springs (~2kg). my s15 has VERY harsh shocks (standard items), so even with the very soft springs, its still quite a harsh/sporty ride.

also, bumpy ride is a cool novelty for the first few months, but bumpy isnt fast!

Edited by ke70dave

KE70 Dave is on the money. Personally I don't see why anyone goes ridiculously low and then puts in hard as shit springs makes it handle like crap. I reckon 6kg front 4kg rear and then like a 24mm front swaybar and 19mm rear swaybar it will have no body roll and stick like shit to a blanket and you wont slide out of control when you hit a slight bump.

If you're drifting 8kg front 6kg rear cause the ass end just bounces around and steps out cause it can't grip.

Personally I think people use stiff as shit springs to compensate for them cheaping out on (or buying incorrect) shock absorbers.

Having had 8kg/6kg in a 1300kg Silvia, I don't understand why anyone would ever contemplate putting those spring rates in a 900kg street driven Corolla. It would be so stiff its bordering on or beyond dangerous for the street. Even for drift a softer setup will work. I think its a bit of a myth that you need this ultra stiff setup to encourage the car to break traction.