Is Rollaclub Losing Its Friendliness?

Is it possible to have a compulsory spell check when ever you try to make a new post??

I can see now though that the problem with that would be that people (espeacially those with consistantly bad spelling) would just get very used to hitting the "ignore" button!!

When I make a new post I normally preview it just to do a bit of a proof read - this is what a lot of people need to start doing I think! So,... maybe if when making a new post if rather than having the 2 tabs at the bottom for "add reply" and "preview post" we only have the one for "preview post". That way the thread will then pop up in the preview box so the author can have a quick read, then scroll down to find the "add reply" button. I know everybody isn't going to do this, but maybe if they HAVE to see the preview they might find some spelling or grammar mistakes......like I just did then and found a couple! :)

^^this is the other advantage of the preview, I just decided that I wanted to add a couple more things, and now do not have to EDIT this post, but only add to it.

Can I also make note of somebodies recents attempts to rectify their bad spelling/grammar habits - Camerondownunder - Dude, your grammar particularly, used to be friggen shocking, and I know I'm not the only one that used to have trouble reading your posts some times. From your writing, you seemed like one of those guys who would need to take a huge breath after every sentence because you wanted to use every last molecule of air for speach!! ;) Purely through your lack of full stops.

I have noticed lately, that you have made a huge effort in your posts to make them a bit easier to follow, and I for one, am now understnading what you have written the first time I read it, not the 5th!! ;)

Well done matey!! :kiwi:

Edited by Taz_Rx

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i love the the shit fights bring on the hate :kiwi: BUT there is a time and place!

and as for people not being able to use proper English well then download firefox as it has a spell checker built in! I don't mind sms talk and shortened words I use them but i always try to re-read my post's to make sure if i have used those words its still easy to read/understand.

I have almost abandoned this forum all together. Mostly through the amount of frustration reading all those poorly written posts creates.

I am responsible for the quality of correspondence that leaves my workplace on a daily basis, I have to proof everything we send, and I have 15 subordinates who vary in their 'written expression'. I don't need to do that every time I get on here as well.

The search function is next to useless if you use a single abbreviated/SMS/leet word. It won't find 'zorst' if someone is searching for exhaust, and it wont find suspenzion if someone is searching for suspension.

I agree that the flaming that the noobs get is often excessive, usually its a result of the mods/admins having dealt with the issue numerous times. We need to address that - flame the repeat offenders, counsel the noobs. Its a balancing act that will take some time to rectify.

I don't think that the preview option is going to fix many if any of the posts because the problem posters will just scroll down - hit POST and not re-read. If they don't have time to type a full word then they certainly won't take the time to read the post AGAIN. Besides - the fast reply doesn't have a preview option :kiwi:

What if there was a "Preview" button instead of "Add Reply" and once pressed a spell check is launched. This would let them see in "Red" what isn't spelt correctly. Then after they have checked their spelling they would have access to the "Add Reply" button. If we had this we could see who doesn't check their spelling and who doesn't care. Any thoughts??

Edited by JiP_01

The thing you have to realise is that something like that would have to be implemented and coded into the forum which takes time and the admin here arent being paid to do it either JiP.

But that would definitely be a good idea providing its not too difficult.

I have been a large cause of many problems on this site in my time, and I have had my share of "discussions" with admins and mods, Whilst I haven't always agreed with their side, they have usually put their side across in a respectful and mature fashion, and kindly reminded me that they are the boss.

They do this work in their own time, for free to ensure that everyone that wants to, can enjoy this site.

I personally have hounded Nick for answers for things I have disagreed with, and he has never once complained about me doing it, and done nothing more than find an answer that will suffice.

At the end of the day.....whether you like it or not, the admin are going to get sick of dealing with the same problems over and over and maybe deal with one in not the ideal manner, as they are only human. So give em a break hey, and maybe the general public can help them a bit by pm'ing the average spellers and reminding them of the spell check etc instead of flaming them openly on the forum.

Everyone has solutions that can be written into the site, but that again takes more time out of people like Irokin's personal time, and if we all try a little harder, it wouldn't be necessary

I can't really say for the last month and a half i have done anything, Considering i haven't even spoken to most people here in that time. Reason being, i am at tafe in my final year for mechanical. I don't even have time to read this thread, as i was sent a link to it via msn just to have a look. I think ive been out of the house 4 times in the last month and a bit. 3 of those times on one weekend, the other one at the start. *crys*

In about a month from now, i will return and get back into this place. I still look over the forums briefly daily, to check for any major things...But until then... i have to go back to these books that apparently will lead to me getting a qualification to fix cars *ha, yeah'-riiight*...

Sorry guys.. Cya in a month. Teddy sets mode - back to stressing, not sleeping properly, eating or socializing. Or spelling.