1uzfe Into Ke70

If I were to put a 1UZ-FE in a small car like a KE70 or AE86, I wouldn't cut the firewall. Instead I'd spend the money on getting someone to make the 1UZ-FE hook up to a Porsche 944/928 transaxle. That way the weight of the gearbox is transferred to the rear (the diff and transmission become one unit), taking a lot of weight away from the front and putting it to the back. Suddenly you go from really front heavy to only very slightly front heavy, possibly even evenly balanced. It'd cost a fair bit (mostly on getting the independent rear suspension setup), but damn it'd be worth it!!!

that would definately be a wicked setup, with enough money it could happen too. i wish i had the money :lolcry: question is, would there be room in the back for it or would the floorpan need modification?

also about the idea of understeer and what not. True, the V8 in the front will definitely upset the weight balance, but you negate alot of the understeering characteristics of the car through clever suspension mods and setup right? i personally wouldnt use it for the track but I'm sure for dragging, burnouts and even drifting (once again with the right suspension set up) she'd be a pretty sweet combo right?

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that would definately be a wicked setup, with enough money it could happen too. i wish i had the money :lolcry: question is, would there be room in the back for it or would the floorpan need modification?

also about the idea of understeer and what not. True, the V8 in the front will definitely upset the weight balance, but you negate alot of the understeering characteristics of the car through clever suspension mods and setup right? i personally wouldnt use it for the track but I'm sure for dragging, burnouts and even drifting (once again with the right suspension set up) she'd be a pretty sweet combo right?

No. I reckon it would only be good if it was done in a similar fashion to Joshs' 86. ie: Massive firewall/tranny tunnel mods. It will never handle right if you don't. You need to avoid too much weight in front of the front axle. Once you put it on some corner scales you will see what everyones talking about. Do a v6 if you want torque and a v setup. It gives you the most cylinders behind the front axle without the extra 2 infront.

• 1 year later...

Talk about digging up a dinosaur! Looks like a bit of a squeeze there mungi! What box are you planning to run?

... LOL I just noticed your pics are as old as this thread, not much of a street car I take :D

Edited by beerhead

Talk about digging up a dinosaur! Looks like a bit of a squeeze there mungi! What box are you planning to run?

... LOL I just noticed your pics are as old as this thread, not much of a street car I take :D

nope

actually not a bad fit could remove the exhausts in place engine was back in the engine bay 120mm through the original firewall for weight balance

as for box had a r154 supra box

was a project drift car / something to do....

Cost

engine $900 -1200

gearbox w with bellhousing etc $1400

R154 with bell housing etc $2500-3000

computer n loom etc $1400

extractors n exhausts $700-1200

body work to make it fit .............

willwood pedal box $800

then normal coilovers etc

brake upgrade etc

wheels n tyres

not much change from $8000 doing it your self....

gone to china now...

Edited by mungi mods

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I think you've all massively over complicated it! Moving firewalls, porch transaxles...pft.

Lloyd Smith, hes sixteen years old, he built this in his shed, I shit you not I do lloyds

alignments for him. just a 1uz-fe in the standard spot no firewall moving etc, cams cage,

equal length four bar adjustable rear with a hilux diff.

What he did do that is different but makes sense is to use a s13 crossmember, therfore

it has a complete silvia front end. Means easy big brakes, coilovers, adjustment and massive angle!

Just had to move the centre of the strut top out about half the distance of the original hole, cus the s13

track is much wider, you can see this in the vid below. Engine is a stock as a rock just sequential Microtech

managment, 20v 4age ITB's and custom extractors, makes "only" 160kw atw but 550nm of torque!

Needs cams and compression for that top end to open up. First time out in this car he finished second.

It's an incredible car, mystery solved ..it works.

Oh and he can drive......watch out for the 360 at the end, a lloyd trademark.

Enjoy.

Edited by dangdang

That has been happening for years, he is not the only one that can do it :yes:

I'm aware others have been doing it for years but I don't know of many who

were doing at his age in a car they built themselves.

I know this is a bit of topic but check his victory lap out from Rd 1 this year

in his brothers car....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOev7OuDMYg...feature=related

Very nicely built car and seems to go well but the first pic of it clearly shows a cut and bashed firewall to get the motor back.

img0135m.jpg

Personally if I was doing it for anything other than a street toy a firewall cut would be a must, although a lot easier to get legal here in NZ than some Aussie states. The Nissan front crossmember obviously works well for drift but I would be less inclined to go that way myself due to the big changes needed to the strut towers, would do something like my KE70 ute with RA28 struts, RCA's, coilovers and Lexus/Celsior 4 pots with 315mm discs.

Callum

Cut to extend the tranny tunnel up and bashed with a hammer in a few spots

but the firewall itself is not moved "back" as most assumed is needed for weight distribution and handling.

I agree that a Toyota option on the crossmember may be a better option for a street toy.

Edited by dangdang

• 2 years later...