67Rolla Finally Back On The Road!

67Rolla-Ken

Members dont see this ad

Hey Ken,

Top work on the car mate, it's looking really good. Love that white paint. Looks thick and smooth!

Make your own choices and stick by them if it's the look you want. Haters gonna hate, and everyone is quick to throw out an opinion, but it's your car, your project and your vision.

That's the only thing you have to follow.

Keep up the killer work. You are inspiring me to get mine finished quicker!

Thanks Chobis & Davros. The paint is 6 coats of enamel, nice and thick so I can buff her back to shiney a few times :fuzz:

I also perfer the original look, but wanted to play with it a little. She will be very close to stock. The things I have changed I believe will compliment each other when she is on show. It should find some middle ground between the restorer crowd and the show crowd... least that is my aim.

I'm looking forward to showing her at Motorvation but a straight original restoration gets no attention there. The gauges, stereo & bling wheel should help her... and I like them :dance:

Edit: I've got her booked in for a full rewireing, show style (all hidden and battery in the boot). Just gotta book the bumpers and grill in for repair/rechroming and the dash pad in for retrimming. Sooo close :)

Edited by 67Rolla-Ken

• 2 months later...

Sooo f#*%ing pissed off with the whole thing! Need money (that I'm never likely to have) if I'm ever going to finish her, and I've spent too much money to give up.

Sick of having parts all over the place and trying to keep them from getting damaged.

Managed to scratch the drivers door today, then managed to punch a hole the bedroom door of the room it was in... didn't really help matters much, but it was required at the time :(

I know how you are feeling and i haven't even had the panel work done yet. Sometimes i just wanna throw it in, but i don't want to be one of those people that says they are gonna finish a car and never does.

I also have parts sitting around everywhere. I can only hope they still look good when i need them, haha.

Hang in there mate.

• 4 weeks later...

Updates!!

I'm feeling better about the whole thing now :D

I have money on the way that will let me finish the car to the standard I want.

I just brought some goodies, a overrated condition side indicator (still need to find other side :P) and... brand spanking new, genuine Toyota grill!! It's overrated condition, box looks like it's been on a shelf for 40 years :P

I should have the cash some time in December, so work starts in Jan.

Now I just have the following to sort out:

Assemble car gauges, rubbers and all (not as big a job as it sounds ;) )

Get car wired up (all hidden, battery in the boot), with new deck and speakers fitted :D

Get dash repaired

Get bumpers repaired

Re-chrome bumpers, headlight surrounds and side strips

Paint quarter window frame black (not the chrome bit the other bit)

Get windscreens fitted

Drive the car!!! ... back to the panel and paint shop :P

Then see if I can convince the Castrol Edge boys to do me up some racing vinyls for her :P

Would love the old green and red stripes on her... :D

That about does it... as far as I can remember :P

• 3 months later...

Guess who has the straitest KE10 bumpers in the world! :D

Cost more than I originally paid for the car to get this done but well worth it.

gallery_4749_89_2379469.jpg

gallery_4749_89_147977.jpg

They even have full coating on the inside. The chromer told me that they make sure everything is back to metal on the inside, then weld if needed (was needed in one spot of mine). Then when they dip it gets good coverage both sides :)

gallery_4749_89_1165142.jpg

A friend of mine recently did the bumpers on his shaker, paid less than me but had to paint the insides afterwards :(

gallery_4749_89_608540.jpg

Hard to get a good pic with the plastic on but I'm not taking that off till I'm ready to mount them.

Thanks.

Here's a pic with the new grill in. Ignore the lower panel not lining up, that's getting re-done at final touch up at the panel shop.

gallery_4749_89_1760483.jpg

Also has the new side indicators in. The parker lights are good but I'm going to get them, the headlight surrounds, the tail light surrounds, the side strips and the boot lid badge rechromed.

Not sure whether the build is awesome, epic or both.hehe

trick with those eBay repro indicators(late model ones) which I would imagine are different to yours, is to use the original surrounds but rechrome them and then use the rest if the repro stuff.

I've gone more for the zoom mag theory "putting the go before show" with my 11 for the last 6 years but since the manifold bloke moved in next door to work and has shown me that it doesn't take too much effort to get a show quality engine bay with my turbo setup. Which means the rest of the car inside and out needs be the same quality. A build not too unlike yours is now on the cards. Keep up the high quality work and thanks for the motavation to pull my car apart when I've got the new driveline sorted and try and make it as overrated as this beast.