Ke20 Suspension

mitch4397

Hey all.

Recently had my car at the mechanics. Went and paid a visit while it was up on hoist and he pointed out two problems that id like address in the near future.

Firstly my front left hand strut is Mcf*cked. He told me he couldn't replace that as their no longer available? So does anyone know if there are after market replacements to suit a 74' KE20, or if they are interchangeable with a later model rolla/Toyota????? and if these struts do exist what price range would i be looking at?

Secondly my car is too low/defectable, and apparently i wont be covered by insurance! I don't really want to raise it as I'm quite pleased with the current height. I'm currently using 2" blocks. I wouldn't mind changing that and instead flipping the springs to pretty much the same height. So question 2, does any know if flipping the leafs is deemed as 'legal' and if it can be engineered??? If it can be engineered is it just a matter of doing a good job and getting a tick, or is there some ridiculous checklist just to have it 2" lower???

South Aussie laws....

any suggestions/answers much appreciated.... :)

Cheers

Mitch

Edited by mitch4397

Members dont see this ad
Hey all.

Recently had my car at the mechanics. Went and paid a visit while it was up on hoist and he pointed out two problems that id like address in the near future.

Firstly my front left hand strut is Mcf*cked. He told me he couldn't replace that as their no longer available? So does anyone know if there are after market replacements to suit a 74' KE20, or if they are interchangeable with a later model rolla/Toyota????? and if these struts do exist what price range would i be looking at?

Secondly my car is too low/defectable, and apparently i wont be covered by insurance! I don't really want to raise it as I'm quite pleased with the current height. I'm currently using 2" blocks. I wouldn't mind changing that and instead flipping the springs to pretty much the same height. So question 2, does any know if flipping the leafs is deemed as 'legal' and if it can be engineered??? If it can be engineered is it just a matter of doing a good job and getting a tick, or is there some ridiculous checklist just to have it 2" lower???

South Aussie laws....

any suggestions/answers much appreciated.... :lol:

Cheers

Mitch

Ok Mitch Few things of concern.

Firstly, from your struts. Is it just the insert ie the shock or is the strut itself RIP. If it is the insert then I would challenge your mechanics effort as I am sure you can find a replace to do the job.

Secondly, there are two issues there. firstly the lowering block are not exactly legal. They are nto the best idea in the world and are a cheap way of doing things properly. Secondly is the "lowness" of the vehicle. Does any part of the vehicle hang below 100mm from the ground if not the all is good. This includes springs, exhuast tailshaft crossmembers etc etc. Basically the vehicle needs to clear a 100mm marker. from bitter experience 120mm is a better level and one that means you will not hit anything. Even though 100mm is the legal limit there is plenty out there that you will hit.

Cheers

I'm fair sure its the strut thats gone, he showing me and wriggling it around which it shouldn't be doing. The blocks were meant to be just cheap and temporary way of lowering the car also, until i got around to flipping the springs. As for the 100mm of clearance, i thought that was a VIC law not so much SA. Still interested in knowing whether or not leafs can be engineered if done correctly ie. flipped.

Cheers for reply strola

Mitch.

As for the 100mm of clearance, i thought that was a VIC law not so much SA.

It's SA aswell. Regency even has concrete barriers at the front of their pits 100mm off the ground, easy way for them to check the minimum lowness.

It's SA aswell. Regency even has concrete barriers at the front of their pits 100mm off the ground, easy way for them to check the minimum lowness.

ok, so if i were to get the leafs reset and it sat above 100mm above the ground it would be deemed as legal, despite the distance between wheel center and wheel arch.

I'm fair sure its the strut thats gone, he showing me and wriggling it around which it shouldn't be doing. The blocks were meant to be just cheap and temporary way of lowering the car also, until i got around to flipping the springs. As for the 100mm of clearance, i thought that was a VIC law not so much SA. Still interested in knowing whether or not leafs can be engineered if done correctly ie. flipped.

Cheers for reply strola

Mitch.

OK.. to quote your safety standards....

SUSPENSION

September 2003 Modifications to Passenger Cars, Car Type Utilities and Panel Vans Page 15 of 25

A vehicle's suspension system has been designed for adequate strength and durability as well as its level of ride,

comfort and handling. It is acceptable to fit upgraded springs, shock absorbers or anti-rollbars provided they

are correctly fitted and suitable for the vehicle. Some vehicle manufacturers have optional suspension

equipment available.

When lowering a vehicle body, either front or rear, the limiting factor is the clearance between the rubber bump

stop and the corresponding metal stop. This dimension must not be reduced by more than one third of that

specified by the manufacturer.

Transport SA has a list of acceptable suspension and eyebrow heights (the measurement from the centre of the

wheel vertically upward to the edge of the mudguard) for most passenger vehicles and can be contacted to

verify if the ride height of a vehicle is within acceptable limits.

Raising of the car is not recommended due to the cornering instability that may result. Often cars are raised

because the owner wants to fit large wheels and tyres that would otherwise contact the mudguards. In these

cases the wheels and tyres may themselves be illegal.

This is contained in SA Transport safety bulletin on page 15. From what I read here you require another document to determine the maximum lowering you can achieve. might want to search for that.

Secondly is no engineer in their right mind will engineer (ie put their name to) a modification which involves flipping a leaf spring, the correct way is to reset or re-leaf the spring. Placing the spring upside down can cause issues. mainly for the spring. Remember an engineer is certifying that the modifications are incorporated into the vehicle in a manor as not to endanger the occupants or other road users (including pedestrians.) The engineer is the ultimate for where the buck stops and if it is proved that he has made an error and the modification causes a resulting death then it is the engineer who has to be accountable for the certification of the modification.

Cheers

Serious? struts gone? They were replaced at Pedders I think 2004 from what I can remember looking through the reciepts.

I would be flipping leafs Mitch, still not legal but meh lol. the proper way is to reset the leafs so they are the original spring rate and safeness lol.

Theres no such thing as a KE2* too low :eatlead:

Cheers, Ben.

Serious? struts gone? They were replaced at Pedders I think 2004 from what I can remember looking through the reciepts.

I would be flipping leafs Mitch, still not legal but meh lol. the proper way is to reset the leafs so they are the original spring rate and safeness lol.

Theres no such thing as a KE2* too low :hmm:

Cheers, Ben.

yeah man left hand side. don't worry theres no way I'm changing the height :eatlead: just looking for a way that it can be done so the insurance company will cover me. flipping the leafs as easy as it sounds? Ill check thru them receipts and chase up pedders about the struts. got my hands on a brand new RAA badge, car now has redwalls. pics will be posted in rides thread soon :bash:

yeah man left hand side. don't worry theres no way I'm changing the height :eatlead: just looking for a way that it can be done so the insurance company will cover me. flipping the leafs as easy as it sounds? Ill check thru them receipts and chase up pedders about the struts. got my hands on a brand new RAA badge, car now has redwalls. pics will be posted in rides thread soon :bash:

Ahk, yeh flipping the leafs is actually fair easy. Search for my thread about flipping leafs, and pretty much print what Haydo said. that helped me alot.

How much did the badge set ya back? redwalls hmm was gonna get them before I sold it. Interested to see how it looks, never seen them ona 20 before.

Cheers, Ben.