Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Soulsearcher's Ae112r Sportivo Turbo

Featured Replies

Welcome to the world of toyota factory turbo manifolds, 95% of the GT-4 celicas (185) we get in have a cracked turbo manifold.

  • Replies 214
  • Views 159.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

its not just turbo manifolds

 

AE92 exhaust manifolds looooove to crack and leak.

 

The one thing to make sure of is that they welded the crack correctly (ie heated the metal before welding etc) or it wont stay too nice for too long.

 

You can make use of mild steel mandrel pipe aslong as you get it ceramic coated (in the end steam pipe is the better option)

  • Author

OH MY GOD!!!! It's looking sweeeeeeettttt!!!!

 

I was thinking of having the exhaust manifold made up in stainless early next year, I've got to wait until after christmas though...

 

Should be able to pick up the car on Tuesday :lmao: YAHOOO!!!!!!! *BIG GRIN*

its not just turbo manifolds

 

AE92 exhaust manifolds looooove to crack and leak.

 

The one thing to make sure of is that they welded the crack correctly (ie heated the metal before welding etc) or it wont stay too nice for too long.

 

You can make use of mild steel mandrel pipe aslong as you get it ceramic coated (in the end steam pipe is the better option)

 

Does it look like she has a non turbo or AE92, I am aware of the N/A manifolds cracking as the ae82 ones do them also but its more common to see a turbo one cracked.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

So I got my car back today, IT LOOKS AWESOME!!!!

 

BUT

 

I picked it up today (I had the CAI modified, the top intercooler pipe slightly modified, the exhaust manifold and dump pipe welded – the turbo was also sent away and examined and reported as 100% perfect), however now it’s running like heap of crap not a shower of shit! :) the tacho is kicking, 5000 – 7000rpm but where I used to get 60, 80, 100, 120 in gears 1 – 4 I’m now getting 40, 60, 80 … and eventually 100. I wondered if it was as simple as a fuel/air ratio or something that’s not connected properly or a stuffed sensor, or if it’s something more sinister….and if it was something that you can fix (like a noob mistake!). I’m taking back to my mechanics tomorrow but I’m not too sure what it could be... any ideas?

So I got my car back today, IT LOOKS AWESOME!!!!

 

BUT

 

I picked it up today (I had the CAI modified, the top intercooler pipe slightly modified, the exhaust manifold and dump pipe welded – the turbo was also sent away and examined and reported as 100% perfect), however now it’s running like heap of crap not a shower of shit! :) the tacho is kicking, 5000 – 7000rpm but where I used to get 60, 80, 100, 120 in gears 1 – 4 I’m now getting 40, 60, 80 … and eventually 100. I wondered if it was as simple as a fuel/air ratio or something that’s not connected properly or a stuffed sensor, or if it’s something more sinister….and if it was something that you can fix (like a noob mistake!). I’m taking back to my mechanics tomorrow but I’m not too sure what it could be... any ideas?

 

I hope they did not weld on the car, it may have fry-ed a few sensors, also silicon has been known to cause problems with sensors, or i a rag in the inter-cooler hose.

  • Author

they didn't do it in-situ, they took it all off to weld.

 

it feels like it's making boost, it's just got no go, the tacho is hitting the 6's really fast, it feels as though the engine is making the power, it just can't put it on the ground.....oh, and I'm using a lot of fuel too.... 1/2 a tank for about 120 klms but no leaks....

Just run a diagnosis, Something probably just needs to be reset but thats if they didn't disconnect the battery.

OH MY GOD!!!! It's looking sweeeeeeettttt!!!!

 

I was thinking of having the exhaust manifold made up in stainless early next year, I've got to wait until after christmas though...

 

Should be able to pick up the car on Tuesday :) YAHOOO!!!!!!! *BIG GRIN*

 

I've heard Stainless Steel isnt the go for Turbo engines as it doesnt hold the heat as well. Steam pipe FTW

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

so it's still in the shop :wink: but they've pressure tested all the joints - ok

they put it on a dyno (I got a whopping 60kW!!!) and found that there was an exhaust leak from the manifold, new gasket should be fitted tomorrow fingers crossed.

BOV diaphragm was furkk-ed (hence the different turbo noise!) so i got me one of theeeessseeee :P

 

post-1090-1231416517_thumb.jpg

 

it'll be going back on the dyno soon to get everything set up properly and then i'll be getting a boost guage so I know whats going on with the turbo, hopefully this saga will end soon and cheaply!

WOOO! 60FWKW hey its better than my car haha a lot of things are in the power department.

 

Good BOV noise tho :(

 

Karl.

Edited by Karllos

BOV diaphragm was furkk-ed (hence the different turbo noise!) so i got me one of theeeessseeee :wink:

so Raven was right....he made a comment about your BOV making a different sound at the photoshoot, he its probably stuffed. Seems he was right :(

 

Hopefully when its all sorted your dyno numbers are a bit more impressive, what do you think it will make? how much do it ideally want?

so Raven was right....he made a comment about your BOV making a different sound at the photoshoot, he its probably stuffed. Seems he was right :(

 

Hopefully when its all sorted your dyno numbers are a bit more impressive, what do you think it will make? how much do it ideally want?

 

last time i saw on the dyno it made ~105kw @ toyoshow08

Edited by MYSTIK

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.