Cutting Stock Springs

Mybowlcut

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a search on the site for RA60 struts in corollas before you bother, its a downgrade handling wise. Early corona or AE86 are your best upgrades strut wise.

Well, the RA60 struts/brakes are going in soon.. I was going to go into Pedders to get my car looked at and have my options laid out for me but I figure the different struts will affect what I can upgrade to haha. Will refrain from any cutting of springs until the new struts I guess. :)

Cheers for all of your help!

don't cut stock springs, they are too soft and need the extra coils so they don't bottom out.

its illegal because its dangerous and doesnt work. also no insurance cover if you have an accident.

aftermarket springs are shorter but stiffer to compensate so you don't bottom out.

they work well and are legal. also insurance approved as long as you tell them.

also a part of changing to stiffer springs is upgrading the damper rate to suit the stiffer spring,

and the damper stroke to suit the lowered height of the spring.

don't cut stock springs, they are too soft and need the extra coils so they don't bottom out.

its illegal because its dangerous and doesnt work. also no insurance cover if you have an accident.

aftermarket springs are shorter but stiffer to compensate so you don't bottom out.

also a part of changing to stiffer springs is upgrading the damper rate to suit the stiffer spring,

x2

You might get away with it, but the risk is not worth it. Why knowingly add a fault to your car that voids any cover??

x2

You might get away with it, but the risk is not worth it. Why knowingly add a fault to your car that voids any cover??

Exactly. Cut springs are one of the illegal things that are illegal for a very good reason (not just a revenue raiser or hippy green thingy). Cut springs alter the suspension dynamics of the car outside of the boundaries for which it was designed. Chopped springs often become non-captive, which means going over a big bump can actually force the spring out of the seats, thus transfering the full shock load of the wheels through to the body (and vice versa), not to mention completely screwing up your dynamics and quite likely spearing you off the road into a tree.

cable ties make them captive :doh:

Yes they are illegal but they wont make your car spear off the road if you are sensible and take appropriate precautions. In my experience, they wont bottom out, collapse or do anything nasty. I think my ke35 ended up having 2.5 coils cut out in the end and it wasn't too bad (we didnt actually have to take the coils out of the struts when we cut for the final time :laff: ) but I was running decent strut inserts.

Actually I think it was too low at 2.5 coils. It handled a lot better with 1.5 coils cut.

• 2 weeks later...

me and my bro have only ever ran cut springs, i can't see any reason why its bad if its done right, yes cut stock springs will bottom out easyer and may fall out if cut to far for the shocker.

what we always do is cut stock spring with shorter shocks, to start with, then run a stock heavyer spring cut down out of another car with the cut coil of the spring flattend out to sit in the pearch like stock ones, then run shorter shocks to keep them captive, or make spring holders/tags at the bottom spring pearch like 4wd's use. the shhhocks always are better though.

also not all aftermaket lowered springs are heavyer than stock, so really you run into the same problems as cutting stock springs. ive seen it lots of times.

i would just cut them if your only droping a small bit, they should even still be captive.

hope this helps

cheers, dan

CHOP 'EMM!!!!

is long as you drive normally it's fine.

I have good ol' "Makita" springs on my daily charade for over 2 years, and never had any trouble....it was just heaps bumpy and rooted my shocks...but it looked mad

up to you, but remember the following:

-One day you'll want to raise it back

-Defectable....damn 5-0...

-Changes steering/suspension dynamics of car

-EVERYTHING will come loose (interior) and start to rattle....f@$king annoying

-VERY bumpy

so not many positives there, but like i said it's ur call...

Common misconception - cut springs will be stiffer, not softer. If you cut them, you will need to increase the damping rate of your shocks to match.

Hence you see all the dumped ke-sevs getting around and they are "oversprung".