Fuel Economy

Mr Hardware

By the way, after racing my 4AGZE powered KE55 the other weekend (and running out of fuel at one point), I calculated my fuel economy for the race meet to have been about 30L used over about 80km. That's about 37.5L/100km. Sound a bit thirsty to anyone? Remember, this is a standard 4AGZE.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 18 years later...

Hi Jose !   Welcome aboard.  Where are you located ?  In Australia, there are a number of after-market fuel guage sender units available here, on ebay; primarily for the KE70.

image.thumb.png.ffa48959ff8c2ea375d83749193f5292.png

Not sure whether the sender unit, for the KE70 is the same as that for the KE55, although they were both built in the 1979-80 era.  Altezzaclub, might be able to clear that question up ?

Frankly, they are a pain in the butt, as sometimes, when the guage is not working; replacing the sender unit, does not fix the problem. The guage does not work off 12 volts, like most things in the car.  There is a small regulator, behind the dash instruments, that produces a 8V, or 9V voltage, to power the fuel guage, so it's reading does not jump up & down, with the battery voltage, which is always varying.  This regulator, sometimes burns out, & needs to be replaced. Happened to me, & you'll probably find a thread on this form, regarding that, if you search.

https://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/73224-that-pesky-little-guage-voltage-regulator/#comment-708505

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Where's the KE55 tank?  Behind the back seat?  Deep short tank? Quite the opposite of the KE70's one under the boot floor which is large in area but shallow. I'd expect different sender units.

The new KE70 one I bought off Ebay only gives half a tank reading, so you can have the top half and run out at halfway, or have a full tank showing half and run out at empty.

I don't know where you'd get a specific KE55 one from.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I think just by reducing fuel consumption in your KE55 Sedan, optimizing your driving habits can definitely help without costing anything extra. Try avoiding excessive idling and accelerating more gradually. Maintaining a steady speed and anticipating traffic flow can also minimize fuel wastage. These changes might surprise you with how much they improve your fuel efficiency(I speak from expirince here), even without any expensive upgrades