Old Oil?

MYSTIK

I had this thought after i had completed an oil change on my corolla and the parental mobile today, and i was wondering how other people in SA dipose of said used oil.

Now i usually put the oil in an empty oil bottle(s) and dad gets rid of them, that being said i have like 4 or 5 bottles atm, basically I'm after some advice, since my dad being slack(i guess being in his 60's he should be allowed to be)

so I'm going throw open the doors to discussion, comments, advice and information etc etc, (and no stupid comments like tip it down the drain either :) )

Edited by MYSTIK

Members dont see this ad

you could use it to stain timber a nice dark colour. :)

we used to put it along the bottom of the paling fence. it would soak it right up and turn a nice black colour.

otherwise you can pay to have it disposed of in an environmentally friendly way.

Up here, a lot of mechanics/dealerships etc have waste oil disposal, and on top of that every 12 months the council has a household chemical collection service, which can take used engine oil up to 20L (since we have two councils in close proximity, it's more like one every 6 months).

At the local waste depot they will dispose of it for you legally. There are a couple of places like this on my area I'm sure there would be more i think there was near magil too when i helped clean out my grandads garage after he passed away. I think places like sprints or autopro might have sorta disposal happening too.

Did a quick google http://www.prospect.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=1084

Alot of waste oil collection gets sold to refinery's down south that puts it in separators and is chemically enhanced and then sold off as your home brand oils.

What I mean by chemically enhanced is how they service large cargo ships, They don't do a oil change but instead they check the mineral levels in the oil and replace what is lost.

if you need to kill some weeds.............

no weeds to kill, backyard is either paved/concrete

might ask the mechanic if he'll take them for a small fee, when i drop my car off on monday to get the fuel filter changed(yes i had a go at changing it and i don't think the bloody thing has been changed in the last 10yrs)