Somethind Different - F20c Vtec In Ae82

SOMETHIND DIFF...

So i know many off you will bag on vtec and spending thousand on my 1500 dollar rolla, but i've allways wanted to rebuild my car from the ground up... instead of the usual 4age 100kw motor or a 20v silvertop/blacktop, i've decided to go and do something a lil different... remove my slugish 4ac, and stick a honda f20c motor, straight out of a s2000... I'm wanting to know your opinions on this, keepin in mind that atm time and money isnt a prob...

post-8042-1243163089_thumb.jpg

post-8042-1243163153_thumb.jpg

post-8042-1243163180.jpg

post-8042-1243163295_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What gearbox will you run?

Who's going to engineer it?

Never say money is not a problem, because it will be at some point.

do you have access to one of these engines? They're a bit on the rare side....

Suspension upgrades? You'll want something serious if you want to keep it on the road.

Brakes? See above.

Have you got a tape measure out yet and found if it physically will fit?

Realistically, how much can you spend?

How much work can you do yourself?

Can you register it with it?

What shafts will you use?

Engine mounts?

Seriuosly, it'd be easier (cheaper?) and more fun just to buy an S2000.

I don't think you have a hope of carrying it off. If you do, I will cheerfully eat humble pie.

Edited by Redwarf

Seriuosly, it'd be easier (cheaper?) and more fun just to buy an S2000.

+1

If money is no problem, there's your answer.

If you've selected this engine just "to be different" then that's a very very poor reason. There's no shame in putting a 20 valve 4A-GE in it then spending the huge amount of money you've saved making it handle like its on rails. Realistically I think if you were genuine about doing the amount of custom work involved in putting an F20C in you probably wouldn't have posted this thread. If the car was RWD I probably wouldn't doubt it so much.

3SGE beams would be an idea of something different you could do. It has been done before, so you know it will work. But its nowhere near as common as the 4AGE conversion is. It would be much easier IMHO and there would be information about it on the web.

Just some food for thought. If you do the F20C conversion It would end up being an awesome rig once its finished.

I pretty much agree with what everyone else has said. It will be a mountain of a job putting this into that chassis with a FWD setup.

Other than the questions Redwarf has put to you, think about these:

1. Do you really really like the car

2. Are you prepared to spend upwards of $10,000 (prob more) on this car and will you still really really like it when you have?

In my opinion if and when you commit to an engine conversion you really have to have sat down and made a budget, double it and then some and really consider if it is worth it in the particular car.

I like all Corolla's but at the end of the day it is still an AE82 Seca that probably won't get any looks from anyone, nor will anyone probably pay attention when you drive it even though it has that motor in it. Yes you build cars for your own enjoyment but if noone else likes it it is not as enjoyable. :dance:

as said by TOYOTA AE71 - there is another gearbox that will fit,

and CLOWN, i could se something like a B18C SPEC R out of a integra 1997 - 2001, but i enjoy a challenge but i supose puttin the b18c would be much, much cheaper, and only 30kw less, so you make perfect sence, howeve, i was lookin at either a k20a or the f20c, and at the time the f20c seemed more fun and more off a challenge for me...

and badowski... NO, JUST PLAIN NO...

REDWARF... I have D2 fully adjustible coilover suspension on order allong with D2 330 Mm 8piston front and 6piston rear brakes... realistically, it either the car or move out of the caravan park... havn't thought bout rejo yet....

JONO... YES ! considering the care cost me 1500 with 6 months rejo, the brakes cost more then the whole car :dance:

LUKE AE71... 1- i love this car, if i could choose beetween my wife or my car... lets just say i'll sighn the divorce papers in an instance.... 2- as i said above it either move out of the caravan park or do this project... i've 15k saved, witch has been from the last 8 years of workin...

FELIX... as i said above i would get a divorce to the love of my life b4 sellin this car...

as said by TOYOTA AE71 - there is another gearbox that will fit,

and CLOWN, i could se something like a B18C SPEC R out of a integra 1997 - 2001, but i enjoy a challenge but i supose puttin the b18c would be much, much cheaper, and only 30kw less, so you make perfect sence, howeve, i was lookin at either a k20a or the f20c, and at the time the f20c seemed more fun and more off a challenge for me...

and badowski... NO, JUST PLAIN NO...

REDWARF... I have D2 fully adjustible coilover suspension on order allong with D2 330 Mm 8piston front and 6piston rear brakes... realistically, it either the car or move out of the caravan park... havn't thought bout rejo yet....

JONO... YES ! considering the care cost me 1500 with 6 months rejo, the brakes cost more then the whole car :dance:

LUKE AE71... 1- i love this car, if i could choose beetween my wife or my car... lets just say i'll sighn the divorce papers in an instance.... 2- as i said above it either move out of the caravan park or do this project... i've 15k saved, witch has been from the last 8 years of workin...

FELIX... as i said above i would get a divorce to the love of my life b4 sellin this car...

Doing a B18 would be infinitely harder due to the engine spinning the wrong way.....

And if you are so much in love with a non-Twincam AE82 Seca, and would divorce your wife over it, you have serious problems dude.