"dodgy" Mods Youve Done To Your Car

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do I start.

Cable tying the front springs in to stop them falling out.

Draining the oil out of the front struts and refilling with a thicker oil - old sump oil that is

Fitting cut down V8 Kingswood springs to my Ke20 without changing the struts. Would bounce like a pogo stick

Leaving bellhousing bolts out because I couldn't be shagged doing them up.......

Headlights strapped in with Cable Ties

Accelerator Pedal mounted with a Tec (roofing) screw

Race seat mounted to a steel spacer so it would reach the rails, also mounted with tec screws

"adjusted" the kink in the chassis by strapping the rail to a tree and backing up really fast

Couldn't get the last quarter of my exhaust to fit, so now it dumps straight down in front of the diff

Wired horn in with speaker cable (passed roady)

And many many more.......

Amateurs.

Engine attached to vehicle with 8 gauge fencing wire, no bolts

Broken throttle cable replaced with (stolen) bmx rear brake cable

Blown fuses replaced with cigarette packet foil wrapped around blown fuse

Cracked diff tube fixed by wrapping in duct tape and making 'splint' out of spanners and yet more fencing wire

Tyre with staked sidewall repaired by breaking one bead and stuffing with spinifex grass (it got us home)

That will do for the moment

Pushed in the clutch pedal on my Datsun 1600 and...........nothing happened.

Pull over, get out of car and look underneath.

Clutch slave is hanging down after the bolts fell out of the stripped threads in the bellhousing - always meant to do something about that.

Hmm, is that a Bunnings over there?

20 minutes later happily driving off again.

The fix? Two dyna bolts. Did such a good job, I never bothered taking them out again.

Some more, I like this thread......

Used a tree as a fulcrum point to "jack up" a car with a tractor

expanding foam in a tire to fix a puncture

Stockings used as a fan belt

Beer can used to patch a hole in the side of the block caused by one of the pistons deciding it wanted to travel the world, held in with rope (yay for the mighty 202, drove us 135 Km home......)

Ran a 180B wagon on 2 stroke for 6 months after we discovered we'd split the sump open on a rock, eventually died due to failing to clean the dry chem off the engine, that stuff's bloody corrosive.......

Exhaust pipe split it's weld attaching it to its muffler, became rattly, so I cut it off...... yet to fix...... But don't really care

Gravity fed a car to get it home after fuel pump died, was interesting.....

Repaired a split fuel line with electrical tape just outside of Hobart after the flames went out......... That one was fun......

Let's hear some more gems from Sir Shades....... :)

Not the dodgiest, but possibly the most amusing....

When I was living in Germany I had a busted arse BMW 535i. Manual. Was awesome :)

Anyway on a weekend off in the Czech Republic we stupidly left it parked in the 'drunk' district of Prague whilst we went tottering off to eat drink and be merry... When we came back several hours later ALL the side windows had been smashed.

Oh and it has been snowing... and was STILL snowing... so not only was the interior half full of ice but the prospect of driving back to Germany with no windows in the middle of a European winter was not an appealing idea.

So we found a servo. bought a hobby knife and a roll of 100mph tape, and then found a cafe with those clear plastic curtain thingies to keep the rain out... waited until it closed for the evening.... cut cut, trim trim, tapey tapey, new windows :y: