"dodgy" Mods Youve Done To Your Car

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lowered a mates commodore today by cutting the springs. When the time came to do the front we didn't even pull the struts out or the springs out of the struts. Just cut em while they were in there...... LOL bloody commodores.

ive cut quite a few springs, and ive never taken them out. Just cut til its almost through, then stand back a bit to cut the rest haha.

On my old panel van my rear drive lights and number plate lights didnt work. So i ran a wire from the battery to a switch in side then to the back lights so i could turn them on manually. Also was good because i could turn the number plate light off for back street skids.

Also on panel van, broke the window winder, so just hooked a multigrip on there. And the drivers window came unstuck, so i just put a few blobs of silicon on the rail and put the glass back in. Worked fine til i got rid of it.

On my old panel van my rear drive lights and number plate lights didnt work. So i ran a wire from the battery to a switch in side then to the back lights so i could turn them on manually. Also was good because i could turn the number plate light off for back street skids.

Another trick is to hardwire the reverse lights to a switch on the dash so you can freak people out at 110Kp/h on the highway when they're sitting on your arse and you "grab reverse"

For some reason they back off pretty smartly...... :jamie:

Also on panel van, broke the window winder, so just hooked a multigrip on there.

Lol that reminds me of when I hooked up a shifter to the adjuster on a car seat because I lost the little winder thing to move it around and adjust the back rest position.

Another trick is to hardwire the reverse lights to a switch on the dash so you can freak people out at 110Kp/h on the highway when they're sitting on your arse and you "grab reverse"

For some reason they back off pretty smartly...... :)

You don't need to do that with a K40 or K50. The switch for reverse is on the gate for reverse (resistance you feel) and the gear doesn't actually need to be engaged. So all you need to do to flash to reverse lights is push the shifter all the way to the drivers side. Obviously don't engage reverse while going forward. :P

You don't need to do that with a K40 or K50. The switch for reverse is on the gate for reverse (resistance you feel) and the gear doesn't actually need to be engaged. So all you need to do to flash to reverse lights is push the shifter all the way to the drivers side. Obviously don't engage reverse while going forward. :)

Did that a few times when I still had the KE55, was quite fun watching people's reaction in the following cars - so much more effective than brake-checking a tailgater, that's for sure (and less likely to result in damage to your car)

i lost an engine mounting bolt and used a fuel bolt.

funniest part was of the two bolts one came loose and fell out, it wasnt the fuel bolt. LOL!!!

replaced botht he bolts with nylocks.

alternator bolts came out. couldnt find a bolt thick enough to replace it. made it thicker with electric tape. then wondered why my battery wasnt charging.

replaced the bolt.... with a nylock.

broke a wheel nut with the bolt thread off when over tightening it. its a five stud itll be ok. put the cover on and sold the car.

cable tied radiator in place. no bolts.

when i had no stereo and cd players in cars where not common. put a discman on the centre console and non powered computer speakers mounted near the top of the seat belt so i could actually hear them.

prolly more but i can't think of them

Edited by Valandor

• 2 weeks later...

on track cars in victoria, you need to have 2 coolant overflow bottles so if one over fills doesnt spill coolant all over the track.

(cars a ae71 with a 13B)

they had a 600ml pepsi bottle as the temp overflow bottle, so i decided to do my part in helping out.

"stole" is such a dirty word, so i borrowed a overflow bottle from one of the tafes cars (old school laser), some cable and a bit of wire this is what i came up with

by far the dogiest things i ever done (it works, its sturdy . HIGH FIVE)

post-8435-1257065864_thumb.jpg

post-8435-1257065918_thumb.jpg

post-8435-1257065974_thumb.jpg

pulled 81,3KW @ 9000rpm and not a drop of coolant on the dyno :2thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Not so much a Mod, but more an emergency fix.

Was driving home along the Ring rd around 1am on Boxing Day morning one year. Coming up the hill near Pascoe Vale rd, and all of a sudden, I hear this "bang-thump-thump-thump-thump". I imediately pull over, and under the light from my phone rip off the front wheel, take a look - my front calliper is hanging off - bugger, lost the top mounting bolt, and the bottom is hanging on for dear life. Fix: got a 1/4 in drive socket (I believe an 8mm), pulled out the bottom bolt and put that in the top. Then using the socket to line up the bottom hole, I tighten the top bolt using my handy 6in shifter. Drove very, very carefully home using gears, and handbrake for the final 30min...