Ke30 Rotorolla

kangaroosa

I've been working up the motivation to do this for a while now as its been on the road for 6 months or so. The car is street registered and engineered for all the mods.

I've had this car for 8 years with numerous K motors in it before the urge to have a Rotary got the best of me 3 years ago. I got engineers approval and then ripped out the Hot 5K and twin carbs and sold them before I changed my mind about the conversion.

I hit walls where workshops would quote $7K - $10K to do mounting of the motor and gearbox.....

Then winter rolled on and I really couldnt be bothered with the car. I had brief patches of motivation during that time where I tackled the bodywork and set about cutting out all the rust and welding in new sections.

I had an R31 diff shortened, rebuilt and fitted. I eventually found a workshop that charged $3K to mount the Motor, Gearbox, Custom Tailshaft, Custom Extractors and a few other small fabrication jobs that I preferred a qualified welder to tackle.

I then set about prepping it for paint. Many weekends were spent rubbing it back and smoothing over the repaired sections.

I painted the car in Acrylic Lemon Yellow Tinter.

The engine, gauges and dash were all then wired up and the interior fitted along with the cage.

New rubbers, felts and tinted windows were then thrown at it.

Its a bundle of fun to drive on weekends and the occasional workday, and I never get sick of the noise.

Engine and Driveline:

- S1 RX7 12A Rotary - Std 103rwkW

- 48DCOE Weber

- S5 RX7 Gearbox

- Xtreme Clutches Chrome Moly Flywheel

- Xtreme Clutches Heavy Duty Clutch

- Custom Tailshaft

- Stretched Trans Tunnel

- 2" Extractors Into 2.5" system with a Rotaflo Muffler (will be going to a twin system to the diff when I BP the motor)

- Pedal Box modified to Hyrdaulic

- R31 Skyline LSD Shortened Diff

- Tailshaft Loop

- VL Commodore Radiator

- PWR Oil Cooler

- Holley Red Fuel Pump

- Holley Fuel Pressure Regulator

Brakes and Suspension:

Front

- Front Pedders Coilover sleeve kit

- Pedders 7kg Springs

- Shortened XT130 Corona Struts

- SV21 Camry KYB Excel G Shocks

- Peugeot 505 Rotors

- Landcruiser 4 Pot Calipers with RX7 Green Stuff Pads

- VN V8 1" Master Cylinder

- ###### TE37 Strut Brace

Rear

- R31 Skyline Disc Brakes and Calipers

- Reset Leaves with an extra leaf or two

Wheels and Tyres:

- Performance Alloy Wheels - Challengers

- Front 15" X 7" 11P

- Rear 15" X 7" 25P

- Yokohama AVS ES100 195/50 R15

Interior:

- Retrimmed Interior using XR8 Fabric

- Autometer and (soon to be Stewart Warner) gauges

- Bolt in 4 Point Alloy Cage

- Immobilisor

- Pioneer Head Unit - Phillips 6" Splits and Phillips 6x9's - I bought this gear for the car back in 1998. It was the bee's knees and its still going strong to this day

- Kicker Amp

Exterior:

- Lemon Yellow Acrylic Tinter

- Tinted Windows

- New Rubbers throughout

Future Plans:

- VL Radiator will be fitted this weekend

- Shim up the gearbox to reduce the slip yoke angle

- BP my S3 Engine and fit my 48IDA Weber to it

- Replace exhaust with 2" Pipes off the extractors into twin Rotoflo resonators into a 2.5" coupling, and over the diff into a Rotaflow Muffler

- Stewart Warner Gauges have been ordered and will be replacing the Speco crap. Speco elec water temp gauge reads 10deg too high.

Rust Repairs

post-336-1260428812_thumb.jpg

In Primer

post-336-1260429234_thumb.jpg

Just Painted

post-336-1260429331_thumb.jpg

Pedal Box

post-336-1260429355_thumb.jpg

All Polished Up

post-336-1260429416_thumb.jpg

Stretched Tunnel to accomodate Gearbox

post-336-1260429476_thumb.jpg

As it is today except for the new regulator and gauge. Also replaced those radiator hoses with normal ones.

post-336-1260429578_thumb.jpg

The finished product

post-336-1260429621_thumb.jpg

Door Trims - 3mm MDF - I Sewed the fabrics together and contacted them to the MDF

with a layer of Automotive foam to give it some cushion and depth.

post-336-1260443818_thumb.jpg

Re-upholstered Seats. Most importantly a Fire Extinguisher in plain sight and arms length.

post-336-1260443883_thumb.jpg

Edited by kangaroosa

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice buddy, looks the goods, how does she go with the 12A?

The first time I drove it I got out with shakey hands. But that wasnt hard considering my daily is an N14 Pulsar with 415,000km on the clock.

The other week I went on the back of my boss's Hayabusa that he got up to 240km/h in just seconds. The rolla feels quite sedate after that ride.

definately one of the nicest keXXs ive seen, really nice work. Like what you've done with the grill too, nice and original.

Did you get those wheels new? do you mind me asking where you got them from and for how much?

EDIT: i found the website, but noticed they are 5 stud? Did you have to request a special made set and what offset? Thanks

Edited by jader

definately one of the nicest keXXs ive seen, really nice work. Like what you've done with the grill too, nice and original.

Did you get those wheels new? do you mind me asking where you got them from and for how much?

EDIT: i found the website, but noticed they are 5 stud? Did you have to request a special made set and what offset? Thanks

I actually saw them ebay with no bids, so I offered the bloke cash because i wanted them bad. He jumped at the offer (this was a few years ago). They came off his Datto 1600 many years back.

You can get them new in 4x114.3 15x7" for ~$230/rim. Look on the site for distributors. If your from Melb, I got the above price from MG Workshops in Mulgrave.

I was told by the owner that if i took the rolla in he could measure it up for the right offset. So I assume they make them to suit.

Matt - TE278U (Dave?) spotted me the other weekend and stopped for a chat. I really only get it out on weekends, but havent driven too far as i'm still sorting out the bugs. I just added a couple of interior pics too.

Edited by kangaroosa

i would love to see this in the flesh if you are coming to the christmas dinner tonight.

woah hendo, you're a week early. Dec 18th is dinner.

very nice to see this is out and about Roosa :hmm: i bet you're well chuffed that it's all engineered now.

to bad you just missed out on the rolla car of the year.

it would have been awesome to see a rotary in there

just got another question with the oil cooler some peole say you can use a trans cooler to do the same thing are they the same???????????

I saw that award topic a while back and intentially didnt post until after voting had closed. Not because I thought I would win, but i hate competitions.

Trans coolers generally have the wrong fittings on them from what I have noticed. They are a small tube fitting where most engine oil coolers have a threaded ball and cup seal arrangement. don't know much about whether they would flow the same as oil coolers or if the galleries are of a different size.

Rotaries tend to run high oil pressure as well. On a cold idle mine has 85-90psi. Once warm it was 45psi. I assume thats alot more than a trans cooler can cope with.

KEhendo - I didnt really plan to go to the dinner...then again i hadnt really read the thread properly so i didnt know what was happening.

Felix - I have never seen a set of those carbs on a Rotary. I Wonder if the manifolds are even still available, or possibly they might even be a standard IDA manifold. I wonder how they compare to a properly tuned IDA.

seabiscuit - I tried selling the plate for retail price and didnt have any interest. Seemed like a good plate at the time, but on the car it just seemed a bit wanky. People that stop for a chat seem to love it though. So maybe i'm just being too critical.

dfunkt - I was relieved when i got it through the emmissions testing (as part of engineering) second time around as that was the one major hurdle that was giving me grief. It breezed through everything else.

The rectify list was only five items long:

- Emmissions <500ppm HC. It was over 1000ppmHC (Change back to standard Nikki Carb - Tune it for E85 Fuel - Fit Air Pump)

- Reduce front track by 13mm (Get 3mm machined off the mounting face of some TRX rims and bolt them on)

- Replace all seatbelts (Expensive but easy)

- Mutifit wheels are illegal - (Replace with TRX rims as above)

- Rear Leaves too low - (Get some stock leaves reset with an extra leaf, but not as low in ride height)

Pretty easy stuff really.

Thanks to everyone one else for their kind words.

Edited by kangaroosa