Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CRISIS OVER PEOPLE!!!!!!!

Pulled the engine out today and replaced the oil pump and o-ring with a 2.4mm thick one. I now have 70psi on startup. 55psi at idle when up to temp and 70psi under power. Touch wood - Lets see how long it lasts.

I'm yet to drive it on the road, so i guess that will be the real test tommorrow.

Yeah sure..... If you'll be my character witness in court and drive me to work when the Police catch up with me and their hoon laws.

Hahahahaha lol

Lolz. Come down to a melbourne cruise if you want to see it in action :yes: That's why i (and many others) go most of the time!

Another reason for me to get my car ready asap ! :happy:

glad to hear, don't worry about the haters

True, when they are left for dead at the lights/on the strip who's laughing then ?!

• 3 weeks later...

The latest addition is an Xtreme Rotaries built 12A BP which is currently in the build.

The spare motor I had tucked away was supposably a 7000km old EP. It strangely came back from a dyno tune 12 months ago with added smoke trails, so its been tucked away in the shed until now. The strip down revealed that it may have been 7000kms since the rebuild, however it looked like 100,000km old parts were used to build it :lol:

The only salvagable parts were the rotors and the plates. Although the plates appeared to have been ported using a dremel, and the seals had caught on the port leaving the port edges chipped and gauged.

The eccentric shaft was also 70gms out of balance. The wrong front counterweight was used which showed up nicely with the tell tales signs of where it made its own clearance in the timing cover.

So the build consists of:

Machined down 13b housings

Hi flow oil pump

New seals throughout

Balanced eccentric shaft down to 0.02gm tolerance (I was there when he got the final result, and I must say he was bloody happy considering how far it had come)

Stat gears from a later model

S3 End plates - Bridgeported - They came back from being heat treated earlier in the week.

48 IDA Weber

The distributor will be modified to suit....and no, not locked at full.

Lots of other stuff that I have forgotten

The plates are being painted in a bright yellow 2-pack and the engine should be ready for pickup late next week.

I picked up some 2-pack yellow paint for the engine bay, so my next mission is to rip the engine out along with everything in the bay and give it a freshen up as thats the only part of the car that hasnt got some love in the build.

Machined down 13B Housings - They have an oil coating on them so thats why its a bit patchy and dull.

post-336-1276761233_thumb.jpg

Bridge Ported Plates - Yet to be lapped.

post-336-1276761618_thumb.jpg

Last weekends job was to fix the brakes as they have had no bite in them for some time.

The solution was machined rotors all round. EBC Red front pads and EBC Green Rear Pads. The R31 callipers were also siezed as they had corroded in the hand brake mechanism. Apparently its common with these and XF callipers. The locked on callipers had glazed up the rotors, and the fronts were glazed aswell which wasnt helping the situation.

The symptom that urged me to fix the issue was the rear of the car skipping and making bad noises through corners. I first assumed a dud diff, but it appears it was just the brakes trying to lock and causing the car to shudder and skip.

Anyway, I use and highly recommend EBC Red Pads. Good cold bite (better than any Bendix Pads) and with some warmth in them, they are awesome. They don't squeel, and are advertised with low dust output. I have only done 200kms and my wheels are covered in dust, but i hadnt cleaned them after the pad change so it could be from the old pads. Not to mention all the break-in coating that may have come off the new pads.

Edited by kangaroosa

awesome.

thats so cool can i have the old motor ??????

Sorry but the old motor will be getting cling wrapped and tucked away in the shed. It will see the light of day when I need to pass an epa or dB test when the BP gets me defected.

I spoke to the builder today and its all assembled. I'm dropping in tommorrow to give him the IDA and a few other parts so he can chuck it on the engine dyno. It will be tuned and have the timing set, so it will be ready to drop into my car without any issues. Its just in the final stages now, and he wants to get it all done so he can get some other work done before the Jamboree rush.

He seems really excited about this motor....as am I. :lol:

More pics to come tommorow. Hopefully even an engine dyno vid next week if I get there in time.

Edited by kangaroosa