7Agte 20V Blacktop

_FNQ_rolla_

Members dont see this ad

Thanks for the feed back Si. :y:

Dummy fitted the hoses to see what it all looks like and I think I am going to turn the oil cooler up the other way just in case I do create an airlock. (It’s not hard to change everything at this early stage).

The other thing I am going to change is the intercooler water radiator so the fins are running horizontal, that way they will be the same as the engine radiator.

post-10153-0-11640400-1349504312_thumb.jpg

I’ve got some aluminium pipes and silicone hoses that I might need to plumb the turbo to the inlet manifold via the liquid intercooler barrel. I will start on that next week if I get some time.

• 2 weeks later...

I turned the oil cooler up the other way and I changed the intercooler water radiator so the fins are running horizontal, that way they will be the same as the engine radiator.

post-10153-0-32173800-1350212161_thumb.jpg

I did want to run the oil cooler hoses towards the front of the car as in the photo but I will just run them over the top of the radiator and back the remote oil locator on the side of the block.

Over the weekend I plumbed up the intercooler and polished up all of the aluminium pipes.

The following two pictures show where the blow off valve will be attached. I have the blow off valve exhausting into the turbo intake at an angle that it exhaust’s onto the turbo impeller wheel to help keep the inertia. (It will probably not amount to anything, but with this build I am trying to get the most out of everything)

post-10153-0-94124500-1350901510_thumb.jpg

post-10153-0-19883700-1350901529_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of extra pictures that show the plumbing of the intercooler piping with the liquid to air intercooler being placed in front and in the centre of the motor. (Everything polished, I like shiny things)

post-10153-0-95907300-1350901562_thumb.jpg

post-10153-0-65491300-1350901578_thumb.jpg

post-10153-0-32829300-1350901605_thumb.jpg

What it looks like from the front, just low enough for the bonnet to close.

post-10153-0-88603100-1350901636_thumb.jpg

Next on my list of things to do is remove everything in the engine bay for a paint job to give it a tidy up.

man that does look really cool, all very well thought out.

Yep. Pretty much what I was thinking!! 👍

A good mate I went to trade school with, has seen some very "cool" results with his water to air cooler on his 944 turbo. Seems to be the way to go these days.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback.

The more I look at this and the benefits of water to air, the more I'm leaning towards it also,

I'm sure if you had a top mount turbo make that hot pipe look straight,

Nice work mate

Not really sure what you are saying about a top mount turbo and I do think that top mount turbo’s look good but in a small engine bay I went for a low mount for a couple of reasons;

1. With the turbo manifold I had the turbo mounted / positioned a little further away from the block so the runners for the turbo were straighter (bends slow down the exhaust velocity)
  2. With a low mount turbo the bend straight after the turbo has less of a bend than a top mount would and then there’s the bend from the dump pipe that goes under the car, this also has less of a bend then a top mount (once again bends slow down exhaust velocity)

Again these little things may not amount to anything, but with this build I am trying to get the most out of everything)

man that does look really cool, all very well thought out.

There has been a lot of planning going into this

Yep. Pretty much what I was thinking!! 👍

A good mate I went to trade school with, has seen some very "cool" results with his water to air cooler on his 944 turbo. Seems to be the way to go these days.

With the boost pressure I am planning to run with this engine I will be running the liquid to air barrel with an ice slurry to help lower the intake air temperature.

Seems you have answered my question and can relate to the manifold design for efficiency, was hard to tell in the pics, but as always on the ball,

I do wonder how many times you have changed your mind on the setup and parts to get where you are, haha, I hate that, bah